Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 202021 times)

Smalltownok

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #255 on: May 11, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »

Whereabouts in the world are you Smalltownok.
Your veggies sound really interesting.

Mrs Brown.

I am in Oklahoma  :)

;D. Now I have an ear worm  :D ....... 'wind comes rushing down the plain' ........

Great to hear about your gardening Smalltown - when you said about black-eyes peas, sort of gave it away.  What type of soil do you have, is your plot sheltered by walls, hedges, fences ......... do you share produce with neighbours, do you bottle/can lots for Autumn?

My garden is a fenced off section of the pasture.  We raise and sell cattle...  The soil is a dark rich brown, I'm sorry I'm not sure of the exact type.  No hedges or walls - just a barbed wire fence.  Our Jack Russell keeps all the critters away.  ;D

Just looked....I'm nosy lol.

Oklahoma......gosh bet it gets warm there.

Is canning....the same as bottling.

Oh and  :welcomemm:

Mrs Brown

I am not sure.  Canning is cutting up fruits and veggies (and other things) and processing them in either a water bath or by pressure canner.  I'm not sure exactly what bottling would be. :-)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #256 on: May 11, 2017, 04:29:57 PM »

>wave< - bottling is in glass - look up Kilner jars if you get a spare moment.  I remember Mum washing them with hot water then drying them and the rubber seals in the oven to sterilise. Then the prepared fruits/veg would be spooned into the bottles to be ket for later.

Had a few busy hours in the garden ........ took a hydrangeas from a pot into the garden ......... it's got 2 chances ;-)

Elizabethrose

« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »

Finally received my analysis from Wisley on my Trachelospermum - Honey Fungus!!!! >:( :cuss:

We've lost a number of shrubs in that bed and our lovely neighbour lost a pear tree from it last year. Now the battle commences!! We took out an ailing Viburnum Davidii and potted it up and already it's picking up. We planted in it's place a Mahonia Aquifolium and that's now dying a death too!

I think sarcococca are quite resistant so I think that may be a plan. Anyone have any hot tips. The bed is in the sun up until about 12, soil clay, plant ideally 3-4 ft high and wide. Pref evergreen! xx

CLKD

« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2017, 04:42:46 PM »

Does 1 have to dig lots of earth out to destroy any spores?  Maybe leave it barren for 12-18 months and keep turning the ground?  Did Wisley make any suggestions  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »

Have a look-see at the RHS site for 'honey fungus' - quite informative!

Elizabethrose

« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »

Yes they are brilliant. They have suggested digging in tons of well matured compost and keeping the area very moist in order to try to save the other shrubs and climbers there. They made some suggestions but for trees and shrubs that weren't suitable size wise so I need to do some homework.

We had a Schizophragma planted adjacent to the pear that succumbed and thought we'd lost it as it very suddenly dropped all it's leaves last year. I dug it out and put it in a massive pot and it's resurrected itself.

It's such a pain, especially in an area where there are lots of trees! x

CLKD

« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:45 PM »

Did they suggest removing affected soil though?  That would be my first job, to take off a layer of earth in that area - about 2-5" deep.  Then leave for a couple of months to see what happens under the remaining trees.  I don't know if there's a best time to buy well rotted?!? ...... is there any rush to re-plant?

Elizabethrose

« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »

No I thought that but they said it was unnecessary. (There's not a little symbol for shrugging of shoulders!!). If I'm honest CLKD, it would be exceptionally difficult anyway as we have four climbers, five shrubs and some perennials in that bed. The spores will probably be everywhere now anyway. Interestingly, the trachelospermum were either side of a large pergola with a gravel and granite set path in between and both died. They were next to clematises, roses and surrounded by mature shrubs.

I've decided not to replace the trachelospermum or any other climber in the same position but have to attend to another shrub that's dying in that bed. There is a particularly tricky spot!

dolphin63

« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »

Anyone able to recommend native plants that will do well by the coast.  Other half is making flower beds up at the Northumberland house and I'd like to have a native plants area (wild flowers) but not sure which plants would do well, green fingered I'm not sadly :( 

CLKD

« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2017, 10:18:48 PM »

Have a look-see what other gardens have in them and maybe search for a garden centre local to where the cottage is?  I am always amazed at what grows in Craster right on the harbour so perhaps a google map 'walk' round the village ?  Roses seem to thrive there and hydrangeas ........ lavenders.  Poppies. 

Wrensong

« Reply #265 on: May 17, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »

Brilliant suggestion about the Google map walk CLKD, would never have thought of that. :)

CLKD

« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »

I am nosy and love spending time on google maps having a look-see - first thing I do when friends move is to 'search'  ;D

Have done a 'walk' on Dunsterburgh Road directly next to the beach and can see alcamilla mollies [which spreads], roses, geraniums ......  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:41:53 AM by CLKD »

Hurdity

« Reply #267 on: May 17, 2017, 12:20:57 PM »

Anyone able to recommend native plants that will do well by the coast.  Other half is making flower beds up at the Northumberland house and I'd like to have a native plants area (wild flowers) but not sure which plants would do well, green fingered I'm not sadly :(

You asked about native flowers rather than garden ones, so I suggest you contact the local wildlife trust (Northumberland Wildlife Trust http://www.nwt.org.uk/ and peruse their website. There should be advice on wild gardens and seed mixtures and possibly a local supplier for native seeds local to the area. If not on the website I am sure there will be someone who works for them that could help if you contact through their website. :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2017, 03:09:24 PM »

Oh great idea !  we are a Mine of Info. on here  ;D

I want a view  :'(  :-\ ........

dolphin63

« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »

You asked about native flowers rather than garden ones, so I suggest you contact the local wildlife trust (Northumberland Wildlife Trust http://www.nwt.org.uk/ and peruse their website. There should be advice on wild gardens and seed mixtures and possibly a local supplier for native seeds local to the area. If not on the website I am sure there will be someone who works for them that could help if you contact through their website. :)

Hurdity x
[/quote]

Thanks, hadn't thought of contacting them
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 56