Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Finally an appointment!  (Read 14801 times)

Rowan

Re: Finally an appointment!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 04:10:34 PM »

I agree with everything Trey has said as I have SI joint problems too. I have found a sacro belt really helps too along with the exercises Trey suggests.

This is the one I have

Trey

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 04:30:53 PM »

The belt is great, BUT only after the joint has been correctly re-aligned.  I know Rowan knows this, but others might not.  If the joint is out, the belt would make it worse.  If the joint is in place it will help keep in place until ligaments get strong again. But not to be used all the time as don't want to weaken muscles, etc. by depending on belt.  I use mine when joint is newly fixed and sometimes when driving or at night when I might shift wrong.

Rowan

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »

That's exactly what the therapist said to me Trey and  I did not wear when I went out today and I feel fine. I am glad I have got it now for when I need it, I can usually tell when the twinges come, but at the moment everything feels solid in the area, I do hope it lasts.

Trey

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »

Greyhoundgal,  you might try this and it might help.  Lean over from the waist with your hands supporting you on say a dresser or something about waist high.  Then gently put one leg behind you and lift leg up with the knee bent somewhat.  Raise bent leg two or three feet. I call it my donkey kick.  But it is a gentle move, very gentle. Do this move four or five times each side.  If it increases pain stop.  MY SI joint snaps back in place with this move.  Sometimes it is a very loud click and then the release of pain is wonderful. Then you would be careful never to bend and twist.  It's the twist that gets you.

Just guessing but over eighty percent of backs that don't respond to treatment are SI problems.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:00:38 PM by Trey »

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »

Maybe you could Google Sacro iliac joint dysfunction.  I have it and many, many people are misdiagnosed with herniated disks, that many of us have with no symptoms, when it is the SI joint that is the culprit.  This is why so many back surgeries fail.  Google Richard DonTigny, who is the leading authority and you may recognize yourself.  I worry because MRIs are not usually done in the SI area and often the diagnosis is missed?

When pain come on suddenly it can be from bending and twisting and the SI joint gets misaligned which can be extraordinarily disabling.

Also one will often find trigger points in the Quadratus Lumborum muscle, which attaches below ribs and to top of pelvis.  If this muscle spasms, no pain killer works.  If you press hard in the area you might find exquisitely sore spots and you can release these points.  Pm me if you do and I'll tell you how, it is easy.  Also people often get relief by pressing both hands into the waist area, on both sides.

If the SI gets misaligned, like two puzzle pieces jammed together wrong, the pain is horrible and it takes some skill to realign and the relief is immediate, although one remains a bit sore.

Trey, thank you so much for this information.  What I had the other week definitely sounds like the Quadratus Lumborum thing - the pain was so immense it was unbelievable.  Even reaching out for my coffee on the table was hurting.  When I saw the private physio she said the muscle was in deep spasm but didn't say any more other than that I had a very high pain threshold as she'd had big rugby players almost crying when she was massaging and manipulating them.  I had three sessions with her and each time it gave some relief although as you say, the painkillers didn't touch it.  I also bought a TENS machine as we were going away the next week so I took it with me - it's brilliant.  I'm now off to Google the other bits so I have plenty of info on hand for when I get my call back to the consultant - had the MRI scan last night so it should be only a few more days now.

Rowan

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »

Trey thank you for the above exercise, I have printed it out.

Trey

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »

Richard DonTigny  has fantastic info on the SI.  Also, Dr. Janet Travell, Trigger Points and Myofascial Release is the bible for PT. She's deceased, but is the leading authority and there are some utube clips on how to release some trigger points.  But if you find an exquisitely sore spot, press hard for seven seconds, release slowly and apply heat, it can make a wonderful difference.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »

I did have a read about the sacro iliac joint dysfunction but I don't think that's what I have - no pain on standing or walking (they're the things when the pain is at it's lowest) and absolutely no pain anywhere other than in my lower back (muscle spasm of a month ago has now cleared up).  I will ask the consulant though when I see him.  But the exercise is brilliant and good to know about the pressure point as well just in case I ever get it again - thanks Trey  :thankyou:

Trey

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »

Also possible to have twisted a facet, those little wings on the side of each vertebra.  Ask PT to check.  My OH used to put his thumbs just on either edge of my spine and press gently up and down the painful area and sometimes they would pop back in.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »

Thanks - I'll ask him about that as well when I see him  :)  The physio I saw when I was in agony did a lot of that on my spine - hurt like hell to begin with but it gradually eased off as she was applying the pressure.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 01:22:30 PM »

Got home at lunchtime to find a letter with an appointment on the 8th April to meet again with the ESP to discuss the results of the MRI scan.....I just hope that they'll offer some sort of treatment for whatever it is they have found - finding the ongoing pain tough going some days ::)

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »

Saw my man yesterday and the news is good :)  My disks aren't showing more than usual aging wear and tear and everything else was as it should be.  The bad news is that there isn't really anything they can do about the pain - some people suffer more from it than others and I'm one of those!  He advised to carry on with the exercise and take pain medication when necessary which is what I'm doing already.  At least I know there is nothing really wrong which is a relief - just need to get the pain to some sort of manageable level now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »

We evolved upright! if you look at the other apes they tend to bend forwards, only running upright for very short strides then leaning over again.  Also, as they swing with longer arms than ours their vertebrae are naturally stretched  ;).

So remember to use pain relief 1 hour before doing any gardening or lifting, cycling or climbing.  Walking should be OK unless over rough ground.  Make sure that your mattress is comfortable for you.  Swimming can help low back pain in that it is non-weight bearing exercise.

Make sure too that you are using 'pain relief' rather than medication for 'flu like symptoms  ::)

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »

Thanks CLKD, so I should have been an ape then? ;)  Taking the meds "before" doing anything is a good tip though - I usually just do something then have to take it afterwards - makes more sense to do it the other way round :)  Walking is about the only thing I do that doesn't cause pain, either during or afterwards and I get plenty of that with the houndies.  I must say that since I've been doing Pilates my posture is better and I'm more aware of my body and what it can and can't do - just to listen to it a bit more I guess.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »

When watching the apes it is obvious where 'we' went wrong  ;D

You are aware of your symptoms and if you remember what makes the condition worse and take medication accordingly? 
Pages: 1 [2]