Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 202038 times)

Lanzalover

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #480 on: January 25, 2020, 06:48:04 PM »

Grubby at the moment lots of work to do but really looking forward to it.

Lanzalover x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #481 on: January 25, 2020, 07:57:56 PM »

Oh - you want any help, gardening energises me  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #482 on: January 28, 2020, 01:16:11 PM »

Hellebores.  Snowdrops.  The hyacinth bulbs that I set 4 weeks ago haven't moved ....... mayB they can feel colder weather on it's way  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #483 on: February 06, 2020, 03:28:11 PM »

WEEDS  ;D - rain and then sunshine makes 'em grow.

Been on my knees for 2 hours getting up plants that I don't want 'there'.  Listening to the birds.  Finding worms for the robin. 

Hyacinths still not moving.  Hellebores doing well.  Wall flowers sulking :-(. 

CLKD

« Reply #484 on: March 18, 2020, 10:16:59 PM »

Snowdrops are over.  Daffs out.  Small red blossom opening on the upright honeysuckle opposite the kitchen window  :) and 3 clematis have flower buds on.  Can't wait for warmer weather so I can get stuck in, though yesterday I fell forwards whilst weeding and hurt wrist and shoulder  :(.  I was kneeling at the time  ::), grabbed a root and it didn't pull as easily as I thought it might do!

Hyacinths now flowering :-).

Barnacle

« Reply #485 on: March 18, 2020, 10:35:14 PM »

I noticed some blossom on one of my peach trees today.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #486 on: March 19, 2020, 07:47:19 AM »

:-* oh must check our plum  :)

Jari

« Reply #487 on: March 19, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »

Barnacle, I have 4 peach seedlings that I have grown from seed. Did you grow yours from seed? Do you think it would be ok to move them into individual pots to start them off? Do they grow like actual trees, like apple tree size?

CLKD

« Reply #488 on: March 19, 2020, 08:29:55 PM »

How tall are they, do they have branches/leaves yet?  What medium are they growing in.

Peaches are mediterraeon [never been abroad, me  ;D] so need shelter.  They don't tolerate frost or cold.  Not the time to put seedlings outside.

I use the 'coir'-type pots or rolled newspaper or toilet roll inners for seeds - making sure that the roots don't get broken eventually you could put one in each pot of your choice.  The above will rot into the ground so no need to re-move.  They would however probably prefer to be in a pot on a sheltered patio that can be moved inside in the Autumn. 

Our plum has blossom :-). 

Taz2

« Reply #489 on: March 20, 2020, 07:09:28 AM »

Barnacle, I have 4 peach seedlings that I have grown from seed. Did you grow yours from seed? Do you think it would be ok to move them into individual pots to start them off? Do they grow like actual trees, like apple tree size?

Peach trees grow quite large like apple trees. My mum grew one from a pip and it was over 50 years old when she moved house so they are long lived. It was a lovely tree. Blossomed well each year but only had peaches twice due to peach trees needing really warm summers as CLKD has said.

Taz x  :)

Jari

« Reply #490 on: March 20, 2020, 10:54:51 AM »

Thanks for advice. I also have apple seedlings that I've grown from seed. About 20-30cm high currently. So, I should not plant these directly out?
At the moment they are in pots of 2 or 3. I was thinking maybe to put in bigger individual pots?
I had thought I would plant a couple of apple seedlings outside, but sounds like that is not a good idea for the time being?
I will put the peach in a pot and keep in sunroom for now? X

CLKD

« Reply #491 on: March 20, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »

Into slightly larger pots, probably for years depending on how fast they grow.  The apples may not fruit as the trees that we buy are grafted.  I have a self-set plum which put out 1 fruit last year, it has shot up towards the sky in the last couple of years and I expect it will fruit: right at the top  ;D

Barnacle

« Reply #492 on: March 20, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »

My Dad planted them in my garden about 20 years ago. Like Taz said, they grow like apple trees and do need to be in a sheltered position.You don't get that many each year, plus the birds love them.

CLKD

« Reply #493 on: March 20, 2020, 12:45:26 PM »

Birds loved our cherries too  :-X  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #494 on: March 20, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »

My broad bean seeds are just beginning to germinate in greenhouse, tomato seedlings fast growing on kitchen window sill, coriander peeping through.

Helllebores magnificent in front garden, forsythia been in bloom early this year - out for 2-3 weeks, forget-me-nots just coming into flower, fuschias in full flower in pots at the side of the house :o

If you're stuck at home - get thee some seeds, compost and a few pots and get sowing and planting!

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 56