Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Has Anyone Tried Macafem As An Alternative To HRT ?  (Read 10588 times)

Meggie

Has Anyone Tried Macafem As An Alternative To HRT ?
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »

Looking at alternatives to HRT and saw an article about Macafem - has anyone on here tried it and if so, could you give me your opinion.

Meggie

Taz2

Re: Has Anyone Tried Macafem As An Alternative To HRT ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »

Hi Meggie - others have tried it but I don't think anyone had much success. I found this by carrying out a search http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14193.msg244153.html#msg244153

Taz x  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »

Hi Meggie

I haven't tried it but here is a summary of a review of the scientific literature about its effectiveness:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21840656

Maca (Lepidium meyenii) for treatment of menopausal symptoms: A systematic review.
Abstract
Maca (Lepidium meyenii), an Andean plant of the brassica (mustard) family has been used for centuries in the Andes as an adaptogenic plant to manage anemia, infertility and female hormone balance. The aim of this review was to assess the evidence for and against the effectiveness of the maca plant as a treatment for menopausal symptoms. We searched 17 databases from their inception up to June 2011 and included all randomized clinical trials (RCTs) that compared any type of maca-based intervention to a placebo for the treatment of menopausal symptoms. All studies were assessed for methodological quality using the Cochrane 'risk of bias' assessment tool. Four RCTs met all inclusion criteria. These RCTs tested the effects of maca on menopausal symptoms in healthy perimenopausal, early postmenopausal, and late postmenopausal women. Using the Kupperman Menopausal Index and the Greene Climacteric Score, all RCTs demonstrated favorable effects of maca. There have been very few rigorous trials of maca for menopausal symptoms. The results of our systematic review provide limited evidence for the effectiveness of maca as a treatment for menopausal symptoms. However, the total number of trials, the total sample size, and the average methodological quality of the primary studies, were too limited to draw firm conclusions. Furthermore, the safety has not been proved yet. Therefore, the efficacy and safety should be tested in larger studies.

I think that speaks for itself and I hope is helpful.

Personal experience is interesting but would be difficult to work out whether due to the placebo effect or not - even if so - it may be worth trying for a limited period. However several of us who have tried alternative remedies for a limited time and who have thought they have worked, have found that in fact they haven't in the longer term, and the apparent effect was either due to the placebo effect (very powerful all the same), or because our own hormones had increased during the time the supplement was taken.

Many of us have found that only HRT actually works - becuase it is replacing oestrogen, lack of which is causing the menopausal symptoms.

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:07:06 PM »

Unfortunately, as I would have loved alternatives to work.

I think the only ones that benefit from this kind of treatment are the manufacturers.

Of course everyone is different but I spent a fortune trying all sorts only to end up on HRT.

If you decide to try let us know how it goes as its good to hear of others experiences.

Honeyb
X

Marie Banks

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »

Yes I've been on Macafem for a almost three months. My preference over HRT for sure. I'm hot flash free nowadays and started power-walking to reach my weight loss goal. :)