Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Back appointment at last  (Read 23808 times)

Rowan

Re: Back appointment at last
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 11:33:59 AM »

Results of my MRI yesterday boiled down to mild wear and tear and some intermittent Meralgia paresthetica on outer upper thigh, but no evidence of pinched nerves, otherwise healthy looking spine.

On the report

" Mild spondylitic changes but overall alignment otherwise normal. Minor 11 Modic changes at L3/4, L45 and L5/S1. Minor disc bulges present but  no significant disc herniation overall with preserved spinal canal and neural foramina"

I was told it was referred to as mechanical pain, nothing serious. No sign of arthritis.

The Doctor gave me the report to show Osteopath if I decide to go for further treatment., she asked me if I had tried Acupuncture.

Told that if pain and discomfort continued to go to GP and ask to be referred to Pain Clinic with a view to an injection, she did suggest amitriptyline but I declined.

It has put my mind at rest in one way but still looks as if I will have to continue with pain management and hope it all heals naturally. I don't like the idea of anti-inflammatories daily but hopefully they will aid healing.

Would be grateful if any ladies can intemperate the report in layman's terms.

My one concern is if mild bulging discs could lead to disc herniation's.

Have just ordered some Serrapeptase will monitor my progress

http://www.serrapeptase.info/Serrapeptase-Category/Serrapeptase-Testimonials/back-problems-lower-testimonials/

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:37:59 PM by silverlady »

Trey

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »

Most lower back pain is due to unrecognized Sacro iliac joint dysfunction.  It does not show up on MRI. The minor disc bulges are a relatively normal finding and nothing to think about.  Yours is a good report.  I would look up Richard Dontigney rounds for a full discussion of SIJ pain and exercises to cure and prevent.  Can be life changing.

Rowan

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 08:36:59 AM »

Trey, I did think that Sacro iliac joint dysfunction would not show up on MRI, and wondered if I should mention it to Dr who interoperated the results, but being the NHS thought better of it.

Chiro and Osteopaths are familiar with it I know and now I have the results I will go down that path.

I have the link you sent me and will look up Richard Dontigney.

Thank you Trey x

The Serrapeptase is a natural anti inflammatory.

Trey

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »

SIJ (Sacro iliac joint) dysfunction is so under diagnosed because does not show on X-ray or MRI because it is very slight movement of the bony sides of the triangle that is the joint.  The triangle fits between the pelvis and when it moves out of place it can be a tight pulling feeling to absolute agony.  I can shift mine back in place when I get the tight muscle spasm to relax.  I bend forward over a table and take my leg back, knee bent and lift one leg at a time behind me.  I call it my donkey kick.  I do it very gently after I've applied heat or ice.  I make a pop that is easily heard by others.  Then I wear a Sacro belt to hold pelvis in place.  The ligaments stretch and make it easier for joint to slip so I use belt, sometimes for weeks when I am active and sometimes at night.

My SIJ is out now and belt is on.  Seems to happen every four or five months when my neck is out.  Neck curve and lumbar curve work together and my neck is bad due to excessive  typing and reading of late.

Reading .don.tigney will help.  Google all the sites. So much good info.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:51:48 PM by Trey »

Rowan

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »

Have an appointment on Friday with my Dr to discuss referral for an injection, back not getting any better, also have found what looks like a good Osteopath and after Friday will ring up for an appointment.

Trey I did try your exercise and could not get my joint to pop back, perhaps I was not doing it properly.

I keep thinking that if I did not have this lower right back problem I would feel so well and healthy.

Rowan

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »

Went to Drs on Friday, she told me that she was surprised that the hospital had not continued with treatment for injection and she would investigate, in the meantime she has referred me to Pain Management which of cause has a waiting list.

Dr also OKed me seeing an Osteopath and said to take my history and test results with me for Osteopath to see, also suggested trying Acupuncture.

I have to continue with anti-inflammatories which is important, I hate taking them but when I leave off I certainly pay for it.

Thank you CLKD for your tip about ibuprofen being a muscle relaxant too, it has spurred me on to continue with them. I take time release from TESCO only 32p a pack! I take 400mgs every few days which is not a large amount and make sure I take with cold water and a sandwich.

Maybe I will beat this chronic discomfort after all.

Rowan

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »

Have bought a bottle of Honegar today from health shop to add to my Arsenal

http://thebeachhousekitchen.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/the-wonders-of-honeygar-and-the-alkaline-body/

Back a lot better today not sure why.

Rowan

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »

Went to Osteopath yesterday , she was very thorough and I took all my results from NHS with me.

She says I have a twisted pelvis, one leg slightly longer then the other, and as I know a very curved outwards lower back, I do look normal though ;D

There are a combination of things that have led up to the chronic lower back pain which she is hoping to correct, she has started with a correction to my pelvis.

This morning I woke with very little aching, but I did tale two ibuprofen yesterday, she did say that it is important to continue this for the inflammation more then the discomfort.

Also another thing which I have found out for myself is to Ice rather then use Rubs that heat up, because they increases inflammation, she recommended Bio Ice though I have found Mac's ICE Analgesic Gel really good.

Another appointment next week and I am feeling hopeful. 

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »

Glad the Osteopath is starting to help - do you get that on the NHS or are you having to pay for it privately?

Rowan

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2013, 04:02:24 PM »

Osteopath not on NHS, I don't think you can see one other then paying.

A bit disappointed  as once the two ibuprofen tablets I took before seeing Osteopath last Thursday wore off the aches and discomfort have come back, will be seeing her again on Friday, if I still don't get any results will reconsider whether to continue.

I have just ordered a new egg shell foam orthopaedic mattress the one I have now is years old and rather ropey so hoping that will be more comfortable.   

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »

Try and carry on if you can - I know when I started phsyio for my back it made the pain worse initially but it did help in the long run.

Rowan

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »

My egg box memory foam mattress topper arrived yesterday, I put it on the bed last night changed the sheets, used my new silk pillowcase, and slept like baby, I was so comfortable. 

Went to the osteopath yesterday afternoon and she said it would take time to correct my lower back as it had been like it for a long time, she really worked on it for nearly an hour and I could feel my back lengthening, she was working on the tailbone area.

I took some ibuprofen yesterday morning , not had any since last Friday. Today I feel as if my back is completely normal, but will wait to see how I feel when the time release ibuprofen wears off.

I just enjoyed the day today.

Rowan

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2013, 01:42:07 PM »

Saw Consultant today it was at a private hospital, very impressed with him.

I will be having a course of injections in January, it is a procedure as they use a Xray device to guide the injection, I also have an appointment at their Sports and Physiotherapy Clinic too in January.

The Consultant says I have Sacroiliitis, he was very thorough.

Feeling more hopeful.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »

Anything with 'itis' in the word means inflammation  ;) : appendicitis, tonsillitis, brochintis ...........

Will the injection be done under GA? or using purely X-ray control?

Rowan

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »

Injection to numb the area then Xray guided, can't say I am looking forward to it.

Consultant also said daily stretch exercises for life :o also suggested Pilates and aqua aerobics.

He confirmed that left leg is slightly shorted then right, though said that this is not unusual, that's why I they are making an appointment for the Sport and Physiotherapy Clinic. they will check gait, he seem impressed with my posture and mentioned it twice saying it was very good ( thank you mum for always saying " put your shoulders back and pick your feet up" ;D)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5