Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Back appointment at last  (Read 23809 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Back appointment at last
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 06:55:44 PM »

If it is an injection into the hip joint then it may be given under GA  ;)
Certainly worth discussing the ins and outs with your GP.  Get a time-line on how long to use the ice packs for and when an injection would be considered.

My sciatica causes burning down the thigh in the early hours, never in the day but when I have slept heavily.  Occasionally the small of my back aches as if from inside, sometimes I can't weed for very long even though I kneel down to work in our garden.  Botheration 
>:(  ............. even when I take Nurofen at night the burning sometimes wakes me, I am considering going to the GP to check it is sciatica ....... then I plan to exercise more once the intense heat goes away.

Rowan

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »

Exercise and walking makes things worse for me, that's what makes me so fed-up as I have always enjoyed walking to keep fit and to keep weight down.

kerrieann

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »

I can't walk at all even hobbling around in doors is so painful, which is why, when i checked out the website that i put in the earlier post, i feel sure that it is this bursitis, i cannot sleep on my side because of the pain, i will see what gp thinks tomorrow.  kerrie

Rowan

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »

Back from hospital and it was pretty straight forward, the consultant asked the relevant questions, did examination and performed the  tests, that I had already had.

He says wants he wants me to have an MRI scan to investigate sacroiliac joint and the possibility of nerve impingement with a view to an injection after seeing the results.

That was it, I was told it would be three to four weeks for the MRI appointment and I have an appointment on the ninth of September for the results.

No recommendation of what to do in the mean time so will carry on with Freeze Gel and ibuprofen.

I told him if the MRI was a tube I would only go in feet first and he made a note of it to pass on.

It  is progress I think.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »

That doesn't seem to long to wait.  Could you take a cancellation appt.?  If someone failed to show could you get there to take their space ...... worth ringing the Dept. to see?

Rowan

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 10:23:31 AM »

Found this that's being talked about on another forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7hs7Dvmzo

I think its got merit and I am going to have a go.

Rowan

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 01:42:36 PM »

Have an appointment next Wednesday for MRI (going in feet first :))

Had a copy of the letter Consultant sent to my GP, saying all his tests were normal, no trochanteric tenderness, but certainly tenderness over the left sacroiliac area, also possible L4 nerve root pain.

The MRI is to look for possible foraminal narrowing at L4/5 or L5/S1, if they are normal then the next course of action would be to consider sacroiliac joint injections.

So there it is still putting on ibuprofen gel, but today I am going to take some timed release ibuprofen as its playing up.

kerrieann

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 01:55:59 PM »

happy for you, at least you are on the way now to finding a reason for your pain  :)
I am off to see practice nurse at half 3 to get my blood pressure meds. changed just one more thing to tick off the list of what is causing my groin pain.
Hopefully we will both get somewhere soon.  kerrie

Rowan

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »

Good luck Kerrie for this afternoon.  :)

This was in my inbox this morning.

"Your choices for treatment of back pain are surgery, steroid injections, pain medications, exercise strengthening and stretching programs, and techniques that place external force on the back such as deep massage, manipulation and passive stretching. Because surgery has such a high failure rate, it is usually recommended only when there is danger of permanent injury such as loss of feeling, loss of muscle control or intractable pain. Steroid injections offer temporary relief, but almost never cure back problems.

When possible, first line treatment is a program of active exercise to strengthen and stretch belly, back and leg muscles along with manipulation and deep massage, which is far more effective than bed rest. Strength training requires supervised exercising against progressively greater resistance one to three times a week. Stretching includes daily stretching of the back and leg muscles. Deep massage can be so painful and so irritating to the skin that it often is done only once a week. Superficial light massage has not been shown to help cure back pain. Manipulation can relax muscles that have gone into spasm and help to relieve pain effectively.

Anyone with presistent low back pain should check with his or her doctor to rule out a serious cause"

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:46:43 PM by silverlady »

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »

Spinal/neck manipulation should only ever by done UNDER General Anaesthetic as any resistance by the patient can cause paralysis and occasional can be fatal.

It is a ruff treatment - seen it done  ::) .......... when the patient is completely relaxed there is less danger of the procedure going 'wrong'.  Traction used to be a treatment too, with the patient flat on their back with legs weighted ....... to stretch the discs. Don't know if this is a 'popular' method of relief these days.

Rowan

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 01:23:20 PM »

Due to go for MRI results of Friday.

Up until four days ago I was really down and back pain seemed to be getting worse and I was waking up tired and down, I decided to take one slow release ibuprofen on Saturday and a tiny sliver of zopiclne to relax muscles and make me sleep, and Sunday I woke up and hardly any discomfort, so have done that up until today, one ibuprofen and a tiny piece of zopiclone.

Each day I have felt better and today have done nearly 5.000 steps and no back ache, now I am wondering if this is a fluke or my regime has helped.

Thought I would have ibuprofen and sliver of zopiclone free day tomorrow and see how I am on Thursday.

Feeling some trepidation as to what MRI results show, I have had the pain constantly since before Christmas, must say today felt good with no discomfort, its a lovely feeling..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:52:06 PM by silverlady »

Trey

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »

Hope you get good results. Please google oh I'll just get link,and send to you.  Best care in world for SI. I'm down today with back.  Too much acrobatics of late.

http://thelowback.com/. Best explanation and self treatment there is for SI joint dysfunction.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:24:16 PM by Trey »

Rowan

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »

Thanks for link Trey, will read.

Hope you back gets better soon, don't think I could cope with acrobatics at the moment, but I was very good in the past ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »

Best wishes.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 01:43:56 PM »

Hope you get some good results on Friday.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5