Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 202072 times)

Elizabethrose

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2017, 06:10:38 PM »

I love a project!  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2017, 06:10:57 PM »

So do I  ;D. ...........

bramble

« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2017, 06:11:01 PM »

Evelyn. A border only a foot and a half deep is a bit small for shrubs unless you can train them to the fence. You can get small shrubs such as euonymus, hebe and small azaleas and rhodies. You could train a ceanothus against the fence, climbing roses and loads of other climbers. You don't really want a row of little soldiers going along the border so I would think about widening it in places or at one end so you could have a group of plants or one decent sized shrub.

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2017, 06:12:03 PM »

I LOVE hebes - there are so many sizes and colours ........ wish I had more space here  ::)

Wrensong

« Reply #214 on: May 01, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »

Hello ladies, wondering if anyone can give me some advice.  Have today taken out of large terracotta pots two apple trees sold as suitable for growing in patio tubs and planted them into the ground in desperation.  They are on dwarf root stock & we have had them 2 years & followed planting & siting instructions, but they have never thrived.  They flower beautifully in spring, then each summer quickly succumb to greenfly to the extent they lose nearly all their leaves.  Have sprayed with an organic bug repellent, but the trees never really recover and produce small misshapen fruits that are inedible.  I wouldn't expect much of a crop so early in their lives, so am not worried about that, but I do want to protect them from deteriorating should greenfly target them again this year.  I try to keep on top of watering, but wondered whether in their sunny position they were being baked in their terracotta pots, but the advice was to plant in sun.  Unfortunately the only spot we had room to move them to is in shade a good part of the day, though this should prevent the roots being baked I suppose.  Any advice as to how I can keep them healthy in their new location please?

Mbrown001

« Reply #215 on: May 01, 2017, 07:42:11 PM »

We have had mixed luck with our dwarf fruit trees. I have an apple and a pear in very large terracotta pots. Our Apple flowered and fruited from the first year and has lovely blossom at the moment. Our pear struggles. Only once have we had blossom and then no fruit. This year the leaves are curling and are sticky....not all but a good few. I put on my glasses....always helps I find .... and discovered little bug things. The tree has been well sprayed but I still don't have any blossom.
Ours are on south facing walls.
In theory you should be able to grow fruit trees in a semi shaded position but they do best in full sun.

Give them a good feed and keep them well watered and they should be ok.

Mrs Brown

Wrensong

« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »

Mrs Brown, thanks for the thumbs up about the partial shade!  Fingers crossed.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2017, 07:57:11 PM »

Wrensong, I've never grown dwarf trees in pots but have a read of this re position and watering. If you can identify why they failed to thrive in the pots you may be able to introduce some changes now they're in the ground

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=321

Evelyn63

« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2017, 08:00:39 AM »

No problem at all Evelyn!  :) Few more questions; is the bed in sun, semi shade, shade? Is it sheltered? The bed is 1.5ft deep but is there an overhang, i.e. is it alongside a path or grass etc? x

Its beside a path and in full sun .  It is quite small now when I think about it but as its directly opposite the conservatory its the first thing you see when you look out !

Evelyn63

« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2017, 08:03:55 AM »

Evelyn. A border only a foot and a half deep is a bit small for shrubs unless you can train them to the fence. You can get small shrubs such as euonymus, hebe and small azaleas and rhodies. You could train a ceanothus against the fence, climbing roses and loads of other climbers. You don't really want a row of little soldiers going along the border so I would think about widening it in places or at one end so you could have a group of plants or one decent sized shrub.

Bramble

Thanks so much Bramble, lots of food for thought , Ive made a list and will have a look in the garden centre.  Really appreciate your time to reply.  Its great we have so much expertise on the forum  , I have never come across a more supportive site, everyone tries to help each other in all manner of ways.xx

Wrensong

« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »

Elizabeth Rose, thank you for that - very helpful, will have a read later as must rush off now!   :)

Elizabethrose

« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »

Evelyn have a peek at these, maybe something will take your fancy.

1.   Berberis thunbergii f. atropurpurea 'Helmond Pillar' brilliant plant, deep burgundy leaves, small yellow flowers in spring and abundant berries in winter, which the birds adore. Very spiky but has an upright habit and doesn't spread too much. Low maintenance and likes a sunny or partly sunny situation.

