Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hysterectomy at 45  (Read 13937 times)

Tinks67

Hysterectomy at 45
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »

Hello - new today - wanting to know more about hysterectomy - mine in 4 weeks ..... eeek !!

Taz2

Re: Hysterectomy at 45
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »

Hi Tinks - your name sounds familiar - have you been a member before? If so then welcome back and if not then  :welcomemm:

There are quite a few members who have had hysters so I am sure they will soon be along to give advice. What are your reasons for needing one and are you keeping your ovaries?

Taz x

Tinks67

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »

Hi Taz

Wow you have an amazing memory - yes a member a while back but not logged in recently. Hyst because of a "dysfunctional" menopause and endometriosis, everything is going ...... been on hrt a year but no improvement sadly.

Just trying to get as much info as I can.
Tinks x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »

Well I have a reason - one of my old boy (men) friends was called Tinks so it sort of stuck in my mind!!

As you are losing your ovaries you will obviously need HRT if you are to avoid the hot sweats and all the other things that go with surgical menopause. It sounds as if you have had a miserable time of it. Have you been on this site http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/forums/  for information and possible support from others also waiting for their operations. They have a monthly club on the forum where all the members who are having their ops in the same month can swap notes.

Do you know where all of your endo is? I just ask because if any is left behind then HRT can keep it stimulated I believe.

Taz x

Tinks67

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »

Well its lovely you remember, whatever the reason  :)

Majority of endo will be excised and removed thankfully ...... and yes have read it can be stimulated with hrt, which accounts for why the last 12 months have been so rubbish.

Thanks for the website, will defo take a look.
Tinks x

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »

I had hysterectomy in mid 30's due to constant pain and near continual bleeding.  Kept ovaries for another 10 years though.  I had ovarian cysts and fibroids. My recollection of it is that I was given HRT after hysterectomy, though some GPs at my surgery disagree. 
Ask heaps of questions before your op. I was only in hospital for 2-3 days post op and suffered with my bowels for a while afterwards.  Had to get an emergency doctor out the night I came home. I was in agony. Though it was nothing serious, we weren't wanting to take risks. Also ended up with a UTI.  Not wanting to scare you, but nobody told me these things could happen. I got a PCA to use for pain post op. Brilliant stuff. Only needed for less than 24 hours, then onto oral pain relief.

Babylon Burning

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »

Hi Tinks I had a total hysterectomy (for ovarian cancer) almost two weeks ago.  I am still very sore in the groin area so have to take pain killers on a regular basis.  I had an epidural for post op pain but it wasn't 100% successful.  My bowels still don't know if they are coming or going, I just hope they will settle down some time soon.

As for HRT etc.  don't get me started on that as nobody even mentioned that I would be plunged into surgical menopause, thankfully I was already aware of that fact.  The main symptom I'm having at the moment is night sweats, last night was a doozy!  I'm not sure at the moment whether to go for HRT or not, it depends whether I have to have chemo or not, (I still don't know what stage my cancer is at).  However, I was starting to experience VA when I was peri so may opt for vaginal oestrogen at some stage.

Good luck with the op, if you have any more questions (not matter how graphic!), just let me know.  Take care.

Tinks67

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 09:46:19 AM »

Hi cubagirl - thanks for the reply. Sorry you didn't have a great time. Things like that do scare me, but hoping for a life back after recovery. Been told l'll be in 3 nights. There are so many conflicting pieces of advise though, that's what's so confusing!
Tinks  :)

Tinks67

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »

Hello babylon - so sorry to hear your story - fingers crossed all the cancer has been removed and you'll be back on top form very soon.
The pain relief is something that really worries me, my bowels are rubbish because of the endo anyway, so much to think about.
Thanks for your offer to, will take you up on that!
All the best to you
Tinks x

Suzi Q

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »

To all today on this Palm Sunday I send my love and prayers

YIPPEEE time for us all will come around soon again yes yippeee

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »

If at all possible keep your ovaries, especially if having a hysterectomy before natural menopause.

Tinks67

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »

Ovaries are going too ......

Babylon Burning

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »

Tinks, I forgot to mention post op trapped wind which can be very painful.  I tried the peppermint tea option but it made me nauseous.  Try to walk as much as you can, as this will help to get things going.

Tinks67

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »

Hey babylon - I remember the trapped wind from 3 laps, not so great lol! Will give the peppermint tea a try, thanks  :)
Tinks x

Joyce

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »

I sucked heaps of polo mints as peppermint tea made me nauseous. Any peppermint would probably do though, depending on your preference.
I was probably rather naive when I got mine done, I was just so relieved to finally be rid of pain and bleeding.  I'm talking some 22 years ago now.  Wish this site had been around back then.
As BB says walk around as much as possible afterwards but no housework!  :) Good excuse to have someone else do it for you for a while.
Pages: [1] 2