Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Melatonin & HRT  (Read 12591 times)

Winterose

Melatonin & HRT
« on: April 18, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »

Advice please ; Sent for some melatonin spray to see if it will help with Jetlag when we go on holiday. It says it shouldnt be taken with HRT - does anyone know why and or what it does when taken with HRT? Am on Estradot 75 . Did see somewhere that it might reduce efficiency of HRT. Thank you . :P

pixie

Re: Melatonin & HRT
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »

Hi Winterose,

I have taken melatonin before and it has helped me sleep when I have problems.  I'm not on HRT.  The only thing I can think of is that they are both hormones?  ;)

Winterose

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »

Thank you, suspect it must supress the estrogen but will see if anyone has experience of it. Am sure if its only used occasionally it should be ok,  ::)

pixie

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »

They sell it in health food shops in USA, which is where I got it.  All these things occur naturally in body don't they.  Not much is known about the long-term effects of melatonin, but like you say occasionally if it works...... ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:39:25 PM by pixie »

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »

I read in a magazine at the doctors that it should not be used for any more than six weeks.

That was as far as I got before my appointment.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:03 AM »

I don't think you should worry too much about taking melatonin as long as you take it at the right time, an hour or two before you sleep if you take the pill version, or when you turn out the lights if you use a  spray or sublingual. Very low doses are advised.

I have been talking melatonin on and off for about five years, and sometimes at a stretch, I also use an oestrogen patch and have not noticed any untoward effect.

Here is a scientific paper  on melatonin http://examine.com/supplements/Melatonin/

and here health benefits 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/03/19/melatonin-benefits.aspx

Also possible drug interactions

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/melatonin-000970.htm

A book I recommend is  "The Melatonin Miracle  by Walter Pierpaoli, M.D. and William Regelson, M.D" there is some good info on the connection between melatonin and menopause, there was a trial in Italy where melatonin was added to HRT.

It also lowers cortisol levels which in turn lowers stress so is good for the heart.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:42:44 AM by silverlady »

Winterose

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »

Silver lady , thank you so much for all that, bought 2 sprays and they were £24 each off internet .  When they arrived i saw it said not to be taken if on hrt and imagined all sorts of side effects, wont worry now and will look at those papers. :D

Jubilee

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »

I have been taking Melatonin for a few years for Insomnia ..I have no  no side effects from it at all and it does help me sleep without the awful hangover feel of Zopiclone or Temazepam .. no sure that it really helps Jet Lag but they do say in some mags that it does ..I buy it in UK

Winterose

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 12:05:19 PM »

Will trial it next week, the Melatonin I bought was Dr Mercola and its made in Canada ,  :)