Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 56

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 201004 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All things gardening
« Reply #420 on: July 17, 2019, 01:33:55 PM »

Is it a romain? all knobs and tight 'curds' - it'll eat, whatever ........ raw or boiled lightly?

Picking soft fruits, peas and broad beans
Runners still sulking  >:(
Roses - stunning
No one to share it with other than each other  :'(

katsclaws

« Reply #421 on: July 17, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »

Hello CLKD, no it looks just like broccoli. It is possible to get white broccoli but it's definitely  sweet sprouting cauliflower. It's used in chinese cookery and has a sweet taste. I'm cooking some tonight.
Your garden sounds lovely CLKD.

CLKD

« Reply #422 on: July 17, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »

:thankyou:  it is lovely.  I wish I could share it ........

CLKD

« Reply #423 on: July 17, 2019, 02:52:38 PM »

I like greens raw ......... got myself round some freshly picked peas about 20 mins. ago, pods will go into the compost.

CLKD

« Reply #424 on: July 21, 2019, 11:16:38 AM »

To encourage Local Councils to grow more wild flowers in verges there is an on-line petition hosted by 'plantlike'.  I signed earlier ;-)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #425 on: July 21, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »

I tied up my hollyhocks this morning, they are massive.  the other day I had just a huge red one and a couple of flesh coloured ones.  We had a good downpour yesterday and this morning I woke up to pale pink ones, dark pink and also some bright yellow.  They look gorgeous. When we sold Mum's house I found boxes of hollyhock and poppy seeds and have scattered them all over our garden.  Still loads in tins for another year.

I also picked loads of parsley and put it in the freezer and dead headed my yellow climbing rose.

CLKD

« Reply #426 on: July 21, 2019, 12:03:28 PM »

We don't like parsley  ::)

Can't grow hollyhocks here, the garden is surrounded by trees.  Mum's garden however is full although they have rust.  Colours are great, aren't they!

jaycee

« Reply #427 on: July 21, 2019, 04:29:56 PM »

I have hollyhocks and i am surrounded by trees, so not sure why the wont grow in your garden,CLKD ,mine are just beginning to bloom,
I have some lovely roses too, and a lavatera which has spread all over one corner,
My two Buddleas are lovely purplish pink on one and very pink on the othe, which actually collapsed last year, but is still blooming laid on the ground
I have two rowan trees full of red berries,which the birds seem to love,
This is in my back garden,
Lots of roses in thr front garden, and a very large and high bush rose, peonies have bloomed and gone,they dont last long, a massive pink hydrangea in one corner
I didn't plan it this way, but everything in the garden ,back and front is pink, apart from a couple of lovely peach ,and cream rose bushes  :)

CLKD

« Reply #428 on: July 21, 2019, 05:03:03 PM »

I tend to shove plants into gaps  ;D.  They take about 5 years to settle as we are on clay.  Once settled they are OK.

Phloxs are in flower now.  I need to get some more but as we are having some building work done in the next couple of years, they will stay put for now.  Hellebores have self-seeded  :-*.  Poppies fell in the rain  >:( .........

I have a white budleaj with tiny lemon centres, the purple one has long flowers on and smells this year - it's black jack.  I cut them back in the Spring and the bounce back.  Another here is a paler purple, attracting hover-flies.  They take really well if stuck into the ground.

I have a rowan yet to fruit this year though the neighbours' has - the almond tree needs to come down by about half already  :o.  Waxwings love rowans and small apples ..........

I found two small hydrangeas, buried in the shrubbery this week  ::) so cut back round so that they get more sunshine and rain.  The blue one in a pot is vivid.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #429 on: July 21, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »

My garden is walled and completely private as we are not overlooked.  It is lovely and quiet as we are beside a churchyard.

We have a good sized oval lawn with natural stone paving all around. We have chairs in one corner with a birdbath and loads of tall shrubs.  In the other corner we have table and four chairs and more pots of large plants.  In the third corner we have my beloved summerhouse which is a soft green colour.

There is no fourth corner as the garden then goes off behind the house where we have a large bike shed, son's DIY shed and a potting shed.  We also have a store for sun loungers, cushions etc. And we keep the garden bin round there.  Hubby got as far as putting up lovely fencing to screen these sheds from the main garden, all he has to do now is put up a gate and its completely done.

My garden is easy to maintain as I have packed the raised borders now so hardly any weeding.  I have a large silver birch, buddlea, hollyhocks, peace lilies, foxgloves, ceanothus, flowering currant and too many shrubs to name.  We have cotoneaster, honeysuckle and climbing roses up the garden walls.  i have passionflowers and honeysuckle growing up trellis either side of the patio doors.  the doors are about 12 wide and can be slid opened either side.  I have a rocking seat just outside there.  the garden faces south west and we get the sun all day until it goes down in the evening.  i nearly forgot .... I have countless pots with geraniums, white daisies, strawberries, a twisted bay tree and masses of herbs.  On the front of the house we have two 13ft window boxes under either window full of marigolds and pansies.  they look lovely at the moment.     That's my garden!  I am no expert but I love colour and pottering about out there.  In Spring the garden is full of snowdrops, daffs, crocus and so on.  Most of our pets ..... two dogs, a cat, countless goldfish, terrapins, mice etc are buried in the garden.

CLKD

« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »

Holkham Hall then  ;D .........

We have a silver birch, a walnut which is huge ...

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »

Holkham Hall then  ;D .........

We have a silver birch, a walnut which is huge ...

Ha ha!  i love my garden as it was big enough for the kids and their friends to play in when they were young and now its manageable for us oldies!!  ;D. My friend comes over and says she would love a garden like mine .... hers is about a third of an acre and its now too much for her and she says she can never sit and enjoy it as there is always work to do. 

CLKD

« Reply #432 on: July 22, 2019, 06:33:49 AM »

Does your friend live near a school or old folks' home - so that she could share it?

CLKD

« Reply #433 on: July 24, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »

I cut back some hellebore leaves and found 3 babies in flower  :-* such a surprise.  I was watering the phlox next to them and decided to cut back leaves ...... the phlox leaves were drooping, the salmon pink glows in the evening light as does the blue hydrangea in a pot  8).  Purple loose-strife gone mad all over and I think I've found some fox-glove seedlings.  When the air cools I will pot them up as they are growing in the wrong place.  Same with evening primrose which are attracting insects as I type.

CLKD

« Reply #434 on: August 02, 2019, 02:12:06 PM »

Roses going over so I can cut hard back so they should flower again at least once more  :-*
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 56