Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Started hrt - hot flushes worse?!  (Read 10561 times)

Echinacea

Started hrt - hot flushes worse?!
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:04:50 AM »

Hi ladies,
Need some advice please!
Have been diagnosed with VA by gynae, who started me on Estradot patch, low dose, 0.25.  I cannot use the vagifem, ovestin etc because of hypersensitive skin. 
Put the patch on on Saturday, and felt ok, but yesterday, Sunday, started having a massive increase in my hot flushes.  And have been awake most of last night, having sweats and agitation.
What I want to know is, does it settle?  I didn't think the hrt was meant to make the hot flushes worse! Should I continue or contact the gynae, and how long to leave it?  Don't want to be a nuisance, and if it will get better will stick it out.
Thanks for any help.
Echinacea

Smokey

Re: Started hrt - hot flushes worse?!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »

How are your flushes now? It does seem a bit strange that they have got worse now your starting HRT , could be a coinsidence and 25 is a low dose and maybe you need a higher dose, but it usually is advised to try a HRT for 3 months before changing or adjusting it.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »

I also think it could be a coincidence. Hot flushes can worsen suddenly for no reason so it could be that they would have stepped up a gear anyway. I wouldn't have thought that such a low dose would actually combat flushes. Not sure what anyone else thinks?

Taz x

Echinacea

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »

Thanks for your replies.
The saga continues;
the hot flushes have reduced and I actually slept through the night one night!  However, I have horrendous vulval pain, which started a couple of days after applying the patch.  I thought it might be thrush, so took a tablet, but it has not made any difference, and the pain is worse.
I have had vulvodynia before, so am wondering if the hormones have triggered that off again.
Am phoning the gynae tommorrow, so see what he says.
Am so fed up, been crying all afternoon!  Some would say 'feeling real sorry for myself'!  The pain is so bad I cannot sit down for more than half hour at moment, and I cannot think about anything else.
I have a horrible feeling that I may be allergic to oestrogen, as I have reacted like this to all forms of oestrogen, the cream, vagifem etc.  It always feels like burning, really severe.
If that is the case, then I am effectively 'stuffed'!
Am researching promensil at the moment.  Has anyone tried that?
Thanks for listening.
Echinacea