Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Vagifem shortage?  (Read 35043 times)

Isithotinhere

Vagifem shortage?
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:44:10 AM »

I popped into Boots today with my prescription only to be told there is some problem with the distribution of Vagifem and they don't know when they'll get new stocks!!! I was told to go back to the docs and get something else instead. Like what??
Has anyone heard about this and got any info? I have 2 left for this week then I am knackered!!

Taz2

Re: Vagifem shortage?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »

I can't find anything about online but your best bet is to take the prescription to another pharmacy. Phone around a few to see who still has stocks.  Which dosage is your prescription for?

Taz x

Isithotinhere

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:42:10 AM »

I'm not sure Taz. I've left the prescription with them and they're going to ring me when they get some. I suppose that means I will have to start from the beginning again with a 2 week dose?

Isithotinhere

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »

Really? That's interesting because they have been short on them before (which made me think they maybe didn't have call for them very often)and have had to post them out yet yesterday the assistant told me they were very popular! We don't really have anywhere else round here but I think I'll ring around other Boots stores to see if they have any cos I really don't want to start from scratch again.

Elena

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »

That's terrible!  Never had a problem getting mine.

Hope you get some ASAP.

Gig

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:23:49 AM »

A couple of years ago there was a huge problem with Ovestin and Oestrogel which lasted for months and I was very worried-I was having to try to pick it up in large chemists in London- it turned out there was a problem with both manufacturing and also distribution- a small amount going to most countries.    This info was available online- it was mainly info for pharmacies- I had to shop around for ages along with half the population of my town it seemed- and eventually found a small independent chemist who managed to get some.  I still don't allow myself to run out- usually request a prescription when I have at least one full tube/container left in case there are problems again.  Boots I have to say was helpful, but they said their supply was erratic and there was nothing they could do about it. 

MINNIE

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »

Vagifem 25 has been discontinued now I think, I got 10 when I picked my prescription up, but bizarrely the instructions are still the same, so twice weekly still. Will need to see GP if things start to play up again!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »

Isithotinhere - are you on Vagifem 25 on 10? If 25 then as Minnie says it has been discontinued. Maybe Boots are useless on this and haven't caught up with this fact? They should know they will issue 10's to any prescription 25's. Actually my doc surgery wrote me a letter to this effect in early Feb. If you are on 10's then they (Boots) are really useless!

I wonder how many women will find that 10 mcg twice a week doesn't work?

Hurdity x

ariadne

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »

I've just had my repeat prescription for 25mcg returned to me by the pharmacy as they say they can only supply 10mcg now and that I need to get my prescription altered by my doctor.

I was using 25mcg twice a week - I'm wondering if my new prescription will say 4 times a week or just 2  :-\ 

ariadne xx

Isithotinhere

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »

I'm ashamed to say I don't know if I'm on 10 or 25 (Boots has my prescription). I'll ring them tomorrow and see what I can find out. Thanks everyone for your help  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »

araidne - I expect that's why I got a letter from the doc - but they must have done this in my surgery automatically for all women on 25's. Bet the new script will say twice a week. That was the rationale behind discontinuing I think - based on some research showing that for the women in the study - 10 mcg was as effective. A bit absurd when the leaflet on 10 mcg used to say" A switch to the higher dose product Vagifem 25 micrograms should be considered if the response after three months is insufficient for satisfactory symptom relief." There was a thread on this recently somewhere.

isithotinhere - nothing to be ashamed of!! I mean it's only when things go worng that we start to question and it will be on your prescription - which you haven't got! Hope you get it sorted

Hurdity  x

Lynne888

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »

I was put on 25's last year for three months but asked to go on 10's as I had read the 25's had been discontinued in the USA and assumed we would likely follow suit. The information online suggests the reason 25's were discontinued is that the 10's give exactly the same effect and no benefit could be found for using 25's.

My prescription is due in a few weeks so I hope there are no problems with shortages but it DOES sound like boots are the issue!!

Meadowblue

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 03:36:49 PM »

Yes, think this has been discussed before.  It is definite, so my doctor says, that the 25 mcg has been discontinued and only 10mcg now available.  I have one box of 25 left and then will have to switch to 10 mcg.  the only thing I'm worried about is if 2 a week aren't enough then since the dr. has only prescribed the same number of 10's as 25's it will be even more expensive.  Prescription charges I think are also going up in April again.  Deep joy  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 07:53:24 AM »

This gives details of the trials carried out after the FDA in America wanted Norvodisk to produce the lowest dose possible. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3234898/

Taz x

vanilla slice

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »

My first time using your forum, here goes.

I had no problem obtaining Vagifem at my small Boots chemist and was told that the manufacturers had discontinued 25mg. Apparently 10mg "gives the same benefit". I haven't found this is true for me and I'm considering using 10mg every other day until I feel comfortable. Luckily I don't pay for prescriptions but wonder when GP will notice the fast rate I'll be using them!

Does anyone know of a good vaginal lubricant without nasty buildup?
Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 4