Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thinning Hair could it be HRT?  (Read 33876 times)

jasmine5

Thinning Hair could it be HRT?
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »

While I was on holiday in March I had sunburn to my scalp just where the parting was, I didn't think much of it at the time and vowed to always wear a hat in the future.  Unfotunately over the last few months I have noticed that the hair around my parting has now become noticably thinner and my scalp in now clearly visible and at the moment each time I venture out in the sun, even for a few minutes, my scalp starts to burn and turns red and sore. 

I'm feeling so upset about this as I've always had plenty of hair and I've been googling hair loss in women and have decided to see my GP for some blood tests as soon as possible.  I was wondering if it could be caused by the HRT which I've been on and off for about 3 years?  (I'm 55)  Also my mother had an overactive thyroid some years ago but my blood tests have always shown normal.  Please help I'm scared that I'm losing my hair!

English Rose

Re: Thinning Hair could it be HRT?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:28:04 PM »

Hi Jasmine
You don't say what type of HRT you take but I believe that the progesterone in some HRT preparations can cause hair thinning in some women.  There is one type of oral HRT - Femoston, which contains a newer type of progesterone - Dydrogesterone - which is hair friendly and does not cause thinning.
I'm on Femoston and get on very well with it (there are preparations for both peri and post menopause i.e. bleed or no bleed depending on what stage you are at). I have always had fine hair but I've had no problems with hair loss / shedding.  Perhaps speak to your GP about this if you are on a different HRT?
All the best, ER x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »

Hi jasmine

I agree with English Rose - it could be due to the progestogen you are taking/using. I understand that some of the testosterone derived progestogens in some HRT can acuse hair loss/thinning.

Here is the info on this site about the different types:

Progestogens which can be used cyclically are of 3 main types:

Testosterone derived - Norgestrel, Norethisterone acetate and Levonorgestrel.
    Less testosterone related - Medroxyprogesterone acetate(MPA).
    Least testosterone related - Dydrogesterone and Micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Hair loss can also be caused by an underactive thyroid - not overactive as in your mother's case, although I have read that an overactive thyorid can also affect the hair!

There are others on here who have/had problems with hair and different HRT and maybe able to give you their experiences.

Hurdity x

jasmine5

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »

Thank you both for your replies.

I'm on Estradot 50 and Utrogestan 100 and have been tolerating this combination very well - or so I thought!  According to the links the Utrogestan is the one with the least testosterone so perhaps its not hormone related at all and I have been taking this one for about a year with no problems up until now. 

The thinning part is just on the right hand side where I have a parting, if I part it on the other side (which looks strange as I have a cows lick!) then the hair looks quite normal.   I can remember shedding lots of hair when I had babies and after operations but I can't think of anything that could have triggered the current problem.

Jasmine x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 09:58:48 PM »

Another Utrogestan user! There are lots of us now!

Also decreased oestrogen can cause hair loss - my hair, although fairly thick, is nowhere near how it was when I was fertile, even though I am on HRT ( as you - Estradot 50). Maybe you are noticing it more now because you are post-meno perhaps by 2-3 years? You oestrogen levels will have dropped to their lowest level so this could be what you are noticing.

Hurdity x

Morwenna

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »

Jasmine my hair is also thinning around the parting, but has been doing for around ten years - I've only been on HRT for just over two years, although it is the type with Norgestrel progesterone. I think sadly for some of us hair loss is just a feature of growing older - so much of my hair comes away when I wash it I'm surprised to not be totally bald  :-\

Night_Owl

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »

Hi Jasmine - my hair has also thinned dramatically since my periods stopped 6 years ago and I now have roughly half the amount.   In that time I've been off and on HRT and I wouldn't say there is any difference in the shedding whether I take HRT or not.

Utrogestan although bioidentical is supposed to be the least androgenic but when I asked the meno clinic about this, they said that for some there still could be an androgenic effect.

Continually declining estrogen levels as we get further into meno can create the loss, however adding HRT can't always fix it.  I've seen two (very expensive) trichologists who told me the same. 

Telogen Effluvium (hair thinning) is common amongst some meno women and Androgenic Alopecia (female pattern hair loss, often hereditary, only affects top of scalp/temples) - both of which are triggered by hormonal disruption.  I have been diagnosed with both of these conditions - lucky me, eh! 

Telogen Effluvium can often affect just one side of the head hair.  If you google TE and "images", there is a lot of information, not great reading though, but hey ho, better to be informed.

Something that may help:  It is worth getting a blood test to check your ferritin levels - it measures the amount of iron stored in the body.   Low ferritin can create hair loss too and iron supplements may be needed.  It could be that your natural estrogen level has just declined that bit further, triggering more of an obvious shedding.

