Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 202065 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »

I moved mine in the Autumn after 5 years of it growing amongst other climbers: a) I couldn't see it and b) it never flowered. It's now racing away, root in the shade, climbing towards the sun.   The wisteria however  >:( - grown in a deep pot hasn't flowered in 4 years >sigh<

ariadne

« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2017, 06:32:58 PM »

Hmmm maybe that's the problem then as mine is also amongst other climbers.

My husband is hankering after a wisteria but although I love them, I wouldn't like to wait years for the flowers. I read that you should buy one in flower to avoid this but are they ever sold like that?

Ariadne xx

Elizabethrose

« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »

Ariadne, we bought quite a mature wisteria, very unusual, sorry can't remember the variety off the top of my head, but it's white and the flowers erupt before the leaves grow. Essentially, it is covered in pure white flowers and then when they start to fade the leaves quickly replace them.

Ours flowered the first year it was planted but it was quite tall. I suspect you can buy with flowers on, now would be the time to check. Why don't you call a garden centre and ask them. x

ariadne

« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2017, 07:09:38 PM »

I like the white ones Elizabethrose, bit different to the usual lilac colour. I'll have a look in my local garden centre just up the road.

Thank you  :thankyou:

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2017, 07:12:54 PM »

One buys wisteria in flower usually, they are grafted so don't take as long to flower.  They do need specific pruning, twice a year; immediately after flowering and again in late Jan./early Feb..  It hasn't made any flowers again this year  >:( - it will get a telling off!  There are now various colourations and some are scented: the Cotswolds is the place to be now as they are all out!

Elizabethrose

« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »

Ariadne, have a read of this;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9288012/Wonderful-wisteria.html

Ours is an early flowering one, it's just finishing now, whereas all the blue ones in the neighbourhood are just kicking off. Sorry I can't remember which variety it is. Have a look too at the RHS site, they list the varieties that they'd recommend. x

I do love them CLKD, so beautiful! x

CLKD

« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2017, 07:20:02 PM »

Like Cathedrals, I love following where wisteria are growing, there's a huge one in Banbury and several around the Morteon in Marsh area. 

ariadne

« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »

Ariadne, have a read of this;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9288012/Wonderful-wisteria.html

Oh I had just read that article Elizabethrose, then I saw your post 😊 Ive googled a few and I like the sound of Shiro Kapitan.

Ariadne xx

Elizabethrose

« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »

I've just looked at it and it's a stunner. Good luck x

ariadne

« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »

:thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »

Off to the garden centre tomorrow then  ;D - the garden is so dry, my barrels are empty, I'm having to use the hose on potted plants and those newly set  :-\

Evelyn63

« Reply #206 on: May 01, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »

Elizabeth Rose, sincere apologies , you asked me the dimensions of my border and I thought I had replied, so sorry.  Anyway it's approx  1 1/2 feet deep and 15 feet long.  I just need some ideas of what to put in.  I think after some discussion we might be better off with shrubs or plants that are permanent rather than keeping putting in different ones each times, I love camellia bushes and rhodenederrons but don't know if they would suit a border.  I will put up my hands and say I am hopeless when it comes to this type of thing.  I love and admire other people's gardens but haven't a clue when it comes to my own.  We have some laurels where we took out the first lot of Leylandia at the other side and they have done well ( despite me !) but that is a much longer border and suits them better.  Thank you .

CLKD

« Reply #207 on: May 01, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »

That's narrow and long then.  In mine [30 feet long] I have : a Winter flowering honeysuckle; a sweet smelling 'Daphne' which is out from mid-Feb. to now and attracts bees; an almond, a silver birch and a rowan; Berberis are nice too as they have lovely flowers followed by berries in the Autumn.  Hawthorn/may blossom is lovely and again, birds like the berries. 

Camellia need to be grown where the flowers don't get early morning sunshine the idea being that flowers that have frozen in the night will brown and fall off without opening unless allowed to open once it's warmer.  They as well as rhods require ericaceous soil as they usually live in the Hymalaya which is high up and peaty.  Mine single camellia is on the West side of our property and gets quite late Spring sun so has flowered well for several years.  I top it up with ericaceous compost several times a year and it requires watering from the barrel and not the tap. 

Have a look-see in the neighbours' gardens?  Is there a gardening club in your area or a good garden centre.  My go-to web-site is Buckingham Garden Centre as the Company still grow their own, we went there years++ ago and I was impressed. I still get their e-mail newsletter. Sarah Raven has a good site too.   There are other Companies that sell 'whips' for UK hedging which might be another idea interspaced with fruit trees ....... Evenlyn I'll spend your money for you  ;)  ;D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #208 on: May 01, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »

No problem at all Evelyn!  :) Few more questions; is the bed in sun, semi shade, shade? Is it sheltered? The bed is 1.5ft deep but is there an overhang, i.e. is it alongside a path or grass etc? x

CLKD

« Reply #209 on: May 01, 2017, 06:09:48 PM »

We need to go over Elizabethrose ;-)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 56