Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Exam tomorrow!  (Read 7275 times)

dulciana

Exam tomorrow!
« on: July 23, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »

Right in the middle of this lovely menopause......I've also got part of an organ-playing exam tomorrow!  I absolutely adore playing the organ (which I converted to seriously from piano after I was forty - I'm now 54) but sitting exam in it when I'm menopausal??  I really must be mad!  I'm really hoping my concentration won't let me down, that I won't be hit by anxiety and/or apathy, and that I won't get my sleep wrecked tonight by the weather we're supposed to be getting after the heatwave.   I'm wondering how many other candidates for this are menopausal women - not many, I bet!  It's so important to me to get this qualification, having come to the organ late, as it would prove my professional competence.   I just hope against hope that I won't under-perform and look ridiculous just because of the meno!  My fingers are crossed (not when I'm playing, though!)

Katy

Re: Exam tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »

Hi dulcinia

:welcomemm:  and I wish you lots of luck for your exam tomorrow and really hope the menopause doesn't get in the way!

Katy x

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »

Thanks Katy - I'll really need it!   
Dulciana x

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »

Dulciana - Hope the exam goes well. 

Concentrate on enjoying the music, and NOT thinking I've got to play well.
You'll feel better when you actually start playing.
If you do get uptight tonight, just look at the music and get it really fixed in your mind.
If that doesn't work, try looking at all the scales. That'll get you to sleep.
Don't panic

BTW - Welcome to the Forum
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:48:23 PM by Limpy »

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:04:20 PM »

Yes, you're right, Limpy.  Not panicking is the hardest bit, as I've been doing that big time since this all started.  Mind over meno!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 08:12:05 PM »

Hey dulciana

Welcome to the forum from me too!
Wow, the organ!! How wonderful to be taking an exam - have you taken any at all recently?
Go for it - sounds brilliant and I hope you do really well.
If you have played in public before then I am sure you won't find it too bad - but if not - just imagine it is your teacher if you have one.
I did a piano exam in my 40's - but I was nowhere near menopausal so I admire you for doing this!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »

;)  ........ it's probably the only organ that many women get at this time of Life  :o  :-X  ....... I played the piano for years. 

Good Luck!  how long do you have to wait for the results .........

dulciana

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.  I've taken exams before and I play every week for services - and I really love performing - but an exam under these circumstances has to be on the list of what NOT to do during the meno!!!

CLKD - three agonising weeks!  Mind you, the menopause makes me so forgetful, maybe I'll forget to worry about it!   Do you still play the piano?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »

Nope.  It got carried to the neighbours' when their kids wanted to learn to play.  I gave the clarinet away too.  Sing - sometimes in the shower  8)

3 weeks to wait  :o - which Board did you sit under?

Evenstar

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »

All the best. I bet you'll do wonderfully. :)

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »

How did it go Dulciana?

charlie12

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »

Hi there

I so hope that your exam went well.

I had a surgical menopause following treatment for ovarian cancer. I am a trainer for a large organisation and am required to pass a knowledgeable assessment I.e. a written exam every year ....so far I have passed all of them...am now 51 , was 47 when diagnosed.

Studying at all ages is now far more common than it used to be .....but well done .

Charlie xxxx

dulciana

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »

Thanks for all this support - it's REALLY appreciated - I'm just back from holiday, so I've only just read your posts.
CLKD, it was part of one of the RCO (Royal College of Organists) exams. 
Limpy, I think/hope it went not too badly, so my fingers are crossed!  Very luckily, I didn't get any hot flushes, panicky feelings or whatever.  Here's hoping the menopause didn't matter!  Results not out yet, though.

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »

Well done you. Bet you were concentrating so hard, you never noticed the flushes or feelings of anxiety.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »

Holiday - where ?  we have a thread on that too  ::)
Pages: [1] 2