Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bit worried  (Read 17588 times)

honeybun

Bit worried
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »

Most of you know I have a bit of a love/drive me up the wall relationship with my mother.

Anyway....two weeks ago she had a bout of self inflicted food poisoning due to eating a tub of creamed rice which was 2 months out of date. The sickness and diahorea lasted a few hours and then passed.

She has not bounced back this time and looks terrible. We had the GP out and he gave her the all clear and her stool test came back clear.

Is it possible that she is just still recovering or what.

She is having terrible night sweats and is so tired all the time.
Her walking is dreadful and I am so concerned she will fall.

Don't know where we are going with this.

Should we get the doctor back or do we just need to accept at nearly 91 she is just done and there will be no great improvement.

Any words of wisdom ladies.

Honeyb
X

Evenstar

Re: Bit worried
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:03:32 PM »

So sorry to hear that your Mums not too well :(
  I think if she usually recovers well from illness and this is unusual for her, yes, I would definitely contact the Dr again.
       Hope she is feeling more like her own self again soon.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »

Every time now that she has any kind of illness she does not seem to get back to where she was. There is  always a deterioration, but this time it is really quite shocking to see how weak she is and how there is not even a little improvement.

Not sure if the GP could do anything for her.

Has anyone else experienced this with a very elderly relative.

Honeyb
X

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:41:19 PM »

I think I would contact her GP again - just to be on the safe side.  Food poisoning (among other things) are always so much worse in the very young or the elderly....

Scampi

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »

Has she gone back to eating properly, or is she now picking at food (this often happens after such a bout, especially in the elderly).  If she isn't eating properly (and please understand I'm trying to suggest solutions here, not trying to make your life harder - I know you work very hard for your Mum anyway), can you try to tempt her with high-calorie, easy to eat food (full-fat ice-cream, full-fat milk desserts, etc) or try fortified milk-shakes. 

Appetite drops off dramatically as people age anyway - an upset stomach will only make this worse.

I hope your Mum improves soon x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »

If these are a new symptom then the night sweats should ring a bell with her GP.  Could be thyroid linked? Maybe a chat with the Practice Nurse and ask if the District Nursing Team would go in for a chat with your Mum?

Of course you are worried.  Our wrinklies can go down hill so fast once they have had an illness, it takes longer for their systems to pick up again. 

Have you been able to chat with the GP since his visit?  Has your Mum told him about the night sweats?

pixie

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:37 PM »

Did he check her temperature?

They do take a long time to get better. My mum is the same.  She will get there.
Hopefully she hasn't got dehydrated with all this? X ;)

My mum recently had a stomach bug too. Shes not quite right yet either.  She tends to eat M & S cumberland pies, salmon etc.  She also likes magnum ice creams. 

A lot of chatting going on CLKD  ;D x
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:44:04 PM by pixie »

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 05:18:56 PM »

Did he run some blood tests as well as testing the stool sample Honeybun? As she has had sickness and diarrhoea before which was not related to food poisoning could it be that she has got something else going on? The night sweats definitely sound like some kind of low grade infection.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 06:37:42 PM »

She has had the night sweats off and on for years so the GP does know about them.

She did have bloods done and they all came back fine so not sure what else they could check for.

She is eating although she never eats much. Her appetite has shrunk over the years.

Maybe she is just taking such a long while to get better because she is so old.

I don't want to live to her age.....It's so not fun any more.

Fingers crossed that she picks up just a little bit.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »

After a bug sometimes the taste buds alter.  We 'taste'   with our tongues and nasal passages so maybe something smelly or spicy might perk up her appetite?  Certainly if the cat was off his/her food then it was popped into the microwave - food bowl not the cat  ::) - to bring out the 'scent' of the food.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »

Well a bit of an update.

We had the nurse in on Monday to do bloods.

She is worse. Waiting now for the test results before calling in the doctor again. There did not seem much point until then.

She is so week and has been sick again. She looks terrible. So white and drawn and her eyes are very sunken. I have never ever seen her look like this. She can't walk now without holding onto a walking frame.

I am really worried.

Don't know what's going on at all.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »

They don't seem to have resistance do they.  However much she drives you and your sister 'up the wall' it would be nice to know what is going on!  C.dif. or something?

:hug:

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 08:31:04 PM »

Oh I don't know CLKD.

She is disappearing before my eyes.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:26 PM »

How long before the results are returned?  What blood tests did the Nurse do?

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »

Not sure what the tests the GP requested.

The usual I would think.....liver, kidney, blood count.

Sis will call tomorrow for results but I think it will be Thursday.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2 3 4