Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Vitamins  (Read 4045 times)

ellie

Vitamins
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:22:18 AM »

I recently had to have a blood test and one of the results said I was very short of vitamin D. The doctor has peescribed vitamin D tablets and recommender that I take cod liver oil tablets...
What vitamins do you take and why?

Taz2

Re: Vitamins
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »

I don't take any but always wonder if I should. Lack of vitamin D is apparently a common problem since we made it "bad" to go out in the sun and also, of course, due to our rather gloomy summers. My doc is not keen to test for any vitamin deficiency but I suppose it depends on symptoms. What symptoms did you have Ellie?

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »

I have taken vitamins and supplements all my life, starting with NHS orange juice and cod liver oil and rose hip syrup when I was baby lol.

I know it has paid off, I have lifelong interest in preventative health and have a diploma in Nutrition.

The best thing is to read books such as an essential guide to vitamins and minerals, you can get then on Amazon for pennies or visit your local library and look in the health section.

Taking cod liver oil is a good idea in  Winter but its best to switch to fish oils in the summer months, getting at least 20 mins sunshine a day without sunscreen is the best way to absorb Vitamin D  http://www.sunshinevitamin.org/

Don't wash or shower straight away after being in sunshine as this can effect absorption.

Firewalker50

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »

Hello Ellie

I take Vitamin D3 spray.  I use the BetterYou mouthspray since I am not keen on taking lots of pills or capsules.   I did not take it when I was on holiday.

I also take pharmaceutical grade fish oil - Omega 3.  It is a natural anti inflammatatory.

I take Vitamin B12 mouth spray too.  Sometimes I take a multi B vitamin.   

I also use magnesium bath salts and body spray now and again.   Helps to relax muscles (among many many other benefits).  It is a crucial mineral for the body.

Fx

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »

hi silver lady  wonder if i can pick your brains i have  bad reaction from meds and the only 2 i take are olmesartan and bendroflumethazide both for high blood pressure which i know i must take and i feel i get side effects from them blurred vision is one  my question is i would much prefer to take vitamin supplements but they always upset my stomach which must be sensitive as i cant take asprin or anything similar ive been using a vitamin d spray and seem to be ok with that and a b complex and thats ok but any good multi vitamins and my stomach plays up what iam looking for is something for anxiety and joint pain as i get bad back and groin pains not sure if you can suggest anything but would be grateful if you could  :)

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »

Kerrieann its always better to check with your doctor if you have back pain and groin pains as there could be lot of reasons

http://www.livestrong.com/article/360344-back-groin-ache/

Also if you have been prescribed two lots of blood pressure tablets you should never stop without consulting your doctor. There are natural ways though to control blood pressure http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsek/a/Hypertension.htm

I take Boron and Bamboo extract (silica) for joint pain

Emergen-C Multi-Vitamin Plus Apricot-Mango Fizzy Drink Mix 30 Sachets  maybe more gentle on your stomach, when I have had them I always let the fizz settle before I drink. You can get them on amazon or some health shops.

Anxiety that's tricky because what works for one person may not work for another,  here is a good article

http://www.womentowomen.com/depressionanxietyandmood/anxiety.aspx

Hope this may help.

kerrieann

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »

thanks for the reply silverlady i know that i cant give up the blood pressure meds although i wish i could but i will check out the links you gave me  :)

Winterose

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 11:55:43 AM »

Have a look on Dr Briffas blogs - he has quite a bit on Vit D -  :D

kerrieann

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »

hi silverlady i checked out the links you gave me and i dont have any of the symptoms for any of them a few people have said it could be arthritis  :( i have an appiontent with gp on thursday so i will see if there ant tests i can have i dont want to be just given pain killers to mask things so i will see what he offers as for the last couple of days my right arm is so very stiff it hurts to reach up to the washing line and to fasten my bra  ive had this before and it went so iam wondering if it is maybe arthritis ?