Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Utrogestan used vaginally  (Read 26085 times)

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan used vaginally
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »

Hi Cassie

Yes two monthly cycle discussed with my doc - but basically I told her what I wanted to do. The other doc when I told her said yes it was OK no reason to take prog monthly - that it was fine for 2 months. Ditto re vaginal use - they were fine with that. However they know that I know what I'm talking about and know more than they do when it comes to Utrogestan (micronised progesterone - to avoid any confusion).

I also have the experience of being on a monthly cycle for a long time ie several years (admittedly not with Utrogestan but with Cyclogest) when towards the end I got no bleeds at all with the same dosage of Oestrogen that I am on now - ie 50 mcg patch. I stopped HRT completely for a while too and did not get a withdrawal bleed, so my using it 2 monthly is based on my own experience of my body.

It has to be personalised - and cannot necessarily be the same for every woman. We are all different sizes and will absorb oestrogen differently, so the amount getting to the oestrogen receptors in the uterus will be different. Also some have minor polyps that will contribute to greater bleeds etc

Re the scans - no I don't have regular scans - this is not offered on the NHS. I would need to have a problem and would then be referred. However when I stopped HRT for 3 months a couple of years ago I had pelvic/bladder discomfort and pain and I was referred for a U/S scan then and my lining was v thin, so I knew there had been no problem on the HRT. I haven't had a scan since being on this 2 monthly cycle but so far have not experienced any breakthrough bleeding or spotting, nor any abnormal withdrawal ( 2 monthly) bleeding, nor pain or discomfort  - so I am guessing from this point of view I am OK for the time being.

You know your body and how it has responded to the various treatments you use so hopefully you can judge it it's OK.

Personally I would think 7 days of 100 mg oral utrogestan maybe insufficient for some women but as I am sure I have said before, some private gynaes (and the top NHS ones) sometimes prescribe this to progesterone intolerant women but ensure they have regular scans.

I hope this is helpful

Hurdity x

Meeka

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »

Thanks Hurdity, I'm going to try the V route next time.  Not sure if 100mg of Utrogestan for 7 days will be enough for me long term, ive only been using HRT since December 2012 so its trial and error at the moment.    At 50, im peri so was still having bleeds before so maybe it will be enough.

fliss

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 08:45:57 AM »

yes i am usisng 100mg vaginally every night for 5 months now seems ok? latest level was 14?
fliss

Diana

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »

Hi,Thanks to all that replied to my post.Sorry I have not been on here for a while but
have had lots of family issues going on !! My daughter who is 35 has had an awful time time with 'womens problems'.She has just spent 10 days in hospital with ovarian cysts.She had quite a few but the biggest was 5cms and the smaller 2cms!She has been in agony ,couldn't eat for nearly 12 days and was on all kinds of meds including morphine for the pain.She is off to consultant today,hoping he will give a full womb sweep .Has tried the mirena coil but had to have it taken out because of problems.Bleeds heavily for 18 days out of 28.

Anyway,back to replies.the reason I call norethisterone nasty is because it is!!!Nasty side effects with headaches,abdominal pains,bloating,mood swings,anxiety,tiredness just to name a few.5mgs daily was a nightmare.

The Utrogestan has been great so far...I was due to start the 12 day Utro on Monday but started bleeding on Sunday.I took 1 Utro last night and still got a show of blood today.Not sure if I should ask Doc or not.If it is a case of 3 months causing a bleed then I will drop back to 2 monthly like Hurdity and Stella-Jane.
Will let you know how the Utro goes for my 3rd time,hope it's as kind as before.

It's strange because I hadn't had a period or bleed for at least 5 years.I don't think it's too much estraderm (50mcg patch).Will see how it goes.

Thankyou all again
Off to Hospital with daughter now.
Regards
Diana
Pages: 1 2 [3]