Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 202067 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #750 on: May 14, 2023, 08:42:26 AM »

;D

CLKD

« Reply #751 on: May 14, 2023, 10:37:52 AM »

:medal:

CLKD

« Reply #752 on: May 16, 2023, 02:28:16 PM »

Busy++.  Now worn out!  DH keeps saying 'stop now' and I keep finding another bit to do.

He put a shove hoe along the front gravel B4 the ⛅️, so I've been sieving weeds to make sure that no worms go into the recycling bin!  Then I had him empty a heavy pot which I have sorted through: daffs and crocii bulbs : have added a heuchura and two variegated creeping plants with deep purple flowers. 

CLKD

« Reply #753 on: May 19, 2023, 12:56:54 PM »

During the Heat Wave I almost lost a heather plant, it seems to have revived over Winter so this morning I carefully cut with scissors all the dead wood.  Flowers cut back a bit, in the wild they would be grazed by sheep and grouse, as I don't have those to hand ......... given a lot of water from the barrels, will need to mix up some heather feed for the next time.  Then it rained  ::)

Everything here is lush  :-*

Minusminnie

« Reply #754 on: May 23, 2023, 09:25:37 AM »

Could do with a drop of rain here now to get young plants going and refill the butts.  Can't see much rain forecast here until early June.

CLKD

« Reply #755 on: May 23, 2023, 11:39:23 AM »

We garden on clay so it's either muddy or stiff.  Have spent several hours, over-doing it again  :-\ - watering the newly set ceanothus B4 covering with home-grown mulch.  Decided to hoike out the bluebells and found a struggling hydrangea so that's out, soaking B4 going into a pot for the Summer. 

Birds found me for meal worms  8)  :-*

Topped up pond ............ more blanket weed dragged out  :o

Minusminnie

« Reply #756 on: June 03, 2023, 04:28:07 PM »

Trying not to get disheartened with the garden. 
Too dry for some plants now & there is a limit as to how much metered water we are prepared to use. Ordered a 4th water butt yesterday.  If this is the future we may have to stop growing things like runner beans.  :(

littleminnie

« Reply #757 on: June 03, 2023, 05:36:48 PM »

Our garden is really dry   Our water butts are empty.  :(

CLKD

« Reply #758 on: June 03, 2023, 05:45:45 PM »

Is it your hobby Minusminnie?  Currently we have had a dripping kitchen tap for 2 years  >:( - hopefully next week the plumber will sort it. :-\  :-X  In the mean time we have the tap over a watering can which is carried out carefully twice a day and poured where necessary.  When push comes to shove we use the bath water unless it is really hot when I am too weary to cart it downstairs and out the front door.

When washing fruit/veg it's done over a bowl and carried to a waiting watering can outside the back door.  Our ponds require topping up at least twice a week so I remove two watering cans for the plants whilst gently letting the hose run. 

We have 4 water barrels to catch run off from sheds as well as a deep tank in the back garden which I fill with the hose.  At the front we have two barrels that catch run off from the down pipe.  It amazes me how much water gets washed away  :'(  :-\

I do miss the twin tub as I could stop the spin cycle into a bucket for the garden.  In the evenings we put the hose round once or twice a week, after the heat of the day, pointing it at the roots.  Yesterday I did the same with two newly planted roses and 3 ceanothus in the same bed.  Later I need to take the hose to one area which is wilting badly.  I am not prepared to lose plants - we should never be short of water, we live on an Island  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sometimes I leave the bath water to use in the loo .......... which needs a steady hand  :D

Minusminnie

« Reply #759 on: June 03, 2023, 07:31:59 PM »

Our garden is really dry   Our water butts are empty.  :(

Certainly is  :(

Is it your hobby Minusminnie? 

Guess so CLKD.  Even when we had a small garden we had an allotment. Granddaughter has shown some interest and has her own pots in our garden.
I’m keeping plants that I’ve put out just about alive but reluctant to put much more out until we get some rain now.

CLKD

« Reply #760 on: June 03, 2023, 07:37:12 PM »

Larger pots for plants are better as they hold water for longer.  Also slow release fertiliser pellets can save on having to use water with plant 'food'. 

There are Mediterranean plants to choose - I think that many will have to rethink what we grow if climate change becomes challenging.  Also making sure that all plant pots have saucers underneath to keep as much water round the roots as possible. 

We use tea and coffee left overs for the heathers/camellias etc. as well as water from the barrels.  I have to beware that buckets can trap frogs with or without water!

CLKD

« Reply #761 on: June 09, 2023, 03:51:14 PM »

I've been watching weeds growing in a pot so I know that I set a packet: they are corn cockle  :-*.  In another pot I have kidney vetch, again from a packet of mixed seeds.

Putting the hose round those roots that require it on alternate days unless something: i.e. astrantias : suddenly wilt.  Topped up the ponds.  Topped up birds water, again .

Minusminnie

« Reply #762 on: June 10, 2023, 12:23:36 PM »

Hurray some rain overnight and a bit today.

CLKD

« Reply #763 on: June 10, 2023, 12:29:44 PM »

Storms 4cast across most of England later  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #764 on: June 13, 2023, 12:15:24 PM »

I've found out something about a clematis this morning: which is rambling up and over a fence - but very weak at the root.  I needed to cut it back every Autumn but it's been difficult to reach ....... it's now climbing through an almond tree until September when I will cut it back to the ground and feed it properly.  In the mean time I have 7 pieces to 'root' ...... hopefully some will 'take'.

Pulled out ice plants from around the base of that almond to allow more air to the tree.  Compost is growing slowly  ;)  8)
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 56