Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Museums to close  (Read 10622 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Museums to close
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »

Apparently in Manchester a Museum is about to close unless a petition is signed, as is the Railway Museum in York.  :-\  For those of you who love a day out, if interested and when I get full details, you might like to join the petition or write your own letters.  I would be sad to see the Railway Museum shut because that's a link I have with my late Dad ........ who dragged us there many times  ::)

Limpy

Re: Museums to close
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »

It's just sad when things like this are under threat.
They are the only outings my OH will tolerate. He was/is a research physicist,
doesn't do the arts.

Post the details CLKD

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »

It's never good when these places are forced to close. Our one is still on the go, in fact they were talking of expanding it. Though not sure how, unless they build up the way. I really should pay more attention to these things.  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »

Once I get permission to 'quote' I will let  you know!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »

I can't find anything online about the National Railway Museum in York closing CLKD. They still seem to be taking group bookings etc. for school trips. Is this definite  :-\

Which Manchester museum is it?

Taz x  :(

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:30:28 PM »

I can't find anything online about the National Railway Museum in York closing CLKD. They still seem to be taking group bookings etc. for school trips. Is this definite  :-\

Which Manchester museum is it?

Taz x  :(

Definite enough for this to appear

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10460385.National_Railway_Museum_under_threat_from_funding_cuts/

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »

Thanks Limpy. Just a "might" then which isn't quite so bad. I don't see why they shouldn't charge an entry fee to be honest - most people would be happy to pay a token amount as long as they had concessions.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »

It's always a surprise when these places don't charge for entry, given the amount of effort and resources that go into their upkeep

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »

However: much of the items are donated.  So a voluntary fee might be acceptable but when Museums did charge entry, they found they were still having difficulties.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 07:30:13 PM »

Permission to post from Rob of the Small Camper Van forum:

"Morning all, I wonder if I could beg a favour of you? The Manchester Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) is under threat of closure as it's London based owners - The Science Museum Group - are facing a cut in funding and rather than make any savings in the London Museums are instead looking to close MOSI down along with the National Media Museum in Bradford and the National Rail Museum in York.

"The Museum of Science and Industry is one of the most important educational facilities in the country, educating young and old on the industrial and scientific changes to the world. Manchester is a city at the heart of the Industrial Revolution and to close down a museum about the changes brought about in this great city would be a travesty. It would also be depriving future generations of an engaging place to learn about the role of the North in the Industrial and Scientific changes to the world.

"Apart from anything else it's just a really good day out!

"Manchester Council have already ruled out taking on the Museum so it looks like closure or sale to a private entity are its only options. Private hands may not be such a bad thing but does have to be considered very carefully.

"There are currently two petitions running to save the museum and if you could see your way to signing one or both of them then I would be most grateful. If you get the opportunity to visit MOSI this summer then I would urge you to do so, it really does have something for everyone.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...-industry-mosi

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....dustry-4050167  ... "

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 07:39:27 PM »

The potential closure of MOSI is worrying, apparently it's a really good day out
Thanks for posting the links

I was thinking more of the day to day costs.
Wages, Power, Water, Rates, Rent, Paper, Computers.....................
Things like that

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »

I love the fact there is a small camper van forum.  ;D

I guess although very sad it's just another sign of the times. I think they should all charge entry especially government funded one's.

The money really is needed for essential services.

I am sure the good people of Manchester will get behind the campaign and fund raise to help.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »

If they get the option!

Yep - small camper home forum because we are in the process of ......  :bounce:

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »

Have you finally decided to buy one CLKD.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »

Yep  ;) ....... waiting for the monies to be released: then  ::)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:42:07 PM by CLKD »
Pages: [1] 2