Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NHS changes  (Read 10135 times)

Rowan

NHS changes
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:29:29 AM »

Do you think things will improve now for patients.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21999532#

Hurdity

Re: NHS changes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »

So that is a loaded question Rowan... but important to think about.

Improve in what way? ie What is it that needs improving that these changes could bring about?

I am concerned about competition and tendering for services which can include private companies. Surely this means the potential for profit to override patient care and safety?

I mean look what happened with the railways as an example? I don't think we should mix up our health with the need to satisfy shareholders. I can see that the fundamental principle of the NHS being free at the point of need can still be upheld but at what cost (and I don't mean financial here).

Maybe having GPs control budgets is a good thing but only if it avoids waste and more money going towards healthcare and services becoming less bureaucratic and more efficient (if that is what's needed).

Actually I don't really know much about the issues in detail so my view is probably far too simplistic.

Hurdity x

lancashirelass

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »

i do not feel it will improve things.  already my surgery has stopped patients using a repeat prescription service at a local chemist as they are saying too many drugs are being ordered.  they are won't let you order  prescription over the phone only online or in person fine for me but elderly patients will struggle.  they also wp t let you have more than a months worth of anything now too.  this seems more bureaucratic than before. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:02:05 PM by lancashirelass »

Elena

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:59 PM »

No I dont :(

pixie

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »

Probably not, as the NHS is still in debt.  :(

Meg

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:46:16 PM »

Not sure at all. Sorry to say I dont know whether to trust the GP's any more than the PCT's.  It may still be a cost cutting exercise for the patient and then there might be further erosion of the good relations which should exist between GP and patient, already maybe at a low ebb!

Meg

Suzi Q

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:13:29 AM »

We have no prblems in Ozz?
We pay $60 to see a GP get about $30 back in Medicare rebate you go to a centre to get it back
We pay for btests xrays everyhing thats not in a Hospital situation
Theres no people dropping dead in the street If oyu need a transplant you get one
Its just no a dependant society we pay taxes same as home just as much We dont earn much more
But we are expected and get taxed at a higher rate if we dont also take out Private health insurance
AND ITS A LABOUR GOVERNMENT over 30 you pay higher medicare levy (tax) if you dont take out private insurance
So you dont have that holiday in Torrmalinos or a new car every 4th year here its expected that YOU PAY
People  dont expect taxpayers to subsidise them I know when I came here I was stunned shocked beyond words
Now to me too its normal that I pay Im off now to a Dental Tech I will pay 170pounds nothing from medicare
They dont cover teeth eyes list goes on so you HAVE to have private I will probably get 70pounds back from Pmedicine

Elena

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 06:56:08 AM »

The GPs aren't getting the final say in how money is spent/services are used etc.  They have to answer to a new Quango which the govt has introduced.  In fact despite the idea being to cut bureaucracy (sp?!) new levels are being introduced.  It's all a bit smoke and mirrors.

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »

Pen pushers making more jobs for themselves buggars xxxxxx

Rowan

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »

I just asked my OH what he thought, he said  that he did not think so and he says that GPs may not know enough about budgeting  or have the management skills and it could result in uneven provision from surgery to surgery.

He is a retired banker so he maybe thinking of it from that angle.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »

I only heard some of this programme but it touched on the new NHS 111 service and also on fasting and the link between cancer and obesity. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rl8nq

Taz x

Elena

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »

Ah yes, that was where I heard it Taz. The GP who said he and his partners had tried to opt for a service that the patients requested and which they thought was best but was outvoted by the "authority".  I think it was out of hours care wasnt it?

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »

Yes - I'll listen properly later!

Taz x

pixie

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »

Cuts are being made all the time in public services,so it can only get worse,unless we all start paying a lot more towards this 'treasured' service, like they do so in other countries. Sorry for the doom and gloom but being realistic.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:20:59 PM by pixie »

Sarai

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 05:21:05 PM »

I like Suzi Q answer. It's what we should do here. That way we may well get good continuity of care. Right now just seeing the GP of choice is impossible.
Our large purpose built practice, is ridiculously under used, many rooms promised all manner of services never materialised. Not one GP works full time for their £150.000 salary.
I could go on and on.
Pages: [1] 2