We're all different and this may not be the case with you, just thought I'd relay the info I gathered from the trichologists.

Hope you find a way forward with it, hair shedding is a nightmare.

Night_Owl
x

ellie

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »

Jasmine5 I too have thinning hair....My hair was ok when I was taking hrt , but now I have stopped taking it, my already fine hair has become much thinner....
    I have found a really good shampoo that does work and makes my hair look thicker, also a thickening serum that I use before blow drying....
Don't think I would be allowed to mention name brands, so if you PM me , I will try to help. :)

jasmine5

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »

Went to the GP yesterday and had some blood tests including iron and thyroid.  Will ring for results on Tuesday but GP said the hair loss could be a natural part of the aging process or hereditary.

If it was caused by oestrogen levels then they wouldn't change my hrt as 'they don't do that sort of thing'!  Got the impression that she didn't approve of women taking hrt and we should just grow old gracefully!!

Jasmine5

elizabeth64

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 11:30:26 AM »

Hi
I would like to understand why one of the side effects listed, and reported for Vagifem ( made from Estradiol ) is hair loss.

I dont understand how taking more oestrogen can be the cause of hair loss when hair loss is caused by low oestrogen.

Do you think using even a bioidentical oestrogen like Estradiol can stop your body from making its own oestrogen ?? The side effects for vagifem on askapatient.com all sound like high androgen issues….

Jennie

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 06:29:51 PM »

Hi Elizabeth ...I'm also interested to know the answer to this.Im using Vagifem plus my hair is thinning and fine ....very upsetting for me ...

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 09:25:11 PM »

I would say that it is because the vagifem patient information leaflets contain the same information as hrt tablets etc

Sammiejane

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 04:53:59 PM »

Jasmine 5 - for any of you that this may help

i dont think hairloss is related to all progesterones i do believe estradiol has an impact too, as i have had an hysterectomy so only take HRT estrogel 2 pumps only every day i am 5 years on sincce hysterectomy and have only been on HRT for 6 months but i never had hair loss prior to starting HRT infact my hair grew mega thick and long really quick.

I started on lot of HRT ELLESTE SOLO 40MX transdermal patch - synthetic it didnt suit so stopped after 7 weeks. a week later started Vagifem as my only symtom at this time was vaginal dampness - 6 weeks into taking the Vagifem i lost half my hair volume receded behind the ears and nape of neck and went curly frizy so assumed was vagifem so stopped as side effect is hairloss i swapped to ovestin. im not sure if it was the vagifem as my hair is still thinning even more now, so i thought maybe it was having an increase in estrogen then stopping caused it but then i never suffered whilst on the combined pill maybe im missing the progesterone that my problem ? but as my hair is getting thinner i do believe estradiol causes hair loss the only benefit of the estrogen is the texture of hair has improved however that may be my hair vitamins. all i know is i had no hairloss and then started bio-identical estrogen estrogel 2 pumps and am loosing hair still wider part and dermo think telegen effluivum each hair strand that comes out has a white tip which i believe is the bulb or the root and my hair strands are alot thinner since being on estrogen. i had my ovaries removed so i think i missed the flutuation in hormone levels and mine were all kind of low and now my estrogen has gone higher but progesterone and testosterone is low that maybe explain my sudden hairloss.

Weight gain is also HRT side effect as i lost weight over the last 4 years by 1 stone and half since taking HRT have gaines 10lb and diet not changed.

i am monitoring my hairloss but if continues i am stopping HRT and will use supplements to protect bones as thats all menopause are bothered about.

I am more tired on HRT and my depression is worse and i have developed anixety which i know are meno symtoms but i never suffered before starting HRT.#

Any advice very welcome.

jaycee

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 03:53:14 PM »

I am very interested in this about hair loss, as mine has thinned so much that i have almost bald patches and my scalp can be seen ,
I am surprised about the vagifem possibly being connected to hair loss, but at the same time,this HAS got worse since being on it,  i will re-read the leaflet
Also put on Livial [Tibolone] at the same time, which has androgenic properties,so could be either, [or none] but a coincidence if not
My Dr has now given me Evoral Conti which starts after i finish this pack of livial, but again one of the components in EC is Norethisiterone which can cause hair loss, so in a dilemma now, and a bit scared to change
Anyone here on livial who has experienced hair loss,or on Evoral Conti?
Edited, to say just read the leaflet for vagifem and cant see anything about hair loss
Wondering how Jasmine got on with blood tests,re iron?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:31:14 PM by jaycee »