Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New book about being a teenager in the 70's  (Read 26891 times)

Suzi Q

Re: New book about being a teenager in the 70's
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 07:22:45 AM »

Midi skirts with penny round collars and mid sleave jumpers over all colour cordinated
Big Sueds thikc heel shoes cant remember hand bags?
Or Cullotte pants with tiny tops and cloggs
Clours in seasons Pink and Blue and Grey and Brown 1972/73 Auntumn Winter
Long Blue silk underbust waisted frocks with  roiman sandalles 1974 ABBA

Men Bobbles long hair Pants that tight you could see everything
Multi coloured vests over Penny round shirts and Jackets all had to match
1974 more or less the same but with 2 inch heel shoes made him 6ft 7 inches tall me 5/2 heheh loved the 70s

Sons hair david Bowie cut dressed like a mini David Bowie he also has his teeth sloping in Dentist  braces? I said NO

Witches Cat

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 07:37:26 AM »

Left school at 16 in '72, the last 6 months us girls used to sit at the back of the class with a carrier bag hung on the chair back with Crochet and wool in it, when no-one was looking we'd sit there crocheting a poncho each.  On leaving school and going to work in a chemist if we didn't have the long shiny boots on we had scholls wooden sandals, skirts so short you could almost see our knickers (it's a wonder the old boys who came in with their prescriptions didn't have a heart attack in the shop) and the long maxi coats to go home in. We used to sell the musk oils, they were lovely, also outdoor girl makeup, and miners, and they did a matt wedgewood blue eyeshadow in a lipstick push up case and we ladled it on regardless of our eye colour. The number of old ladies who used to come in complaining they thought they were dieing, as they handed their script over, and sat chatting on chairs waiting for their pills, moaning about the hot fluhes and us girls had not a clue what they were on about. Those were the days.

ariadne

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »

Patchouli - definitely the scent of the 70's!

Pixie - I used to draw pictures of skinny, long legged girls in hot pants too but mine had very long hair and huge eyes. They looked a bit like today's anime type cartoon figures.

I remember drawing one in Art Class when I should have been drawing "an orange screaming" (Our art teacher was very weird) He called me to the front with my drawing and said it was very good and had I thought of changing some of the features. In my embarrassment at having attention drawn to me, I raised my eyes to heaven and ..... he went barmy and yelled at me, gave me a detention too. I cried because I was a good girl and never had a detention before  ::)  I was a terrible wimp.

ariadne xx

lily

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »

;D ;D  Me - blue eyeshadow, cheesecloth tops, long hair in middle 'score', v-neck Bay City Roller jumper  ;D ;D

pixie

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »

;D

I also liked art at school and remember painting an 'Army of lipsticks', which was a bit surreal and it was displayed in the assembly hall. The screaming orange sounds a really great idea - I would've liked that one!  How did you do the screaming orange?

Patcholli oil is very familiar and we used to burn joss sticks and go around our friends houses listening to Dark Side of the Moon and Echoes by Pink Floyd in total silence!  I had a boyfriend who like an LP called Rainbow Rising .  All those songs bring back a lot of memories, when I hear them on the radio. We also had a ouji board that we once tried out.  I can remember about six of us pushing a glass around a table and someone in the group said:"Spirit please indicate if you are here" and straight away all the lights went off, because his electricity meter needing topping up with coins.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:32:41 PM by pixie »

ariadne

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »

I had no idea how to draw an orange screaming....so I drew one of those girls instead!

Joss sticks - oh yes. Loved them too, my bedroom always smelt of them. I remember going youth hostelling with some friends and we lit some in the dorm. (No-one else staying there at the time) Next thing we knew "matron" came in and said someone had reported that we were smoking dope and we had to leave!

"Freaking out" to Virginia Plain and All Right Now.

ariadne xx

pixie

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 07:03:24 PM »

;D  Those were the days!

Rowan

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »

Whitches Cat those were the makes I was trying to remember- Miners and Out door Girl.

I am sure the oils I remember now were sold my Miners, small dark green bottles, am going to have  Google and see if I can come up with some retro sites  :)

I can remember doing the ouji board too and it scaring the life out of us, I can look back and laugh now we were so gullible, though I swear no one pushed the glass.

Elena

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »

At lunch time in my school we used to try levitation.  Six of us would position ourselves around the 7th who would be lying on the floor.  We each put a finger underneath her body and chanted "We believe in the powers of levitation".  She would then start rising up.  I remember our ancient english teacher interrupting one of these sessions and asking "Girls, what are you doing?"   ;D

Witches Cat

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »

Have just pre-ordered this book from Amazon for my Kindle, release date isn't till 30th April, so gonna have to wait a couple of weeks. :)

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »

I haven't got a kindle but my "paper" copy is arriving tomorrow!

Taz x

jax

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 01:53:23 PM »

what fun...
1972 to 74 lived in midlands... discovered gypsy skirts and had ears pierced at the bull ring centre!
75-77 back in leeds...summer of 76 scorcher...played out all day on my new bike I got for xmas 75 :-)
and roller skates.....I loved them.
was a bay city rollerfan and hat my tartan scaff that I embroidered myself and white dunlop tennis pumps that I coloured in the different panels.
was 15 in summer 78...got taken to local pub on sunday tea time ...played space invaders game, drank coke and seabrook tomato crisps.
started a sat job in a shop in town and started to notice a boy in the pub who also sat with his mum n dad drinking coke...lol
left school and started work...aware of fashion..maxi skirts, pretty blouses..remember those boucle edge to edge jackets? saved up for 3 weeks to buy one,then sewed hippy style ribbon round the collar and fronts..lol
oh...cotton headsquares...and yes Musk Oil...
by 79 I was going out with boy from pub, discovered Discos, Abba, Michael jackson and kissing ...and never skated again..lol

Witches Cat

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »

Forgot about the ear-piercing Jax, in 1970 I asked mother if I could have my ears pierced, she was so against it you'd have thought I'd have asked to get tattooed .... anyway, I got round my granny  (lovely granny) she gave me the money and I crept into the jewellers after school one day with a friend for support. Fat lot of good she was, in those days it was hinged sleepers they put in and I had no idea of how they did it. When my friend had come round after hitting the deck, she explained that after they sprayed the freeze solution on, it was with a hollow need like a fish hook with the end of the sleeper slotted in half way down, but what made her pass out was the tea towel put over my shoulder that was still covered in blood from the last customer. And my mother went absolutely berzerk, .....completely mental.  Years later I did ear-piercing myself, with the gun and stud system, and to prove it didn't hurt  (all lies) I did my own another 4 times each side, I still go out looking like a scrap metal advert to this day.    ;D

Elena

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 08:25:53 PM »

Gypsy skirts - I'd forgotten them too.  With a lace bit at the bottom and a petticoat "built in".

I pierced my own ears when i was 15 when my mum and dad went out for the day. Bought hinged sleepers and used a needle that I sterilised in boiling water put ice cube on ear lobe to freeze it a bit.   My mum was very against ear piercing too!  Anyway, holes were lop-sided  ::)  so in the end I let them close up and had them re-done when I was 16 and working (hard luck Mum, got my way in the end!)

jax

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »

I hadnt even thought of ear piercing till I lived with older bro for a while. My then 6yr old niece begged me to have them done like hers...OMG...
was done with a gun thing with those hypo allergenic studs that had a groove so the butterflys stayed on.
remember had to bath ears every day and twiddle the posts round in holes so they didnt stick...eeewww lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3