Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 202007 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #660 on: April 14, 2022, 08:58:50 AM »

When we were students we made wine, I sat in the sunshine for 2 days pulling dandelion petals off the flowers into a bucket.  Not really green to make it at home these days: sterilising the glass bottles, buying corks which are imported, using boiling water to 'start' the process, adding sugar .........  ;D.  When we moved in 1981 the robin was a little tiddly: rather than load the wine onto the van we tasted and threw first, onto the lawn  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #661 on: April 15, 2022, 07:29:40 AM »

Nope.  There was a bare patch of Earth so we had somewhere that soaked away.   Everywhere looks bright this morning :-) Spring like.

CLKD

« Reply #662 on: April 19, 2022, 08:10:54 AM »

Well everything grows  8) as well as most pot plants requiring a Very Good Soak with the hose.

New shrubs pushing up daily.  Almost time to plant the sweet peas ............ another week under shelter, I will nip the tips out today to encourage side shoots.  Pond needs clearing of duck weed and petals.  It's All Go  :-*

CLKD

« Reply #663 on: April 23, 2022, 09:14:31 AM »

The camellia in a pot - 3rd year - looks sick.  It has a 'mould' growing up the stem from the earth, I will be pulling it out later, disposing of the soil and starting again.  Apparently the plant may be too wet  :-\ and it hasn't flowered since the week I bought it.

CLKD

« Reply #664 on: June 27, 2022, 10:11:34 AM »

Morning.  For 4 days DH has picked raspberries, red currants, tay and straw berries; sweet peas for a vase.  I've pruned back and picked roses for the house.   8)

CLKD

« Reply #665 on: June 29, 2022, 11:35:55 AM »

I've been weeding.  Many years ago I planted a small patch of rabbits ears grass which has spread  >:(.

It's warm but I carried on.  Everything is lush; picking fruit ++

The freshly picked sweet peas are scenting the whole house  :o
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 04:31:18 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #666 on: June 30, 2022, 08:07:18 AM »

Our parsnips haven't germinated well.  I think they are over whelmed by other plants so haven't got enough sun  ::)

Julila

• First Flush
« Reply #667 on: July 08, 2022, 02:21:18 AM »

Ladies, your gardening successes are awesome! I'm actually new at gardening, we've just moved in a new house and I want to grow some veggies for my family. To be more specific - we love potato, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrot, radish, brussels. Do I need a greenhouse for seedling these veggies? How do you get sprouts - is it OK to use these grow bags for that purposes? Thank you in advance, wish you good crop!

CLKD

« Reply #668 on: July 08, 2022, 07:37:16 AM »

Hi welcome to the wonderful world of gardening.  1 has to accept that odd non germination or the fact that some plants won't like your soil.  If the plot is over hung with trees from a road side - as ours is - one has to plant with light in mind otherwise they go leggy towards the sun  ::)

Find a proper garden centre - take along a list of what you would like to grow and ask.  If U have time, read the backs of seed packets.  Grow what you will eat for the 1st 3 years, after which you will know your soil, how much sunshine you get - then it's time to experiment.

Gardening club - a good idea. Or your local WI, many will be gardening on a regular basis.  Some garden centres run 'how to' sessions. 

Raising from seed is the cheapest way to begin.  A greenhouse needs shade from direct sunshine, an automatic vent to air the area and plants will need watering.  That's early morning or at dusk.

If possible install water catchment barrels from the guttering. 

CLKD

« Reply #669 on: July 08, 2022, 09:05:13 AM »

The larger the pots the better.  A good watering of a big pot goes further especially if you stand them into a 'catcher'.  I use either liquid or slow release pellet fertiliser when I remember  ::)

You may find lots of books in charity shops. 

We don't grow brassicas due to caterpillars, also the parsnips didn't germinate this year and carrots are prone to 'fly' - this insect keeps to a certain height from the ground, targeting the root of carrots.  it can be avoided by covering with netting or planting in a raised bed but quite frankly, they are cheap enough to buy.  As R potatoes as they take up a lot of ground and need regular watering.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #670 on: July 08, 2022, 07:54:23 PM »

Last summer I planted some Echium. They were about 18” tall then. they are now about 5ft.  The leaves are enormous and they look really healthy.  No sign of flowers.  i saw some growing elsewhere today with their several feet of tiny blue flowers rising up from the leaves.  When will mine flower?

CLKD

« Reply #671 on: July 08, 2022, 07:59:37 PM »

R they really tall flowers which are successfully on the Isles of Scilly?  Deep purple/blue flowers from the bottom to the top of the stem?  Bees love 'em. 

I did a quick search on the RHS site - lots of info there.  I may give. 'em a go next year!

C.C.

« Reply #672 on: July 12, 2022, 01:45:43 PM »

So I re-jigged my front garden by making it narrower. I bought 3 rolls of sod to fill in the bare areas. Little did I think about the local wildlife. The day after we laid the sod, I looked out the window the next morning and some little dickens had rolled over 2 out of 3 rolls, looking for grubs and worms.  We replaced the rolls and I put down garlic powder to deter the skunk/raccoon.  It didn't work...rained that night. lol.  I found some light plastic netting and pegs at the dollar store, laid the netting over the new sod, pulled it tight and secured it with the pegs. It sort of worked, so I added moth balls along the edges.  This morning it looked like the sod was untouched...keeping fingers crossed lol.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #673 on: July 12, 2022, 07:36:10 PM »

R they really tall flowers which are successfully on the Isles of Scilly?  Deep purple/blue flowers from the bottom to the top of the stem?  Bees love 'em. 

I did a quick search on the RHS site - lots of info there.  I may give. 'em a go next year!

Yes. They fascinate me.  They originate from the Canary Islands.  I am hoping they will flower next year. Fingers crossed.

CLKD

« Reply #674 on: July 12, 2022, 08:41:04 PM »

I haven't seen them growing for sale but will keep an eye out PF.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 56