Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New book about being a teenager in the 70's  (Read 26886 times)

purplenanny

Re: New book about being a teenager in the 70's
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 09:20:12 PM »

Love this thread!
I remember my sister shaving off my eyebrows as it was fashionable to paint them on! They never really gre back and now I really wish she hadn't done that!
I also used to paint fake eyelashes under my lower lid. My Dad used to say it looked like I had spiders under my eyes!!
And yes, I remember the gypsy skirts, they were lovely
I also has a knitted long waistcoat with tassles - made it myself with huge needles and thought it looked great with my flared jeans!!

pixie

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »

When those peasant/gypsy skirts were in fashion around 78ish, weren't hacking jackets worn with them too?

I had several Saturday jobs, firstly as a 14year old in a beach cafe and kiosk in a chine near Bournemouth.  I earned £2.10 per Saturday.  Then I had job in a dry cleaners, but couldn't stand the smell, so left after one day! I also worked in British Home Stores on Saturday in the menswear department, but used to be very shy, and couldn't handle measuring inside legs, so they moved me into the restaurant cooking, which I liked.

I can remember going into Chelsea Girl and buying high-waisted blue trousers and a blue v-neck jumper with stripes at the neck. It had high ribbing at the waist. I wore a silver ring choker with my initial on it. This was with my first wages.  I also bought a pale green dress from Van Allen with flared out from the bust with a very large button at the top. Thought I was the bees knees! ;D

lily

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 03:59:03 AM »

I had the silver ring choker with my initial on it too, had forgotten about that!  I got a long leather coat after my first few wages and felt so grown up  ::)  Why are we always in a hurry to grow up? 

Rowan

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 08:39:20 AM »

I remember Hacking jackets and had one that I wore with a long skirt, I also had one with a Peplum.

I also use to make my own chokers with tiny Victorian brooches on the front also lacy ones, isn't it strange that talking about all this brings back the feelings even if it is just for an instant.

Wish I had it all back, I can't seem to feel the same way about fashion and all the fantasies that go with it as I did then.

Taz2

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »

.. and, let's face it, we just wouldn't look the same now in our gypsy skirts and chokers or, heaven forbid, our hotpants and stretchy white boots.. :D 

Rowan

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 08:54:35 AM »

You have a point there Taz ;D though Crocs have replaced Clogs in some older ladies.

purplenanny

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 09:19:30 AM »

I remember having a knitted purple stripe dress that went down below my knees, but I wore a chain link belt with it and rolled it up and over the belt to make a mini. I remember my dear old Dad saying - I can see your knickers, you are not going out like that!! So, I rolled it down until I got up the road, then pulled it up again! PN

Elena

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 10:20:45 AM »

Van Allan, I remember them.

I had a velvet choker with a victorian matching brooch at the front.  Shiny pvc boots.  Denim hot pants.

When crocs first came out I swore I would never wear them but....they're very comfy  ;)

pixie

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »

;D  Those chain belts were great.  I was too young to wear them, but mum used to wear one, with some kind of top bunched over it!  I seem to remember my sister wearing snakeskin shoes with a block heal and a flap on the top.  She was always very fashion conscious. She had long straight hair, parted in the middle and wore mini skirts.  Later when she was at university, she came home and I remember mum saying she looked like she had 'dropped out', because she was wearing a long cheesecloth skirt, which wrapped around and tied at the waist and flat Jesus type of sandals! 

lily

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »

I remember Deirdre on Corrie wearing one of those chain link belts, think it still makes an appearance now and again  ;D Big spectacles must have been in too and psychodelic (sp?) wallpaper  ;D ;D

Rowan

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

I wear mine only in the garden and putting the washing out, they are white and can you imagine I bought those coloured flowers to press into the holes to  decorate them:o :o

Nurses started to wear them on the wards and theatre too, they are comfortable.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:13:04 PM by Rowan »

Taz2

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »

I thought you were talking about a chain belt there for a minute Rowan!

Taz x  :lol:

Rowan

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 04:13:30 PM »

;D ;D ;D

purplenanny

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »

yes lily, I had the large specs as well!! ::) PN
Pages: 1 2 [3]