Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sharing good news  (Read 11847 times)

Suzi Q

Re: Sharing good news
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 03:29:17 AM »

we got married on 50.00 pounds
I got my trouser suit from Grattons and shoes 1.00 week for 20 weeks
Bobbles wore a NEW suite hed bought 12months before got a new white Shirt from Grattons
Now this was the 70s OK so trouser dsuites and men with LONG hair is suits were derigour
Pictures taken by Dad POlaroid b/white 10 and a few piccies normal camera no Photogapher
Went for a drink forst then on to Berni Inns do any of you remember BERNIES
Our was on New Brighton Promonade on the Wirral 3/95 a head 12 of us Dad paid
Flowers no buckets for me I had sparsy MUM NANA MY BMAID men had White carnations and that was it
After the 12.30/2.30 Lunch we young ones went to our Local Pub till 3.30pm on a Friday we married
That night me and Bobbles went out for a meal end of story
We used all our money bought a 3 bed Victorian Terrace cash out right 2,300 pounds
We  furnished it and bought a car on HP Do I regret it nope
That Saturday night we had a party everyone brought a BOTTLE OR those big Cans of beer boguht few snaps FAB
I would have liked looking back was proper photos other than that 75.00 all up and that included Dads meal rshare 35.00 for registar everyting clothes on cat so no money upfront and I loved my wedding

SO COPNGRATULATIONS it can be done nicely with little money ever thought of BL evening hire and a disco as a party?

fiorinda

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »

I've been planning away, but still can't do much concrete yet as we're still unable to set a date.

I have, however, ORDERED MY DRESS!!!

Well, I've ordered a dress, which I'm hoping will be my wedding dress. It comes in standard sizes, and who's a standard size? But the company I've ordered it from have said that I can:

a) return it unworn within 3 days for a full refund if it doesn't fit or I'm not happy with it

b) hang on to it (I'm dieting, not for the wedding, just bcause I want to lose some weight generally) to see if it fits later

c) return it to swap it for a smaller size if I lose more weight than I have anticipated (they don't have it in a bigger size)

or
d) return it later and have the cost of it as either a credit note or knocked off the price of the same dress custom made!

I can hardly wait to see it!! It should be with me by the end of next week!

http://www.thedarkangel.com/en/product/284-vienna-dress

Joyce

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »

If it turns out to be The Dress, why not get it altered to fit your new shape.

All this talk of how much weddings cost years ago got me thinking.

My dress £12 - made by mum
Shoes £5
Wedding cars £5 & that was for 2 black Austin Princesses, though think we got a deal as SIL's friend owned the car hire company.
Flowers were about £8
Hubby's suit £30
Shoes - platforms - Paid for off his mum's coop stamps
Meal for 10 of us including wine £65

Keep telling ours that weddings don't have to cost a fortune. Yet neither in a hurry to wed. Son won't propose to GF until his big sis is married. She says he'll have a long wait. I can see me rolling up with my zimmer frame at this rate!  ;D

fiorinda

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »

I do remember Bernie Inns, SuzyQ, when I was a kid it was just about the only place ordinary people like my family went out for a meal - and then only on very special occasions. You'd have prawn cocktail and a steak or plaice and black forest gateau!! And a Babycham probably!

We've said we will try not to spend much more than £1000. But it won't be easy. We won't be using my Mum's garden this time round for a start. So far our plans look like this:

Register office some time on a Saturday morning, up to 45 people, then take family and a few close friends (probably 15-20 people altogether) for lunch somewhere nice, and then a bring and share party in a church hall in the evening. I belly dance, and we use a couple of halls for our 'haflas' (parties) which would be ideal. My belly dance friends are keen to help out with dressing the room up, and bringing dishes to share. And we will no doubt perform a few dances during the evening.

Cubagirl, the company that sells the dress have said that alterations would be complicated and costly, as the bodice has bones sewn into it, and that it would probably be cheaper, and better, to have one custom made, they would charge £95 for that (but of course I'd get the £60 off that I've already paid for the standard size one). I'm willing to pay that much I think, if necessary. I've paid as much for an off the peg dress for friends' weddings, so why not a custom made one for my own!? Guess the problem is I'm bigger round the middle now, if it were to fit me there it would be too big on the bust. We shall see how it fits when it comes anyway - I'm really excited!!

I also found the perfect top hat yesterday, and I'm going back to try sizes in the week when I don't have my hair up. I'm going to decorate it myself with flowers and feathers etc.

Joyce

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »

Sounds like you've got it sorted. Just a date to pick.

My niece did a lot of room decorating for her reception. It was in a hotel, but they were more than happy to let them set it up. So morning of her big day, they were still adding finishing touches. Kept it simple. Only about 30/40 for meal then about another 30/40 came to party at night.

It will be a special day, because it's how you want it!

Lizzy

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »

Oh Florida how exciting, love the dress, it will be so fab with a top hat, great look. Will you were it long like in the pic? What shoes will you were?  Have you always been different, with your style ? Or have you got wilder with your new partner ! It's great you sound fun. Enjoy your wedding plans.
Congratulations
Lizzy x

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »

My nephew got married at Gretna Green over the anvil. There was only 15 of us there and then we went across the road to a hotel for a meal.
It was a lovely wedding except the registrar called my nephews wife by the wrong name the whole way through. She is Russian so who knows. I wonder if it was even legal.   ;D

It was very romantic if a tad cold as it was in December.

Honeyb
X

fiorinda

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »

Thanks Lizzy! I'm going to 'catch' the skirt up at the front, to make it mid-calf, and add ribbons and flowers, hopefully creating a bustle effect at the back, and wear it with boots - I have a fabulous pair of boots with chunky metal heels and a bit of a wedge at the front that I don't wear enough (they're very Metal!!) so probably those. I also want a bolero of some kind to go with it, and some little lace gloves.

I always USED to be different with my clothes and style, but got lazy and 'mumsy' when my kids were younger. I started to wear the kind of clothes I love again around 8 years or so ago. So no, I've not got wilder since meeting Lee, but we have the same kind of style and like the same kind of music, books etc.

The top hat really is lovely, black pure wool with a purple silk lining, I am so inlove with it, but had my hair up in a bun so couldn't be sure of the correct size!!

I did look at Gretna, Honeybun, but it's as expensive as getting married in a fancy hotel!! x

Lizzy

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »

It will be amazing, you sound very creative Florida, are you arty? The top hat sounds fab, and the shoes. It's great you have your own style. it just goes to show we don't have to become invisible! I must so something about my own image, I've not got out of scruffy joggers again while doing the housework today!
Lizzy  x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »

FAB U LUS!

Pages: 1 [2]