Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Vasovagal syncope  (Read 12552 times)

lizzog

Vasovagal syncope
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:29:31 AM »

Had a tilt table test this week as I was query POTS. The test was pretty horrible, I had 15 minutes laying completely flat strapped to a table, then tilted upright. I lasted 3 minutes then my blood pressure plummeted and I blacked out. The main thing I can do to combat this problem is avoid situations where I may have a trigger (!!), up my salt and water intake.
I've had this problem since I was young, and its taken me so long to get a proper diagnosis.
Just wondered if anyone on here had this? I seem to remember Firewalker having a similar problem?

Rowan

Re: Vasovagal syncope
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »

I have had a few episodes of  Vasovagal Syncope (fainting) but tests came back "unremarkable" I must admit the "tilt test" would be one I would not want.

I am not sure what I could advise  but here is a site for POTS http://www.potsuk.org/general_advice and one for Vasolvagal Syncope

http://heartdisease.about.com/od/syncopefainting/a/Syncope-And-Its-Causes.htm
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:41:10 PM by silverlady »

lizzog

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:09:16 PM »

Thanks silverlady, that's interesting. Waiting for follow up appointment now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »

POTS means ?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »

The info is in the link http://www.potsuk.org/general_advice

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »

Oh - a friend of mine told me that she fainted for 'no reason' about 1 year ago, I wonder  ???

lizzog

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 07:30:08 AM »

My "triggers" have always been viral illnesses, periods, standing up for too long, eating large meals  and low blood sugar. I have just learned to manage this, and have only just received the official "diagnosis".
With the menopause, I seem to have a collection of symptoms at any given time, mainly hip and low back ache, restless legs and palps, when I'm like this I just have to be extra careful as it seems to make me more prone to fainting.
Once I have a follow up appointment I may be able to pass on some more advice.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »

Thanks for the link Silverlady - it makes it all much clearer. So, basically, its not life threatening as long as it is not the cardiac type and means that the blood vessels in the legs shut down causing pooling which then leads to a fainting attack? Not serious but disconcerting non the less!

This part is interesting as my friend's mum recently fainted in the supermarket aisle and had to go to hospital even though she knew she had just not taken any notice of the warning signs she always gets

"Pay close attention to any prodromal symptoms. Syncope is usually preceded by at least a few seconds of symptoms that may consist of visual disturbances, buzzing in the ears, lightheadedness, sweating, nausea or other symptoms. Individuals who have had syncopal episodes usually have an excellent idea of what prodromal symptoms they should expect.

It is important to recognize these symptoms, because if you do, syncope can be averted almost 100% of the time by lying down and elevating your legs. On the other hand, if you choose to ignore the warning symptoms, you are likely to pass out in the frozen foods section of your supermarket, and the store manager will insist (for well-founded legal reasons) on shipping you to the E.R. in an ambulance, where you'll be subjected to a battery of unnecessary tests and probably an overnight stay in the hospital. Another advantage of avoiding the actual syncope by lying down is that when you do, you also avoid the prolonged period of feeling "sick" (wasted, washed out, nauseated and dizzy) that often follows a vasovagal episode."

Taz x
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:01:15 AM by Taz2 »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »

Difficult whilst shopping though, similar to when people suffering epilepsy get warning ..... they need somewhere safe but not the phaff of a hospital trip each time!

Firewalker50

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »

Hi Lizzog

You have a good memory.  I had a vasovagal episode a couple of months ago.  I had not heard of it before.  I knew syncope was fainting and I know there are several recognised causes.  I had not heard of vasovagal episode.

it was explained that it is the vagus nerve part from heart to brain.

I believe mine was caused by a gastric virus and then an extremely stressful but very short situation.  I was sitting on the sofa with the laptop when it started - probably one of the worst feelings I have ever had.  Then, I felt the need to go to the toilet and staggered to the toilet.  It was afterwards as I was leaving the toilet that I passed out. 

Normally, from what I have read, it should only last for a few seconds until the blood flow normalises.  IN my case, I was out for around 10-15 minutes but I think I have probably knocked myself out when I fell.  I felt very upset and shattered when I came round.  I also ended up with concussion because I had hit my head

I do not have POTS but it was good to check the site and I wonder if it might relate to my mother so will refer it to her.

I had blood checks and an ECG (all of 20 seconds) done, all of which were clear/normal/no problem (think Silverlady said she had the same).   

Here is a very brief extract from an article - it refers to some people having it from childhood.   I also like the Wikipaedia entry:  link at the bottom.   Hope you find that helpful Lizzog although you may already have read about it.

Who Gets Vasovagal Syncope?

The reflex that causes vasovagal syncope can occur to some extent in everyone, so almost anyone can have an episode as long as a strong enough triggering event occurs. Indeed, it is likely that most people will have a fainting episode at least once in their lives.

Vasovagal syncope can occur at any age, but it is much more common in adolescents and young adults than in older people.

Some people are particularly prone to vasovagal episodes and often faint even with relatively mild triggering events. These individuals tend to relate histories of syncope dating back to adolescence. They frequently will describe several episodes, often with several different kinds of triggering events.

In some people, vasovagal syncope is so frequent and so difficult to treat that they become virtually disabled by it. These individuals often have a form of dysautonomia (imbalance of the autonomic nervous system) that makes them very prone to the reflex that causes this condition. They also often have other persistent symptoms typical of the dysautonomias, such as abdominal bloating or cramps, diarrhea, constipation, extreme fatigue and various aches and pains.

In fact, the several-hour period of symptoms that can follow an episode of vasovagal syncope (mentioned above) strongly mimics many of the symptoms experienced chronically by people with dysautonomia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve#The_vagus_nerve_and_the_heart

Fx

lizzog

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »

Thanks Firewalker, and for the link. I think it is definitely the case that this is more common in adolescents and young adults, it certainly was for me!
I will be watching my kids, age 10 and 15, so if they develop any symptoms they will hopefully be quicker to find out than me in my 47th year!!
There is also a link with hypermobility, and myself and my son are both hypermobile, not sure about my daughter though.

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:08:59 PM »

I had a good few fainting episodes when I was a child. Usually when I was unwell or very upset.
I have had two as an adult. One when I had the start of a frozen shoulder and passed out with the pain. The second was at work and I cut my finger through to the bone......that was the bit that upset me.....and although I did not faint I knew the signs and lay for a while on the floor till the warning signs went.

It is the most horrible sensation and one which I have always remembered.

Talking about the tilt table. After my OH had a heart attack he had to undergo so many tests. One was the table.....they could actually get his heart to stop beating at one point.......very scary. He then had ......can't remember what you call it......a stent inserted to open up something or another. He has a kink in one of the main arteries to the heart.

I think if there is no apparent cause this kind of episode needs investigation.

Honeyb
X