Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: GP Update  (Read 6879 times)

Kathleen

GP Update
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:28:22 PM »

Just seen my GP who has prescribed Climesse HRT for my meno symptoms of anxiety and depression. He suggested that I reduce my Citalopram dose from 30mg to 20mg but to stick with the Beta Blockers. I am to see him again in six months for a review and in the meantime to report any bleeding or breast changes.
Needless to say I'm now fretting about taking the drugs, especially after reading the possible side effects. I'm concerned that I'll feel no better or even worse than I do now.
Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: GP Update
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 05:16:04 PM »

I've been where you are and sometimes my fears were confirmed  >:(

Does the Citalopram help your previous symptoms?  I take a maintenance dose of 5mg at night along with 40mg Propranolol beta-blocka: if I am extra low or anxious in the morning I add one of each at breakfast time.  The thing is not to alter medication too abruptly or we never know which works  ::)

If you don't have any committments over the next few weeks I would begin taking the new regime.  That way any side-effects can be dealt with in the comfort ? of your own home  ;)

When did you last have a cervical smear test and/or mammogram?

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:03:41 PM »

Thank you CKLD for your helpful comments. I will reduce the Citalopram gradually and  carry on taking the Beta Blockers as usual then hopefully I'll be able to identify any new 'sensations' with the HRT.  My last smear and mammogram was three years ago so I think it will be another two years before I'm called again.
Here's hoping for a positive outcome!
K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »

So you have a base line from which to work.  Check your breasts carefully.  I do mine nightly in the bath/shower.

Suzi Q

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 11:40:53 AM »

I agree with CLKD
But you can always have a smeat and mamo if you want it pay for it
Or just ask the GP to send you for one on the national health
If theres reasons your worried GP if hes a goodie or she will sort it for you
But if push come to shove pay for a mamo my cousin in Wallasey did so she didnt have tways or go to Pub for a month
She reconed it was worth every penny  her GP also gave her a smear as he said they arent rashioned NOT YET xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Just to say that, unlike the other medications you are taking, replacing oestrogen is not taking another drug - it is a hormone, which is deficient as you approach and go through the menopause.

It is a good thing the doctor is prescribing HRT for anxiety as lack of oestrogen is often the cause of this when it starts at menopause. The only thing I would say about Climesse, is that it contains a synthetic progestogen - norethisterone - in addition to the oestrogen, and this particular progestogen sometimes causes side effects in some women. Because you are being given this continuously, if you do experience problems you won't be able to tell what is causing them.

Not sure how old you are or where in meno - how long since last period? Are you post-meno?

Personally, and in your position I would be inclined to go for a cyclical HRT and use bio-identcial preparations (Utrogestan is bio-identical  progesterone) - as you don't want to be swapping one problem for another.

However it may well be perfect for you but just don't give up on HRT if this one doesn't work for you - try a different type and we can help with that!

Hope this helps and you feel better soon

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »

Thank you ladies for your helpful replies. I am 56 and post meno as my last period was over two years ago. I have learned from following the forum that finding the right HRT can be tricky so it is good to know there are other versions I can try if the Climesse doesn't suit. Wouldn't it be fab to hit the jackpot first time!
K.