Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Antihistamines......for anxiety.  (Read 52385 times)

Clovie

Re: Antihistamines......for anxiety.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »

Hmmm, interesting.
I take the antihistamine diphenhydramine, (active ingredient in One-a-night Nytol) to help me sleep.
If I use it more than 2 nights in a row it doesn't work though! So I use it now and then.
I take it to help me sleep but now you mention it, it really really does make me chill out, so can see how it would be very useful for anxiety.
I tend to buy my diphenhydramine in America though as its loads cheaper ;) plus the ones I get in America come in half doses (suppose you could break a Nytol tablet in half?)  - a half dose during the day would obviously be better for anxiety and wouldn't put you to sleep.

My point was, before I distracted myself , you can buy one-a-night Nytol over the counter which would avoid a trip to the doctor if you just wanted to try it?

leony

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »

I developed excema (sp) so GP gave me cetrizine for through the day and phenegran at night it was all anxiety stress related developed GAD so phychiartist gave it me at night to help me sleep works really well, only take 1 at night but sleep right the way through and don't itch. Sorry about the awful spelling.

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »

I used to use phenergan for travel sickness in my kids. I remember being quite shocked when my GP told me that he and his wife used to use it on their kids just to get them to sleep on occasions. I never did but oh heck was it tempting.    ;D

Honeyb
X

Elena

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 11:15:14 PM »

I'd be surprised if it WAS benadryl as they are not one of the anti histamines that cause drowsiness.  They are quite a new drug and there is no generic version so they are expensive.  All the other anti histamines have cheap generic versions. 

My GP, sadly retired, told me that when she needed a good night's sleep she took Piriton.  That is basically what is in Nytol and all the supermarket own versions of Nytol.

Elena

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »

Nytol, Sleep Aid etc ARE antihistamines.  Or did you mean something like Temazepam, Zopiclone etc?

kes

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 02:32:57 PM »

The active ingredient in Piriton - chlorphenamine maleate - has serotonergic effects ie effects similar to the SNRI class of anti-depressants: serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorphenamine#Serotonergic_and_norepinephrinergic_effects

However, extensive clinical trials of its efficacy as an SNRI anti depressant on humans have not yet been conducted. 
Just thought this might be pertinent to this thread.

Limpy

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »

Kes - Sounds quite pertinent to me

If it helps you sleep, do you feel better in yourself for having had a good nights sleep?

kes

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »

Oh - forgot to say - I am conducting my own informal, one person trial - so far so good. I feel less depressed.  I came across these anti histamines because my husband has dire hay fever and needs to keep swapping tablets every year as  they become less effective.

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »

Do they have a generic/brand name Kes?

Honeyb
X

kes

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »

The generic name is just chlorphenamine - but the brand name they are usually sold under is Piriton.  I gather you can buy them generically at some chemists.

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »

Are you using them for anxiety or depression Kes.

Anxiety is my major problem and i can't tolerate anti depressants. I was very sick with the one I took and just don't want to attempt that again.

Your feedback would be great.

Honeyb
X

kes

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »

Anxiety mainly.  When I had major depression, the worst symptom was the anxiety rather than the depression. 
BTW, I had the same problem as you, most SSRIs made me throw up.  However, then I found one that didn't - Seroxat - paroxetine.  For many people, it is better tolerated than some of the others - not all, however.  I know at least one person on here who found it awful, but it worked for me, (it took exactly 6 weeks and I woke up one morning feeling on top of the world) and got rid of the anxiety as well.  I didn't stay on it because of other side effects, namely rendering one sexually inert, and when I tried going back on it a couple of years later, it didn't have the same magical effect.  Apparently this is another common experience. 
Pages: 1 [2]