Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 201969 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #405 on: June 22, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »

Everything is lush. I will have to put off digging until later as it's in a hot spot in the garden  ::)

Will have to put the hose round the pots this evening too  :-\

Foxylady

« Reply #406 on: June 22, 2019, 02:26:25 PM »

Been out weeding! My peas looking a bit forelorn too CLKD, think they are needing more sunshine & better temperatures.

CLKD

« Reply #407 on: June 22, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »

Do U have a composting system foxy?  Something has nobbled our runners over night  >:( .........

Sitting here with scents wafting across the garden: honeysuckle from one side, orange blossom the other.  I cut more roses for the house earlier, avoiding lady-bird larvae  :o of which we seem to have about 20 thus far.  I set the 5 campion plants during the afternoon and gave them a Very Good Watering.  Warm breeze is drying the pots already  :o  ::)

Foxylady

« Reply #408 on: June 23, 2019, 08:52:54 AM »

CLKD, yeh got three composting bins (various stages of decomposition). Used to grow alot of veggies, few flowers but since I changed job, working 9-5 mon-fri not got the same time to spend on it so it's flipped the other way more flowers, less veggies. It's apity cause I do find it relaxing & enjoyable but the Scottish weather is so unpredictable its not like I can get out every weekend or after work!

Sparrow

« Reply #409 on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »

Everything growing really well here, even in the 'peat free' compost.  This surprised my husband as when he tried it a few years back he was not impressed.  Apparently the peat stuff may be phased out as early as 2020.

CLKD

« Reply #410 on: June 23, 2019, 01:56:26 PM »

Shame that.  Until there is a good alternative provided - I saw pots for all kinds of seedlings/plants that are put into the ground so that they rot down in about 2 years, giving plants the chance to get a good root system going.

Krystal

« Reply #411 on: June 26, 2019, 06:54:00 PM »

I have two very productive strawberry plants this year due to all the rain we have had. The strawberries are flourishing, just one problem those sneaky slugs have taken to gobbling the fleshy inside of the strawberry from underneath, so when you go to pick one which looks OK from the top, you only have the outer skins left. I have never seen slugs do that before. Just before the heavens opened last week our grass was cut, scarified and given a feed of seaweed fertilizer, result grass nearly 12 inches long. Oh dear!

CLKD

« Reply #412 on: June 26, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »

that's what you probably need then: a deer ;-)

Slugs will go up underneath strawberries, what I hated in the Fens was picking what looked like a nice fruit to find a slug curled up inside  :sick02: .......  we used to put thick straw under the plants as they were fruiting up.  Have you got any straw?  A layer of slug pellets with straw on top ;-).

Not been into our garden for 2 days not even to feed the birds - wet yesterday and away today.

daska86

« Reply #413 on: June 29, 2019, 07:01:40 AM »

CLKD got tomatoes in one plastic greenhouse and cucumbers in another. Tomatoes are Ok but cucumbers very slow. Picking first peas and potatoes are flowering so should be getting some soon. I'd love to grow roses but they always get aphids or blackspot.

CLKD

« Reply #414 on: June 29, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »

There was never any blackspot B4 we had the Clean Air Act  ;)

We have blue-tits and still get greenfly.  White fly.  Blackfly but I don't think much eats the latter.  I ignore blackspot.  Cut more roses in the last couple of days.

Krystal

« Reply #415 on: July 06, 2019, 04:01:34 PM »

With regard to my strawberries being eaten from underneath, I do not have any straw to lie the plants on and have a conscience about slug pellets. I used to throw them in abundance until someone told me that even the bird friendly ones can make our feathered friends ill. I have bought a strawberry planter from Amazon and plan to use it for next years crop. The strawberries are still flourishing at the moment, but no cream teas for me as I cannot stand Wimbledon (owing to the fact that I could cannot play tennis very well).

The rain did the garden some good this morning, but I am regretting that hubby put that seaweed fertiliser on the grass the other week as it keeps growing at such a prolific rate. The compost bins are overflowing so residual grass cuttings are in black bags to rot down and them to be mixed with other composting matter.

The birds enjoy the water in the garden especially the bird bath. The cheeky pigeon drinks out of the water intended for the cats that visit.  It has been a good time for all in the garden.

Taz2

« Reply #416 on: July 06, 2019, 04:41:04 PM »

We have blue-tits and still get greenfly.  White fly.  Blackfly but I don't think much eats the latter.  I ignore blackspot.  Cut more roses in the last couple of days.

Blackfly are a huge part of a wasp grub diet which is why it's a shame they get such a bad press.

Taz x

Sparrow

« Reply #417 on: July 06, 2019, 04:58:50 PM »

With regard to my strawberries being eaten from underneath, I do not have any straw to lie the plants on and have a conscience about slug pellets. I used to throw them in abundance until someone told me that even the bird friendly ones can make our feathered friends ill. I have bought a strawberry planter from Amazon and plan to use it for next years crop. The strawberries are still flourishing at the moment, but no cream teas for me as I cannot stand Wimbledon (owing to the fact that I could cannot play tennis very well).

The rain did the garden some good this morning, but I am regretting that hubby put that seaweed fertiliser on the grass the other week as it keeps growing at such a prolific rate. The compost bins are overflowing so residual grass cuttings are in black bags to rot down and them to be mixed with other composting matter.

The birds enjoy the water in the garden especially the bird bath. The cheeky pigeon drinks out of the water intended for the cats that visit.  It has been a good time for all in the garden.

Hi, for next year get some straw from a pet shop. It's not very expensive and we find a bag last two years.  Also you can get slug pellets made from wool, which are non toxic. Don't ask me how they work though.  ???

CLKD

« Reply #418 on: July 06, 2019, 05:00:10 PM »

Slugs can't climb over them.  Apparently.  Being dry, wool works until it rains ;-).  I tried egg shells years ago but the blackbird pecked them away to see what was underneath  :(

katsclaws

« Reply #419 on: July 15, 2019, 03:53:35 PM »

We have grown two types of cauliflower this year. One type looks a bit like sprouting broccoli but is white. I did a google search and it's sold in one of the supermarkets at £12.50 per kg. I have not seen this type of cauliflower before. We had no idea when we bought the plants that it was a sprouting cauliflower
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 56