Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: st johns wort high blood pressure  (Read 7220 times)

kerrieann

st johns wort high blood pressure
« on: May 27, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »

hi all desperatly trying lift my mood and avoid ad s  so i bought some st johns wort i have taken it for 2 days and on checking my blood pressure this morning it is raised b****y great just when i thought i would take charge and try and do something positive  :(  i have googled this and there is conflicting advice as to whether it raises blood pressure any thoughts anyone ??

fiorinda

Re: st johns wort high blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »

Hi Kerrieann,
I took SJW for a time a few years ago to help me when I was feeling particularly low, and found it really very good. It just made me a bit more cheerful. The only side effect I 'suffered' was I got a suntan much more easily! As I have pretty low blood pressure anyway I have no idea if it increased it. I felt fine, physically. Not very helpful, I'm sorry. I guess 2 days is a short time, I don't know if it would have any effect so quickly - it is said you need to take it for a month or so before you really see an improvement in mood. So the raised blood pressure could be something else? Can you consult a qualified herbalist?

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »

hi fiorinda, yes i have read that its quite good and as i dont take to pills very well i wanted to give it a try i see what your saying thats its meant to take a while to have effect but iam not sure if its that which has raised my blood pressure i have to take my blood pressure at home as i get white coat syndrome at the docs lol  and it doesnt very often go up for no reason so not sure what to do now i dont know to a qualified herbalist so iam hoping that someone will come along on here thats had some experience with sjw  :)

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »

Are you on HRT. I do know you can't take it with that.

I would doubt it would have an effect quite so quickly but if I were you I would phone either your GP or practice nurse for advice.

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »

no honeybun not on hrt just a blood pressure med and water tablet if it is raising my blood pressure i was going to try kalms dont know how effective the are for anxiety

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:30:22 PM »

Blood pressure medication is down as one of the reasons not to take SJW I think http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?medicine=St.%20Johns%20wort

Taz x

kerrieann

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »

taz i checked the list and my tablets were not on there however by last night i had a headache so i didnt take one last night and checked my b pressure this morning and its back to normal so feel it may be the sjw