Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New and in need  (Read 6126 times)

Kathleen

New and in need
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »

Hello ladies, me again. Sorry about this but I've never used a forum before and I'm still finding my way. I've been following the posts for a while and so often I've read something that describes excactly how I feel and that has been a great comfort, making me feel less alone on this horrible journey.
I am 56, married with two grown up children and had my last period two and a half years ago. I've had many of the symptoms of menopause but my biggest problems are the emotional ones. Since Christmas the anxiety and tension has been constant and I honestly don't know how much more of this I can take. I am not on any HRT but I am taking 30mg of Citalopram and Bet Blockers when necessary. I am due to see my GP next week and I'm wondering what to say. Would HRT mean I will go back to having a bleed? Should I ask for something like Diazepam? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thank you for being there and for reading this. K

littleminnie

Re: New and in need
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:27:45 AM »

Hi Kathleen, I started on Everol Conti patches 3 years after my last period. Ive been on them almost 2 years and I havent had a bleed.
How long have you been on the Citalopram and BB for?

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 01:15:27 PM »

Thank you littleminnie. I've been taking the anti depressant Citalopram since April 2010, they are supposed to help with anxiety and reduce night sweats and that may well be the case as I sleep very well ( there is evidence that I do sweat at night but it never wakes me up). The dose was 20mg and in January this year it was increased to 30mg plus I was prescribed the Beta Blocker Propanolol, 10mg once or twice a day as required. My issue at the moment is that my anxiety has gone from being a bit cyclical, sort of two weeks of feeling not too bad followed by two weeks of feeling hellish  to feeling hellish 24/7.
I'm interested to see that you've been using Everol Conti patches and they don't give you a bleed, that may be something I can mention to my GP.
If I knew that this unstable time is going to end fairly soon then maybe I could stick it out, work my life around my horrible feelings and look forward to a more normal existance,  trouble is no-one can give you any guarantees and the thought that I may  be stuck like this for years fills me with dread. K.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »

You definitely don't need to have an HRT that causes you to bleed.
If you look at the green menu on the left you will see what HRT is available for post menopausal women which you are....ie over a year without a period.
You can carry on with the ADs and the beta blockers while you are on HRT.

It is good to go to your GP with an idea of what you want.

Let us know how it goes

Honeyb
X

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »

Thank you Honeybun. I will certainly study the green menu when I have more time and I'll let you know what my GP suggests after I see him next week.
K.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »

Sometimes it's trial an error to get it right with HRT. It can take a few goes to find one that suits.

I wish I knew if/when it would all end, and I am on HRT.

Not much fun this meno lark.

Honeyb
X

grumpyandIknowit

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »

Just saying Hello and sending a BIG HUG  :welcomemm:

I am the same age as you and am getting exactly the same symptoms BUT you are braver than me, I have a fear of the Docs and I know I should be getting something to help, so Good Luck X