Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mindfulness  (Read 3650 times)

Shula

Mindfulness
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:31:52 AM »

I've had a stressful few weeks, and my anxiety levels have been increasing. I've tried some Mindfulness meditations, just to try to clear my head a bit, and they do seem to help relax me. Has anyone else tried Mindfulness? Are there any books or other resources you could recommend?

honeybun

Re: Mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »

I did read an article by Oprah about her journey learning mindfulness. It was very interesting but I think it's very difficult to learn to do properly.

It's something that interests me but really not sure where to start.

Honeyb
X

Shula

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »

Thanks for posting, honeybun.

Taking HRT had really helped reduce my anxiety symptoms, but I've got a lot going on, and a lot of changes to deal with, which always gets me on edge.

I've touched on Mindfulness during yoga, and the meditations and breathing techniques I've tried do make me feel better, but only while I'm doing them. It's very hard to maintain a quiet mind!

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »

That's my problem. I just can't get my mind to stop whirring. I start off ok but then I drift and end up going over all my problems.

I find meditation difficult. I have looked to see if anyone does lessons in my area but no luck. Yoga yes....but this is different.
I have read a few books though.
I think I need to win the lottery and then take myself off to a retreat to learn how.

Some chance.... ::)

Honeyb
X

Lucky Stone

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:12:46 AM »

I agree honeybun - I have tried Mindfulness but it's hard to think of nothing and when I was having the hypnotherapy sessions, the lady said that this is not unusual - easier to think of nothing if you are a buddhist monk but harder in our modern environment. My mind has been calmer since being on the sertraline, although the anxiety comes and goes depending on what I am doing. Work seems particularly stressful at the moment. I am waiting for an appointment with the NHS psychologist - at the recommendation of my GP - so it will be interesting to see where that takes me.

charlie12

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »

Hi there

I have tried mindfulness and find it wonderful. I had downloaded the practices onto my phone and when going through an especially rough time at work , I aim to do one every day. I have also tried to remember to do one every day on holidays ....it has really helped me alot.

Charlie xxx

Shula

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:39:47 PM »

I've also downloaded quite a few meditations, but have neglected it recently, so I'm going to try to practice daily for a couple of weeks.

Trey

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:17:58 AM »

I recommend Pema Chodren CDs for listening at night.  A great one is Don't Bite the Hook on minimizing anger and staying in the now. A Buddhist nun with a wicked sense of humor.  She has lots of CDs.  Really help me a lot.