Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hysterectomy at 45  (Read 13939 times)

Tinks67

Re: Hysterectomy at 45
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »

Hey cubagirl,
Feeling rather naieve too, hence why I'm trying to get as much "real" info as possible. Books are all well and good but personal experience always better in my view. Housework will be taken care of and 16 yr old son will be heading towards exams, so being at home together is great, so no slacking on revision!!
Tinks x

Madge11

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:24 PM »

I had a hysterectomy at 44, due to endometrial cancer.  I don't want to worry you (but you did ask for "real" info) it was the worst experience of my life.  My dr told me I would experience surgical meno, but "don't worry, you'll be OK")  Hmmm,  I was not!  I started having hot flushes in hospital, and by the time I went for my six week check I was having whole body on fire flushes about every hour, day and night. I had joint pain, insomnia,depression, you name it, I suffered with it.   This went on for about another three months when I got myself referred to another consultant who was happy to give me hrt.

It's now 5 1/2 years later and I've just weaned myself off hrt and only having the odd hot flush late at night.

But everyone is different and you might be fine.  I think what I went through was the worst case senario  >:(

Hope all goes well for you.   :foryou:

Winterose

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »

Tinks - have they given a reason for removing the ovaries too? If not I would question that decision, if there is no medical reason perhaps you could ask them to be left if they are healthy.  I had a vaginal hyster about 8 years ago and it might help to know I had no pain,  :D

pixie

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 06:43:11 AM »

I agree wholeheartedly to keep your ovaries, whether pre or post menopausal.  Even if your ovaries are not 'reproductive', they serve many functions after menopause e.g bones and cardiovascular health.   They still secrete androgens, one of which is testosterone, which may affect your sex drive.  Your ovaries are protective.  You still have low level oestrogen in your body. You can still take HRT with your ovaries if you need it, but if you have it all taken away, then you don't know how you may react to HRT.  My sister researched her laproscopic hysterectomy fully.  They had wanted to remove her ovaries, but her cancer risk was low, but she had a growth that they didn't know what it was til they opened her up.  It turned out to be fibroids occluding the cervixShe took her research into the appointment. ok they were very surprised but she kept her ovaries, and she was really glad she did, becuase she felt no different after her op and did not require life long medication either. :) x

PS Magnesium trisilicate is the medication used to be given hospital after a laproscopy for wind pain radiating up to the shoulder tip.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:47:16 AM by pixie »

pixie

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »

Oopherectomy is the terminology to remove ovaries (on wikipedia), look at long term risks and adverse reactions to having this done. Be aware also that HRT doesn't always reverse these risks. There should be no reason, for removing someones ovaries, especially when they are going through perimenopause, unless you have a risk of cancer.  Some surgeons are more aware of current developments than others and it is good to be aware.  I've research my operation, and I'm keeping my ovaries. You have a choice with this and don't have to do it. ;) x
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:39:32 PM by pixie »

Winterose

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »

Tinks , article on Fox News in States which you can google - taken from  a scientific journal which advises ladies to keep ovaries unless they are diseased.  Report came out end of Feb. If your ovaries are healthy they will keep you well . While you would remove the risk of ovarian cancer you would increase the chances of other health issues.  Article suggests the other issues far outweigh the chance of ovarian cancer - though huge sympathy to anyone on here who has it.

Taz - did you get my lengthy pm? :)

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »

Yes I did! Thank you. I will reply later on!

Taz x

Tinks67

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »

Thanks everyone for your messages and info - surgery now mid May so I have a little time yet to do more research. 
Sending healing love and hugs to all.
Tinks xx
Pages: 1 [2]