Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 201825 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #615 on: July 13, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »

:medal: :hapij:

CLKD

« Reply #616 on: September 10, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »

The Discovery apple tree has gone along with 2 very old roses.  That area will be topped up with soil improver and left fallow over Winter.  We may put a couple of rows of peas there next year.  The plum in the other border has silver leaf so will be hoiked out, again the ground will be topped up and left.  The walnut tree requires a Very Hard Pruning, as does the almond tree.  It's drizzling.  Hard.  So it won't be today ;-)

How's it going Jellyb?

C.C.

« Reply #617 on: September 12, 2021, 01:12:06 PM »

Now is the time when my lilacs and peonies are showing signs of powdery mildew. I spent the morning yesterday spraying them with antifungal sulphur.  I had to cut the Ninebark all way down because it was practically all white, the spray doesn't seem to do much anymore.

CLKD

« Reply #618 on: September 12, 2021, 04:26:05 PM »

Mildew is a sign of a plant under stress.  Usually due to too much or not enough water/feed at the correct time.  Our 🎃 leaves are mildewed.  DH cut a lot back, the fruits are fine.  I note that our clematis this year have it, never previously.  Although they like a lot of rain, I think it was too much at the wrong time!  I will cut them back to the ground eventually but they are still flowering  ::)

I removed several shrubs from pots and planted into the border yesterday :-))).  8)

VictoryV

« Reply #619 on: September 17, 2021, 01:16:17 PM »

I’ve got a mountain of hard gardening this autumn which start with trying to control a Kiwi vine which has reached about 60 feet up a Beech. I regret planting it as it’s as vigorous as Russian Vine which I also have the pleasure of. Then there’s the Ground Elder which I’m trying to fall in love with as I certainly can’t control it! Then the leaking pond whilst trying to protect newts.
I sometimes dream of living in an apartment!

CLKD

« Reply #620 on: September 17, 2021, 02:36:15 PM »

;D

Start on the pond.  After going 'cheap' , 5 years ago we emptied the water, mud and found stones/pots/bricks at the bottom.  Put the fish into a large tank, set the frogs free.  Took out the old liner.  Mud has a characteristic smell  ;D.  Sand.  Newspaper .  Thick double butyl liner.  Water poured back slowly, everything else replaced.  Job Done.  I was surprised at the different colours that frogs come in.

Does the kiwi live in the Winter, does it shed it's leaves; usually easier to remove trees, shrubs etc. in the dormant state so that 1 can see where 1 is cutting.  Do you use a shredder? 

I love Russian Vine but it's another thug! 

VictoryV

« Reply #621 on: September 20, 2021, 01:15:29 PM »

Hi CLKD, before the pond work starts I need to remove a large area of bamboo which is the cause of the pond damage, thankfully I’m on sand so it’s a little easier to dig.
The Kiwi will die back but it’s impossible to untangle the vines at height. I will cut it at around the 6 feet mark and what’s above will eventually drop off. I planted it to create a “room” in the garden which it’s certainly done although it’s now trying to build a 15 storey high rise block!
Russian Vine has it’s uses but it’s hard to control. The ‘garden’ is looking very tropical and needs a lot of time, it will never be formal!

I think there may be a snake in the pond as the fish have gone and something big is disturbing the silt!

CLKD

« Reply #622 on: September 20, 2021, 04:24:34 PM »

Where do you live  :o so that I can run the other way ....... I don't do snakes.

Been busy in the pond today: split an iris into about 6 pieces it's a pale lilac when in flower.  It had spread to the edges of the pot so the middle was empty, it's been sorted now. 

Chopped the plum tree into the council bin, apart from the stump which needs digging out.  Fed pond fish.  Sat in the ☀️

CLKD

« Reply #623 on: September 27, 2021, 02:01:00 PM »

I have cyclamen: which means that I need to trim back; hard; a couple of climbers so that the light gets through
Clematis which is a thug has pale lilac flowers which attract insects from now until November  8)

CLKD

« Reply #624 on: October 01, 2021, 05:10:28 PM »

Nowt done today due to April showers  ::) other than nipping to and back to the compost with rubbish.   

Squirrel was chased off earlier whilst attempting getting hazel nuts  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #625 on: October 05, 2021, 02:58:49 PM »

DH picked the marrow: 6lb :  :o

DH chased the squirrel. Again  >:(

Roses, dahlias and a thug of a clematis in flower for the insects  8)

Taz2

« Reply #626 on: October 05, 2021, 07:22:48 PM »

My passion flower is still flowering and dropping it's fruit all over the doorstep. It's grown a "fringe" this year in front of the door rather than growing along the guttering and up over the roof. I keep waiting for a good time to trim it a bit. Being under five foot tall it doesn't bother me but everyone else has to duck under the "fringe"  ;D

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #627 on: October 05, 2021, 07:44:21 PM »

i bought two trays of cyclamen today … pink and white.  I have a trough on my parents grave and it looked lovely with begonias in it and then muntjacs came and ate all the flower heads. I hope they don’t like cyclamen.

I bought two echius plants (sp?) in the summer and they are growing like mad.  My hollyhocks, buddlea and golden rod have all been cut down now but my ice plants are out a lovely shade of red.

Taz2

« Reply #628 on: October 05, 2021, 07:55:38 PM »

I love the autumn colours. My buddleia stays up all winter as a food plant/insect hideout and I cut it back in February. It's still flowering at the moment but watching the blue tits, great tits, robins and sparrows foraging amongst the dead flower heads each morning sets me up for the day. It does look untidy though. My small garden looks like a forest this year having decided to let everything have its rambly way.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #629 on: October 05, 2021, 08:22:37 PM »

DH hates budleah  ;D.  Occasionally I find ladybirds sleeping in the dead flowers ........... all cut back this year and will get a hack back in the Spring as they are outgrowing their place.  I have a white with tiny yellow centres; a deep purple and the usual purple.  I would have more if I had space  ;)

I had forgotten my ice plants.  I have a small white but the flowers haven't opened  :-\, as well as the usual deep red which need the Chelsea chop next year!

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 56