Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 201692 times)

Minusminnie

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #780 on: September 03, 2023, 03:23:06 PM »

I’m waiting on Akron & Beefsteak outdoor tomatoes to ripen.  Hot weather this week will help. A few that are beginning to turn have ripened in the cupboard.

Runner beans pretty much done now. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 03:29:38 PM by Minusminnie »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #781 on: September 03, 2023, 04:49:59 PM »

Tomatoes across the UK are having problems with non-ripening tomatoes, apparently due to lack of sunshine.

CLKD

« Reply #782 on: September 12, 2023, 06:09:52 PM »

Roses having a 3rd flush; last of the runners 2 pick; tall [5ft] evening primroses; late flowering clematis which attracts insects, though it's a thug and each year I threaten to pull it out.  Astrantia need repotting. 

CLKD

Monty Don!
« Reply #783 on: September 15, 2023, 07:23:01 PM »

These gardeners with their large plots and posh houses go on like we've all got space to store plants, have 3/4 greenhouses and/or cold frames  >:(.  I did stop watching for a while ..... they don't live in the real World  :-\. Like we have space to have pots of plants ready to go in 'elsewhere' whilst we rejig the borders.  I would love more space, however.

The walnut here as outgrown it's space so that will come down to be recycled in various ways, once the leaves have fallen, which will go into the compost.  MayB we can then put a growing roof onto the shed which will get more ☀️. 

CLKD

« Reply #784 on: September 16, 2023, 11:57:59 AM »

I have had great plans for one border currently in the shade, which has a rowan tree, almond and silver birch in - I had intended to dig into the area to plant a rose  ::) but it's a non starter due to thick roots .  Well watered this morning, mulched, ready to throw hollyhock and poppy seeds there. 

Now that the sun has moved round we've come inside for a light lunch.  Archery from the Invictus Games to watch  8).

CLKD

« Reply #785 on: September 29, 2023, 01:53:49 PM »

I've planted a wiegelia this afternoon, 24" tall with bronze/maroon leaves, a fiver in the garden centre  8).  Put some cyclamen around it.  Backed into a nettle  :o :( ...... I'll get my own back on that 1!

CLKD

« Reply #786 on: October 02, 2023, 11:49:45 AM »

I've decided to grub out a lot of plants, i.e. pulmonaria.  So that I can get to the shrubs easier for pruning and weeding.  Potted up plants into large tubs which morning, began moving the tender geraniums inside. 

Minusminnie

« Reply #787 on: October 03, 2023, 06:16:59 AM »

I recently halved a clump of Bergenia that had spread too much.  Not much in the way of weeds under that and it can take a bit of trampling on.

Two asters out in bright colours.  Have collected Runner and French climbing bean seed.  Also some Love in a Mist in case that doesn't self seed.  Honeywort still to do.

CLKD

« Reply #788 on: October 03, 2023, 07:57:09 AM »

What's honeywort?

LoveinaMist spreads in the gravel  ::) occasionally in white and pink  8)

CLKD

« Reply #789 on: October 03, 2023, 12:12:31 PM »

Cobwebs, all the way up the garden  :o

Minusminnie

« Reply #790 on: October 03, 2023, 02:02:50 PM »

What's honeywort?

Otherwise known as Cerinthe. A new one for me when i picked up a tray of seedlings at local plant sale.  The bees really love it.  I've seen it in environmental /bee friendly flower beds about these parts too.

CLKD

« Reply #791 on: October 03, 2023, 02:04:01 PM »

Ahhh - purple flowers?  On long stems?

Pulled up plants, could hear the seeds popping every where  :o -  Can't remember the name, of course.  Pink and white and grow in hedgerows. 

Minusminnie

« Reply #792 on: October 03, 2023, 02:18:43 PM »

Ahhh - purple flowers?  On long stems?

Pulled up plants, could hear the seeds popping every where  :o -  Can't remember the name, of course.  Pink and white and grow in hedgerows. 

Campions

CLKD

« Reply #793 on: October 03, 2023, 03:25:42 PM »

:bouncing:  you've been looking over my hedge  ;D

Minusminnie

« Reply #794 on: October 04, 2023, 06:29:09 AM »

Anyone thinking of getting a water butt for the garden just a heads up to check first to see if your local Water Authority have an offer for a free one that you might want.

As luck would have it when i looked on our water authority website they were offering one at that time.  Yesterday i had an email from the company that delivered it.  The kit they sent us butt, lid, stand, diverter etc to buy would have been £70. 
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 56