2.   Euonymus fortunei 'Silver Queen'.  We have one of these in a very narrow bed against a fence. It has trained itself width ways and sort of climbs up the fence but only in its habit it's not a climber.  Dense bushy habit with dark green evergreen leaves outlined with yellow in spring and white later on. Totally maintenance free. Sun or partial shade.

3.   Cistus x corbariensis. Lovely little compact plant covered in an abundance of white flowers in the summer. Forms a mound of greeny-bronze leaves. Will eventually spill out over the edges of bed. We had one under a bay window in a similar depth of bed and had to take it out after about 10 years as it became too wide. Easy maintenance likes full sun.

4.   Ceanothus thyrsiflorus var. repens This has deep green evergreen leaves and abundant brilliant blue flowers in late spring. We have this planted under a window and it pushes itself up the brick and has spread width ways along the wall. Again this has the potential to spread but small beds can contain it and ours has been there for 5 years + and it hangs over the path but has not outgrown its position yet. Totally maintenance free likes a sunny spot.

5.   Euonymus japonica 'Benkomasaki Erecta' which has a columnar habit and is a dense evergreen of long erect stems. We have just planted one of these, found it at Wisley. I love it. It has dense columns of evergreen leaves. Brilliant structural plant.

6.   There are a number of low growing hypericums, some semi evergreen. I'm desperately trying to remember the name of one we have planted that hubby calls the dinosaur plant as it has a very interesting leaf structure and habit. I'll let you know if I can find the variety.

All of the above are shrubs that are very low maintenance and can be trimmed as required. Most plants will outgrow narrow beds but can look fab overhanging, paths and gravel. If they outgrow the situ they can of course be replaced, but if you get 5-10 years out of them, that's fine.
We recently planted a narrow bed and interspersed the shrubs with 3 different varieties of fern;
Pteris cretica Albo Lineata, Asplenium scolopendrium Cristata and a Cyrtomium fortunei 'Clivicola
They look lovely, all three very different textures, colours and habits.

I sunk a rusted obelisk into one of our narrow beds and grow Clematis Fuji-Musume through it. Oh how I love it. It has blue flowers the size of your hand, is compact so perfect for obelisk growing and you get two show of flowers. The obelisk adds interest to a narrow border too.

We have a number of Dahlia Mystic Spirit which are perennial and are just growing through now. They have deep burgundy leaves and stems and an abundance of apricot flowers from July through to Oct/Nov. These are so easy, are bushy with an upright habit, don't need to be lifted I just feed them plenty of liquid feed once the foliage is growing.

Oh I'm envious, I love a gardening project. Have fun with it!! xx

Elizabethrose

« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2017, 12:30:27 PM »

Evelyn, this is our hypericum, Hypericum androsaemum. See the Australian link below which shows photos of it's stages through the annual growing cycle.

https://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/weeds/data/media/Html/hypericum_androsaemum.htm

It's pretty amazing in that it can have all stages of growth on it at the same time i.e., new acid yellow leaves, red tinged leaves, and dark green leaves, flower buds, flowers, green, red and black berries. It's semi-evergreen and some times in spring it starts looking a little tatty and I just prune it hard and new shoots spring through the soil almost immediately. It's such good value and always interesting! At the moment, after a hard spring prune it's just an abundance of acid yellow foliage swaying in the breeze. xx

Here's another compact one too, Hypericum x inodorum 'Magical Red'
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:36:40 PM by Elizabethrose »

CLKD

« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »

Ask at a Garden Centre, if possible the one from where you sourced the 'patio' fruit trees.  They need lots of watering if in pots as blustery wind and terracotta can soon dry them out.  Pruning may be an issue too so seek advice at a good fruit tree centre - can be found on line.

I've been to the garden centre this morning  :whist:

Elizabethrose

« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2017, 09:53:27 PM »

Has anyone got rid of their lawn or greatly reduced it's size since the kids have grown or flown? I'm thinking of making some design changes to our back garden, prompted really by the nightmare that is the garden developing besides us now.

We have a long skinny Victorian garden (no garages for obvious reasons) which we have visually divided into circular areas. The centre two fifths are lawn, again in a large circle that's edges would slip the boundaries of the adjoining gardens, if there were no fences there. It creates an optical illusion that the garden is very much wider than it is.

We have many mature shrubs and climbers in beds around the circles with trees at the back in the section that is totally screened off from view and where we keep the compost bins, sheds etc.

Anyone not have a lawn anymore?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 56