Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 201422 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #570 on: October 12, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »

I saw hibicos growing in Bergerac, S France in the 1980s.  Some people grow them in parts of England and leave them out.  How about looking at the Kew Garden web-site to see if it says, also, try RHS Web-site.  Or 'hibicius growing' to see if your area pops up?

We were busy this morning but it drizzled again  >:(.  Not cold but DH was sawing wood and I have transplated a shrub.  I need the space for a wisteria and the shrub is getting woody, it's got two chances.  No opportunity of putting the Spring bulbs in yet.  No real rush but I would like to get them set .........

C.C.

« Reply #571 on: October 13, 2020, 12:34:08 PM »

If I had the hardy type like a Rose of Sharon, I can leave that out all winter. I'll check out my region's horticultural resources and see what is recommended. I would think pruning in the spring would encourage fuller growth once they're back outside in the warmth and sun.

CLKD

« Reply #572 on: October 13, 2020, 12:52:47 PM »

You can have our Rose of Sharon she spreads everywhere  >:(  ;D

C.C.

« Reply #573 on: October 13, 2020, 01:29:02 PM »

lol, no thanks. ;D I had one growning on the side of my porch and had to take it out a few years ago.  It was causing the railing wood behind it to rot over time. It blocked the sun and wouldn't allow the wood to dry out.

I'm going to attempt the hibiscus transplant this afternoon.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #574 on: October 13, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »

Mind your back  :o

C.C.

« Reply #575 on: October 14, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »

It turned out ok, the pots weren't that heavy  :).  They seemed to have not been bothered by the transplant at all, both are flowering this morning.  Actually, the bush that has yellow flowers, the blooms have now changed to a lovely reddish orange colour! Who knew? lol
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:27:53 PM by C.C. »

CLKD

« Reply #576 on: October 14, 2020, 12:50:27 PM »

Oh well done, did you 'tease' the roots? 

I did some cutting back earlier. 

C.C.

« Reply #577 on: October 14, 2020, 01:29:34 PM »

Yep, roots were teased, and not that pot bound either. I also watered, fertilized and mulched. That should keep them going through the next 7 or 8 months.

CLKD

« Reply #578 on: October 14, 2020, 01:41:32 PM »

:medal:

C.C.

« Reply #579 on: October 16, 2020, 12:35:41 PM »

Now that they've been inside for a few days I've discovered the blooms aren't falling off after one day, they seem to be staying put! 

CLKD

« Reply #580 on: October 16, 2020, 03:16:58 PM »

How lovely :-).  Any colour at this time of year is a bonus.

CLKD

« Reply #581 on: November 07, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »

I've watched a flock of starlings in the neighbours' rowan tree, amongst them was a greater spotted woodpecker  :-*. Usually they are flighty but when the starlings flew away it stayed around, searching through the bark  8)

A row of pink roses in full flower that I can see from the kitchen window :-).  Autumnal colours are FabULUS.

CLKD

« Reply #582 on: November 17, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »

The blustery wind has brought down leaves everywhere  :o we are surrounded by trees, have roses and shrubs plus a large walnut tree in our garden  ;D.  Sweeping them up on2 the compost is better than going to the Gym  :D

CLKD

« Reply #583 on: November 28, 2020, 04:23:41 PM »

2 years ago I planted a small shrub which should flower November-March - it has two branches of tiny pink flowers in bud  :-*

CLKD

« Reply #584 on: November 29, 2020, 06:44:18 PM »

Country File are leading a tree planting campaign.  OK until something like HS2 is driven through  >:(.  We have anceint woodlands that are being decimated!!!

In our garden we have: 1 Discovery apple over 11 years old; 1 very large walnut, 5 years old; 2 crab apples planted 4 the waxwings 2 find in cold weather; a plum 7 years old; 1 plum 5 years old; 1 almond; 1 rowan; 1 silver birch all 3 years old.   2 spindle, 1 which has fruit this year, the other is sulking.  Colours are lovely though.

Curly hazel nut which has lights woven through, switched on in December - over 25 years old and has grown TALL  ;D and has catkins which turn into nuts which DH makes into brittle  :-*

Yew tree.  Holly tree which is full of berries :-) and looks FabULUS  :-*.   Both rescued in 1978 into small pots and grown on.

A small tree which flowers at this time of year through to March. There's a quince which creeps under the fence from the neighbours' ;-)

Behind the fence there is a corridor owned by the Council mainly maple and cherries.   

We have winter flowering shrubs i.e. honeysuckle and clematis.  Heathers are beginning to open.  Ivy along the fences but some will be pulled off when we renew 1 fence. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:26:01 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56