Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you get scars to fade  (Read 12999 times)

honeybun

How do you get scars to fade
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »

I don't know if any of you remember. Last year I had an accident and quite badly burned my neck.
The scar runs in blotches from just under my chin down to the collar bone.

It's been ok in the winter as its been covered with scarves but now the weather is getting better the scarves are getting put away. I am very self conscious as they are bright white and I have quite dark skin.

I have tried bio oil but it's not working.

Do I just have to wait and hope they fade or is there some way of hurrying this along. Make up does not work at all.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

Re: How do you get scars to fade
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »

You could try Kelo-cote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1319735/How-make-scar-vanish-There-host-treatments-work.html

I did not post the website as it had prices.

I got something similar from my GP on prescription, its worth a try honeybun.

pixie

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »

Hi,

This is interesting. I have tried bio-oil on my scars on my foot - after 3 operations.  I would say it helped improve the look of it, but it has not improved the feel of it. I also tried silicone based dressings, but not the boots one. I didn't feel it did much but difficult on a foot anyway as kept slipping.  I may try the oil you mentioned Silverlady. At the moment i have a lump under one of my laproscopy wounds, which the doctor says is a seroma, however don't want scar tissue there to.Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:33:58 PM by pixie »

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »

Another that you could try is the herb Gotu Kola, it breaks down scar tissue

http://www.livestrong.com/article/361065-gotu-kola-for-scars/

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:29:09 PM »

Honey  ;)  ........ or Nivea, rubbed in gently several times a day.  Or go the Counter in your local store i.e. J Lewis and ask one of the girls for some special make-up.  I know that there are Companies that make foundations for those people badly scarred in accidents.

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »

Vitamin E oil is helpful to reduce scaring. 
This was recommended by a Nurse when I had stitches removed from a cut on my chin.
Took some time but did eventually work.

pixie

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »

Scars are very difficult to get rid of and are the results of 'over healing'. After having an op for a mortons neuroma, scar built up  under my foot. The surgeon had to repeat the operation and take out the nerve that had stuck to the bone and the scar tissue. Unfortunatley it all grew back!!  Then I had another surgeon, who had to remove it again along with a traumatic neuroma that had developed! It alls back again!  I put the silicone dressings on it for a while, but not much good. I also massaged with bio-oil, which took all the redness away, but I still feel it all and sometimes it is very sore.  As a result been on lots of pills, gabapentin, lyrica, amtitriptylline, duolextine and citalopram!! In the end I take nothing and do massage it but it seems to aggravate it. Maybe it is worth shelling out for this stuff, seeing as surgeon recommend it.  One of osteopaths i saw once had a very large scar on his arm and said he used products with calendura oil which made a difference to him. Honey particularly manuka honey is used in some wound dressings before a wound has healed, but once it has healed, silicone seems to be the dressing of choice.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:44:57 PM by pixie »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »

Calendura ? Marigold?

pixie

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 02:58:04 PM »

Calendula perhaps, sorry can't remember! ::)
If you look on Livestrong.com and google it.  Sorry not good at links like Taz. ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:02:04 PM by pixie »

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »

I tend to over heal (Hypertrophic) though not on my face. I have found that it takes years for the scars to eventually break down and soften, my hysterectomy scar still has some lumpy areas and I still have some from breast surgery that  get itchy.

Flat scars will be helped with creams, my flat scars have but not the lumpy ones.

Keloid and Hypertrophic scars made need intervention  but even then they could still react in the same way, it all depends on your skin type.

http://scartreatmentreport.com/scar-treatment/hypertrophic-scars/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:11:36 PM by silverlady »

Lucky Stone

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »

Hmm, I don't know whether it would work but you could coconut oil. Get the virgin stuff in a jar and smooth it on last thing at night. It smells nice. I'm using it on my face and it seems to make my skin nice. Folk in the south seas who use coconuts for everything, inside and out, claim all sorts for it. It's worth a try  :)

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

The treatments all look interesting although the reports of success are very mixed.
It's not raised scar tissue except in one small bit. I think I will have a word with my GP the next time I am in to see if she can prescribe one of the silicone products.
Some of them are very expensive and I don't want to start spending lots and have no success.

Who would have thought cauliflower cheese could cause so much fuss.

Honeyb
X

pixie

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »

Silverlady, did you use the Keli-cote for your lumpy scars. Can you buy it from ordinary chemists such as B-----? I wouldn't say mine was either keloid or hypertrophic, as you can't really see it, but it all inside. I think walking helps sometimes as it stretches it.

The dressings I got on prescription were called mepiform. They are very thin and flesh coloured. You can wash and re-use them, but although they made the scar feel softer and flatter,  when I stopped using it, it just went hard lumpy again. It may have helped though as you the scar isn't visible now really much.   I find any cream helpful, as it seems to moisturise and help with movement now.
Dressings tended to roll up under my foot, but you might find it ok on your neck?  They are really expensive so I ended up only getting 5 from my GP, which I had to keep cutting, washing and re-using.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:50:48 PM by pixie »

Lucky Stone

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

Cauliflower cheese, or indeed molten cheese as it could also be called. Hot fat. Just the worst thing. Poor you  :-\

Scampi

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 06:49:09 AM »

My daughter used Bio-Oil very successfully on scars on her hand and wrist from k-wires (she broke her wrist several years ago - the break was pinned with wires that stuck out through the skin - they left angry, purple/red scars when they were removed which did not fade).  It's not cheap, but Lady P says is lasts ages and works well (her scars are now only visible if you look for them - you don't see them at a glance).
Pages: [1] 2