Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Broken Foot  (Read 5537 times)

Rosebush

Broken Foot
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

Ladies have you ever broken bones in your foot, if so can you remember how long the healing process took, i had a fall 11days ago, i have broken 2nd 3rd & 4th metatarsal bones, sprained ankle, and torn lots of ligaments... have base cast on now, but due for full cast tomorrow, my foot is so painful and swollen, cannot load bear at all, have crutches & wheelchair... also do you know of a good painkiller, i have tried Cuprofen-Naproxen, now on Co-Codamol, but not really helping with pain.. >:(  xx

pj44

Re: Broken Foot
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »

just wanted to give you a hug. sorry not happened to me but a friend broke her foot last year and I know it took along time to heal.  Think she was on the co-codamol tablets.

ellie

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:54:08 PM »

:foryou: hope you feel better soon.....ouch

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »

So sorry Rosebush, there is Tramadol but its a prescription drug, I did a search but did not come up with a lot, some doctors seem not to like giving anti-inflammatories because they say it impairs healing.

I can understand how painful it must be paracetamol can be cooling , it all needs to calm down but at a loss to suggest what to do. xxx

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »

Oh so sorry to hear this.

I think you will be in a cast for at least six weeks.
How did you fall. It sounds so painful.

You should feel better when the full cast goes on. More support and less movement will help. You will be able to get about on crutches then.

Honeyb
X

ladybug50

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »

Hi RB, So sorry to hear of your injury.
Dear Friend of mine did similar injury last year, took her at least 6 weeks to heal and recover. Then she had supports and physio.
She learned to adjust and NOT to push it.
She used co-codamol too.
Patience is needed, just now.
 :bighug:

Rosebush

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »

Thanks Ladies, the Consultant did say 6wks, but not sure if he meant 6wks for full cast OR 6 wks in total, he said i will be told when to load bear, so will see how things go tomorrow, although i am dreading a full cast going on, as my foot is still so swollen ???  he also mentioned 2wks of physio..so patience is what i need, hubby had to put up single bed in my dining room today as i cannot haul myself upstairs anymore, have o/a and weak wrists so i am just giving myself more pain..at least i will only need the wheel chair for 5-6wks some are not so lucky..

The hospital gave me naproxen, but my GP said for the pain he wanted me to take Co-codamol..so trying them only had 2 today, i can take up to 4 per 24hrs for 1 wk, he will then see me again to see if i can cope with 3 per day..think they are a bit dubious now about dishing out pain killers..trust the weather to be nice & sunny now i 'cannot' go for a walk >:(

babypink2807

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »

Ouch do feel for you, really do

Can you not try paracetamol you can take six in one day,many it helped me.  They did provide me with Tramadol which was great although coming off them wasn't very nice.

If I remember didn't David Beckham have the same break and it took 8 to 12 weeks to repair?

Get well soon

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 07:00:31 PM »

Oh ouch!   :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »

6 weeks in the cast, you will probably be called back after 4 for an x-ray through the plaster, if not the plaster will be removed and an x-ray taken after 6 weeks.  Then you may require physio..  Were you told to keep the leg elevated in order to avoid swelling of the toes?

:tulips:

Rosebush

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 08:56:26 PM »

Had xrays again today, ankle is black and side of foot, something said about no change in tendons, but breaks still in line  :) did get new cast fitted could not do full cast as foot still very swollen, have to return in 2wks, cast off and more xrays, then i may get full cast for 2wks, so 6wks in all..then i will be allowed to load bear and have 2wks physio :) told to stay on co-codamol, but no more than 4 per day..so will have to slow down now and realise i am not 21 anymore  :(

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »

Sounds OK to me if painful.  You are probably in a 'back slab'?  Elevation required?

:tulips:

Rosebush

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »

CLKD you are correct it is more elevation i need, i had been doing bits in the kitchen using a comp chair on wheels, doing veg, making drink, even sat and did some ironing, thought i am not load bearing so its okay..but wrong..Consultant said you 'must' elivate above heart level.. :-\ I had back slab on first it was taken off yesterday thank god, it was to heavy and really tight!! they put on a synthetic full cast with wet plaster strips, then used saw to cut out a 2" strip down centre of leg to allow for more swelling if any..

Finding it really hard 'depending' on hubby for lots of things, but he has been a star, not one grumble, well not that i have heard anyway.. :)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »

You need to depend on him otherwise the leg will swell which will cause more pain.  Did they tell you that once swelling begins to go down you may need to return for a smaller plaster otherwise the limb will wriggle around and not get the support required?  Knitting needle to hand to scratch ...... however, I believe talc is better than a needle  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »

Never a knitting needle, my DD broke her wrist as a child and it was very tempting apparently, but can cause problems - like breaking skin. She had to keep her arm elevated every night which she found hard.
Pages: [1] 2