Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Furniture question  (Read 10840 times)

Joyce

Furniture question
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »

We will soon be taking delivery of 2 chocolate brown leather sofas. Hubby thinks we should buy throws to protect them. I just about hit the roof. Why buy lovely good quality furniture just to cover them up? I could understand if the were old and past their best, or even when grandchildren visit, but nice new sofas. Maybe he's right. He's worried they will mark. I don't know. Maybe I'm not seeing this clearly.
What do you think? I keep thinking of his folks with their furniture which had head covers, arm rest covers and cushion covers. Do folk cover their furniture? I don't know anyone who does this with nice furniture. DD does, but their stuff is past it's best.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Furniture question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:19:12 PM »

I wouldn't buy leather.  Surely you asked about marking before you paid out?  They will scratch, next door's kitten has ruined their settees ......... climbing, scratching, running all over. As far as I am aware they do wipe if the kids spill anything.

We have material which now needs covering with throws as we've had the settee for 5 years.  DH is able to wash it every 6 months which brings it up like new.  They are recliners. 

Contrasting throws can be nice - especially in the colder months.

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »

I can see his point
If they get marked it's not always easy or possible to remove the mark.

Another thing, though this is a quirk of my OH.
Leather doesn't feel good on bare flesh - think shorts in summer.........

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:30:40 PM »

Can stick to the thighs apparently  ;)

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »

my opinion only but why have nice new furniture and cover it ? we have a leather 3 piece and the grand children eat and drink on it and for the past 3 months our new pup clambers all over it but i wipe it over with baby wipes each day and it comes back a treat  :)  is it a bit like another thread that was on here regarding buying new clothes etc and putting them away for best ?

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:42:16 PM »

Can stick to the thighs apparently  ;)

It does It does!          ;D

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »

I have had my leather suite for years. It really depends what kind of leather it is. This is the second leather suite I have had and both cost a small arm and a leg but boy has it been worth it. They survived children and dogs. They have had juice, kids being sick on them and came up smiling. The one I have now is a soft leather....does not stick to anything. I have one throw on a chair just because I like it and not to protect it.

I clean mine with a damp cloth regularly and treat it with a leather cleaner twice a year.
Cover it for style and not to protect.....you really don't have too and once hubby has wiped up beer or coffee that he has dripped he will see how tough they are.

Honeyb
X

bramble

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:55:13 PM »

I have had a leather settee for nigh on 23 years. It has had an army of cats and kittens clambering over it, or sick on it etc etc. over the years. Yes, it has the odd scratch on it but you wouldn't see them unless you looked for them. Never cleaned it ever (well attempted to do it once but too much like hard work!). A damp cloth to take anything spilled on it, even a spot of Jif on a stubborn mark! Never had covers on it. It has been so hard wearing. I am thinking of another one now but only because I am fed up looking at it. Enjoy it Cubagirl!

Bramble

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:11:55 PM »

It's costing us an arm & a leg too. It's a soft, good quality leather. We've even taken out insurance in case of tears, cuts etc. Not sure why hubby is worrying in case of course it's because of how much it's costing us. We even got a box of stuff to help clean it, if necessary. It's our first venture into leather as we wanted something which would last a long time.

Rosebush

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:04 PM »

Cuba could i ask were you purchased your sofa's, if you don't mind...we have decided after 40yrs of material to go for leather...but want nice soft one's..x

littleminnie

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:50:38 PM »

I wouldn't cover them. Not much point having nice new sofas if you can't see them.
X

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »

I wouldn't cover them either. I am reminded of a friend who has a wonderful table. It is really beautiful wood. For the past thirty years it has been covered so that it isn't spoilt. Underneath it is just as the day he bought it but nobody ever sees it. I am the opposite in that when we had a new table when the children were small it was uncovered and then, eventually, when it was getting a bit tatty we covered it. We had around ten years of it looking lovely before it had to be hidden. My friend has never had any time when his beautiful table has been used unclothed! Daft if you ask me. I guess we fall into two different types of people.

As for leather - we have soft leather sofas and I hate them. They do look lovely but are cold in winter and stick to your legs in summer. Leather is hard wearing though.

Taz x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »

We have 2 x chocolate brown leather sofas - a 3 seater and a 2 seater with 4 seats that recline.  It must be 10 years old now and still in great shape.  We don't put throws on  but I do have some nice cushions to break up the expanse of brown.

Prior to this we had soft green leather sofas but hubby fell asleep with a glass of beer in his hand  ::) and it tipped over it and when he tried to rub it off he took the top layer of leather off a large area.  I sold the 2 everso cheap and the buyers said they were going to put throws on them anyway so they got a bargain! ;D ;D

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 07:25:47 AM »

Rosebush they were bought in a local shop, not one of the big furniture retailers. Apart from one set of sofas, we have bought all our sofas from them. We wait for their sales though.

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »

Mine are blue, not quite navy but nearly.

I do have lots of cushions to break it up but the one throw is just over the back of one of the chairs.

I love them they are so big and comfy and many a person has slept on the sofa.

I do remember they looked a lot smaller in the shop and when they were delivered I am sure they had grown.  ;D
I have a bigger living room now and they don't look so big.

They will probably outlast me.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2