Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Itching is driving me mad!  (Read 44554 times)

lizzie1

Itching is driving me mad!
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »

Hi everyone.  I have been driven crazy by anal itching for over a year now.  It has now spread to my vulva and, sometimes, down my thighs.  My GP has prescribed various creams which give temporary relief but this does not address the cause.  She appears to be sceptical about a menopause link (tells me I keep going on about the menopause!).  Does anyone have the same symptoms and have you found a solution?  I am 56 - hot flushes etc are now rare and things have otherwise settled down.  I have never taken HRT.  I'm hoping someone can help or at least confirm this is a "normal" menopause symptom which will eventually go away!!  Thank you.  Lizzie

Taz2

Re: Itching is driving me mad!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »

I've just found this in an article online

"Anal itching, known medically as ­pruritus ani, is a fairly common ­condition that may occur either in ­or more often around the anus.

It's rarely serious although it may be embarrassing and difficult to treat. In post-menopausal women, pruritus ani ­is often associated with itching around the vagina (pruritus vulvae)."

This is the full article http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/sex-relationships/60-seconds-on-anal-itching-99153   Not sure if there are any tips there you haven't tried?

Taz

lizzie1

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »

Taz, many thanks.  I will take a look.  Lizzie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:19:34 PM »

I had this years before I realised I was in peri-menopause  >:(
The GP told me to make sure that I wiped properly as if the region dries out too much it can cause itching and to use Anusol
There are various creams which can be bought over the counter  :sigh:
Johnsons baby powder can help - DH often has to puff some into my crease lines after my bath  :D
LIVE yoghurt applied might help.  Messy though  ;)
LIVE yoghurt eaten may assist the 'good' bacteria in the gut which may ease symptoms
I have recently purchased of some damp 'wipes' to use when at home after a bowel movement ........

lily

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 09:43:16 PM »

Do you use soap?  That might be drying you out too much.  I wash with dermol lotion, which I get on prescription for dry, itchy skin and it can be used as moisturiser too.

LizeeeH

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:06:42 AM »

I have the vulva itching drives me NUTS! last time doc did a swab and was BV but when I went the last time to see her she just dismissed it and said its not BV if I have no discharge and it doesn't smell (sorry ;D).....I was so annoyed with her forgot to say the last time she did the swab and confirmed BV I HAD NO DISCHARGE OR SMELL  arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :'(

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »

I don't like the toilet wet wipes. They are usually scented and have alcohol in them. I found they made me dry and itchy. Baby wipes are good but it's not recommended to flush them.
I don't use any body wash in that area. Just warm water. Everything I have ever tried made me itch.

Honeyb
X

lizzie1

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »

Thanks to everyone who has responded and for the various solutions and ideas - at least I know it isn't just me!!  Lizzie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 01:19:57 PM »

I forgot that I use Savlon at night - lots of it then lay face down on the bed

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »

My Gynae prescribed Dakacort a mild cortisone ointment for that very purpose, I also found that bathing in a mild bicarb solution helped as did Tea tree oil, drives one nuts!