Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: First Breast Screen - Scared  (Read 15882 times)

Weejeannie

First Breast Screen - Scared
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »

Hi All

Just got my letter to attend for my very first breast screening appointment and I am very scared, not of the screen itself, but of the results.  I suffer greatly from health anxiety and I worry so much that they will find cancer, this is always a major concern of mine, can't help it, I just worry endlessly whenever something like this comes up.

I have had a feel around myself and can't find anything out of the ordinary, but I am rather large up top and am frightened that I have missed a lump due to my large boobs.

I know I am being irrational, everything in the news, the papers even in soaps is about someone famous dying from or having cancer, just seems to be everywhere.

Sorry for venting , I'm sure my partner and friends would think I was mad for worrying so much, just the way I am.

At least the sun is shining, I shall go into the garden and try to busy myself.

Thanks for reading

Joyce

Re: First Breast Screen - Scared
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:48:20 AM »

I was scared first time too. Now due to have another at the end of the month. They are slightly uncomfortable, but only takes about 20 minutes in total.  Most ladies are usually clear. Think positive.  :hug:

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »

They are a bit uncomfortable but they don't last long.
The chances are that you will be fine, most ladies are.
But, even in the very unlikely circumstance, of something beng  found, it would be better to find it early so it can be treated effectively.

The main thing is think positive, don't panic.    :hug:

grumpyandIknowit

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »

Know EXACTLY how you feel - I'm trying to see if I can have it done privately so I get the results quicker - but you are not alone....... :hug:
xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »

The results probably won't get to you any quicker privately  ::)

I had breast disease in 1995 - felt by lump, nothing shown on mammogram ......... still here <wave>

louisy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »

I am just the same - get v anxious with mammograms and smear tests etc.  - but then remind myself that (a) the majority are negative and (b) how lucky we are to have these tests available to us. Good luck -it will soon be over  :)

Weejeannie

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »

Thank you all for your replies, I know I should think rationally, and when I read your lovely replies, they go some way to help me think rationally, so I really thank you all so much for your kind words.

I feel a little bit better, did some gardening and this took my mind off it for a bit.

My appointment is on Tuesday afternoon, not sure when the results come out, wish it was straight away, however, I will just need to suck it up for now and try to remain calm.

bramble

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 04:15:30 PM »

Results take normally 2-3 weeks. Remember that 1 in 20 of all women get recalled for one thing or another so don't be too scared if you get a recall.
Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »

I was told that you are most likely to be recalled after your first one as they have nothing to compare it against to see if there are any changes.

I was not but was fully expecting a recall.

Try not to worry it really won't help. It a bit uncomfy but over with quickly.

Honeyb
X

Weejeannie

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »

Thanks Honeybun, I will try not to panic if I get recalled.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »

I am pretty sure it's actually one thing they tell you in the information leaflet.

The nurse that did mine told me as well. I went to one of the mobile units and they were so nice.

Let us know how it goes.

Honeyb
X

Weejeannie

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 07:21:08 AM »

I will do Honeybun, and thanks for the information, I probably did read that on the leaflet but not looked at it again since I received it.

I work at the hospital that the screening is done, next door in fact, maybe they will take pity on me as a member of staff lol

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »

Doubt it  ;)  ;D

Weejeannie

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »

Thanks CLKD  ;D

I'll be too scared to even open my mouth never mind ask them for any favours  ;D

Evenstar

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »

Had my first one this year. All was fine. Just try not to be embarressing and faint like I did ;D    Theres always one isn't there? !!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4