Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: first time at the gym aged 52  (Read 9059 times)

shirleyp

first time at the gym aged 52
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »

My daughter aged 17 has been on about joining a gym for a while but I cried off - never been in one, too old, too expensive etc.
 She persuaded me to buy 10 sessions on one of the discount sites for £19 each at a local gym and after much prevaricating we went. I really expected to hate it and be really intimidated by all the fit 20 somethings but I am really enjoying it!
We both struggled with how to start the various machines, I had some seriously wobbly legs after using the treadmill for the first time and found that I love rowing but my shoulder does not agree (old injury).
Problem is, the sessions are nearly up and we both want to continue but as she is still at school I will have to pay for both of us to join - my husband will have a fit at the cost even with student/NHS discount! He says running outside, which I do, is enough.
I do feel that after 22 years of putting the kids first and paying for them to do various thing (and still doing so) I deserve to spend time and money on myself to keep myself fit and healthy. I work full time and am doing a foundation degree at Uni  and its good to spend time with my daughter.

I know what most of you will say before I post this but there is the money issue and how many people have taken out a gym membership and then lost the enthusiasm to go?

Flyaway x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: first time at the gym aged 52
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »

Probably more people have paid out than continued!  Could you join a joggers club local to you?  Or the Rambling Association?  Or look on your local OS map and find woods/canal paths/Public footpaths which are all free  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »

You go for it Flyaway! Obviously walking is good but the gym targets so many more specific areas such as upper body strength for one! No more flabby arms or bingo wings for you!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »

My OH is the same.

Can you find a pay as you go gym. If you don't have to sign up to something you may not use to its full capacity then he can't complain.
Our local pool and also fitness centre have this kind of arrangement.

Everybody happy then.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »

Our local council gym has similar, pay as you go. Only problem with that is there are too many people wanting to use the facilities. Some gyms do off peak rates. Would that be an option maybe?

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 12:18:34 PM »

I agree with the others, see if you can find a pay-as-you-go gym, there seem to be plenty about.  I started back in November and although it isn't my favourite pastime I try and go twice a week plus a session of Pilates and I do feel better for it  :)

Suzi Q

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

Sorry Ladies but tell him to buggar off (sorry) Your working full time your entitled
Does he go to PUB does he go to GOLF does he have a hobby going to fottie matches?
I love my Bobbes but he was not happt at me joining a gym money up front
I said to him yu played football for over 25 years you bought boots trained 3 times a week
Had to pay for trainers you had injuried money for Chiropractors Physios (no nazzie health pays that in Ozz)
I think seeing as for over 5 years OI earned more than you Im entitled that shut him up
Men are fab but weird they dont see our need in the same way we do
EG I worked full time untill 6 years ago Did all the house and the cooking washing just like everyone
I had a microwave and a cheap 2 thing whisk bought in a garage sale and a fry pan 25 year old
Bobbles started to cook 5 years ago he now does all the cooking He has every bloody gadget known to man
He had that French exy pan set He has Blenders diff ones George formby grill huge one A Webber now hes got 3
HUge wok Huge fry pan a hugeskilett Then the Drinks blender a food blender even JOLIVER stuff for doing spicers
Spagetti maker The latest NESPRESSO MACHINE a bloody Porceline knife !! Come on !! He says he needs them to cook
See what I mean when they do something they want to get everyhting but for us they cant see it they just dont get it
So If you can why mnot find a gymn where you can pay as you go or pay 10 at a time as before if not join yourself
As for your daughter why not get it as a birthday present early one get her DAD toi buy her one on the day
But if money is very tight look around see if they as I said pay as you go gymn also look for Zumba classes
Love enjoyyour daughter being togetehr and of course give your hubbie a big kiss and do what you want anyway

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »

Flyaway - It's time to start doing what you want for a change.

The Gym really helps to exercise many different parts of the body.
Running is good for cardio vascular things, but for many it also wrecks the knees.
Ask your husband does he want you to destroy your knees?

For me, once membership has been taken out, you get into a routine where
you get definite "Me" time, and actually really enjoy going.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:57:35 PM by Limpy »

KatieLiz

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »

Sometimes when you take out an offer and it runs out it may be worth waiting a little while to see if they can give you another discount to entice you to join.  Perhaps you could strike up a new deal and not pay the full price!

I do believe in spending your money on things you want or enjoy because you could end up spending the money anyway on something you didn't want to!

Oldteen

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:02:51 PM »

I'd never liked exercise ( apart from walking or swimming) but joined a women's only gym  two years ago when I was 55. I love it! I've had a few setbacks when I've had colds, a cough that lasted about two months and just now a sore knee, but I've persevered. I'm not much lighter in weight but my waist is two inches smaller, my legs are slimmer and I feel more toned and supple. I've always had nice arms ( the only part of my body I like) and they're nice and trim.

Keep at it Flyaway. There are worse things you could spend your money on.

shirleyp

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »

Thank you for all your replies, just recovering from a really nasty cold that put me in bed for 2 days. Cannot believe it, have not had a cold for 3 years so my theory is that all the dormant viruses were all triggered together?! Another theory is all the bugs floating around in the gym!!
Anyway I've not been put off - I prefer running outside and do lots of walking with my husband but as Limpy says I want to work other areas of my body and hopefully go to some classes too which I'm hoping will also improve my running. My husband is a  bit of a workaholic at the mo so no pub or golf for him Suzi, so the long walks are great de-stressers for us both.
I've just stopped paying out for a car loan so finances are a little easier and the Government has given us NHS workers a 1% payrise for the first time in a few years! Looks like I'm talking myself into it.....

Flyaway x