Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Boston Marathon  (Read 27503 times)

lily

Re: Boston Marathon
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »

I agree honeybun, think it's more because their men want them covered - wonder if they are also not encouraged to learn English to keep them apart?

Limpy

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »

Watching it now.
Horrifying

Taz2

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »

My OH has spent many years in Saudi Arabia - he has always been very upset at the way women are treated there.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »

Women are their fathers possessions and then their husbands.

I feel so sorry that in the 21st century women are treated like this and for some they just accept.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »

There are just as many controlling cruel men as there are kind gentle men in any race, colour or creed.

I have lived in Muslim countries when I was younger, my best friend lived next door and she  had a Muslim father and a Chinese mother, I never saw any controlling behaviour, they were a happy family and I use to go on holiday with them to Penang, this was in the early sixties.

Some women are treated very badly ( in some countries dreadfully but they are beginning to fight back) I know and I have worked with Muslim women who have been, but there are some women who find the Muslim faith makes them feel protected and secure, its all a matter of outlook and circumstances.

British women can have a tough time with some men and can be treated very badly and find it very hard to leave an abusive relationship, the behaviour of the men can often be learned down through the generations.

Women in general have had a tough time through the ages, its only since we got the "vote" that women's lives have changed in the Western World and we can see how other cultures differ from our own attitudes, which up to then was always a "Man's World" and women's fortunes were always dependant on men.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:25:40 AM by silverlady »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »

This is why that 14 year old girl was shot and rushed to the UK to be treated - because she wants free schooling for girls.  Also female circumcision is common World wide, including the UK  :'(

Suzi Q

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »

Thanks CLKD my brother before he died worked in Saudia teaching and no women
He could have taken his wife and daughter but refused after 2months there he wouldnt subject them to intolerance
Women couldnt drive even princess are stoned to death if they do anythng wrong
A womens raped unless she has 4 MEN to say its true they saw it shes killed
MUlim women in India are reg burnt to death by parent in in law and husbands to keep her dowry
You hear and see on TV etc Modernised weatern Muslim women whod not last 1 day in Pakistan
They go on about hoe enlightened the religion is yet even here in Ozz these women had to get permission
To go to the shops with out a man In India girl babies are murderd reg by all religions cos sons are wanted
But its taken us western women 1,920 years roughly to get the Vote 1,960 years before e got custody of uor children

Look now as my pal whos gay said hes my age
In 1980 in Ozz homosexuality was ilegal Jail now 32 years later
They can marry they can adopt children they have the same rights as any other member of society
Thats how it should be BUT even he said he thought most of it was cos they were men  its always been that way 
IT only took the HOmosexual community 32 years to gain all their rights meanwhile us women
2000 years later we are still awaiting equality and thats us Western women so the other god only kows how long

CLKD

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »

Many years ago my Uncle was offered a position in Saudi but his wife would not have been allowed to drive or be seen in the street unaccompanied so they went to Kuwait instead. 

It's a rum old World  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2013, 07:39:55 PM »

Yes there are many controlling men in our society. The difference is they are the exception and not the norm. Of course there will be a small number of Muslim women who will fight the trend.

There are however so many women who are brought up to accept this as their lot.

Why should that be......ok I will answer my own question......fear.

They are scared. Under educated....they are left with few choices.

Sad.....but true.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2013, 08:16:34 PM »

Even those with an education recognise their cultural restrictions. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]