Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: colon polyps  (Read 8277 times)

Dede

colon polyps
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »

I've finally got the results of the polpy I had removed two months ago and it says low grade dysplasia. Everything else was ok and no more tests or appointments are needed but Ive just looked it up and frightened myself !!!  Anyone else had one of these ?
Many thanks Dede

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: colon polyps
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »

So what is dysplasia?  Why are you worried if you don't need any followup appts.?   :foryou:

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »

What have you read that's frightened you Dede? If it is to do with cancer it would appear that the risk of developing cancer only relates to patients who already have chronic ulcerative colitis. If it is just low grade dysplasia on it's own and just in the polyp then no more needs to be done.

Taz x

Dede

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »

Thank you both for your getting back to me. To be honest I think it was the termanology that freaked me out and not having anyone to explain it to me. ( my results came through the post with all the technical information about the type of polyp etc )  I suffer from health anxiety aswell which doesnt help and my sister had colon cancer so its always a worry.
To be honest CLKD I dont understand what dysplasia is but as soon as I saw 'abnormal growth' and 'low risk of developing cancer'  the alarm bells started ringing.
The whole thing has been hanging on since October so hopefully I can now relax and enjoy the summer.
Many thanks
Dede x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »

How awful! to receive this type of information by POST  :bang: :bang: :bang:  are you in the UK?

It would have been better for the results to have been sent to your GP for further discussion. 

Dede

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »

Hello CLKD
Ive just re-read what I put and it makes it sound as if the letter said abnomal growth which it didnt, I read that on the computer when I looked up 'dysplasia' which was on the letter, if that makes sense !!
 The letter had a list of the three colonoscopys and the findings from each along with technical details of the polyps. It was the kind of thing that a consultant discuses with you not sends through the post.
I had to wait 5 wks for the letter and that was after phoning the consultants secretary three weeks ago to find out why it was taking so long !
Yes I'm in the UK

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »

So does this mean that he had already talked this through with you or that you got the info via a letter?  I find this totally un-satisfactory!

Firewalker50

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 02:35:24 PM »

That's an understatement CLKD! 
I want to swear a lot.   Absolutely flipping ridiculous and unacceptable. 
Sorry to hear you had that worry Dede without explanation or discussion.

Fx

Dede

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »

Hello CLKD and firewalker,
All info was via the letter, havnt spoken to consultant, it just said no further action or appoinments needed.
There has been no reason given for why I had the bleed in the first place in fact it hasnt even been mentioned except to say....in the letter !....that if I have any recurring symptoms to contact him again.
Ive made an appointment to see my own Dr to express my concerns.

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »

Hi Dede -  Can totally understand you being concerned.
Hopefully you will get some sensible information from your GP.
You don't appear to have had any info at all so far.

Hope you feel better after seeing GP

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »

I hope that your GP has some reassuring information for you.  Is this usual in that particular Hospital, to send Patients home without seeing the Consultant and then to get information which could be worrying due to lack of clarity directly sent to the Patient.  Totally un-satisfactory and I would be writing to the Secretary of State for Health !  :cuss: