Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Breast lump :-/  (Read 59052 times)

grumpy2008

Re: Breast lump :-/
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »

Just want to say that I do appreciate all the comments and support. It's helping me to talk on here. I just hope I'm not coming across as totally self-absorbed? Just need some time to work it through and heal emotionally.

English Rose

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 12:03:55 PM »

Grumpy - just to say, I'm very sorry about your news and I'm thinking of you. In answer to your question by the way - you do not at all come across as "self absorbed" in any way. Your posts on this forum always strike me as being thoughtful of others. It's totally understandable to feel anxious in a situation like you've described as you are now having to wait for results etc. On the positive side, it's good that they have caught things early by what you've described, and from what I know of people who've had similar problems, the NHS gives excellent care to achieve the best result possible. You mentioned that you work, I am sure that your employer will be understanding of what you're going through and will give you time off, if needed.  Take care, ER x

Firewalker50

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 04:19:11 PM »

Not at all grumpy. Your concers are completely to be expected. That's what we are here for.  Sometimes it is good to be able to share your thoughts here when it might not be so easy to do that at home.

Fx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »

So they were up-front as to what the diagnosis might be, sometimes the type of cancer can be 'felt' on examination.  I didn't tell family members until well after I had been through the 'process', until I had definite diagnosis: they live many miles away so were not involved with the initial hospital visits etc., actually they didn't have a 'right' to know until we were ready to tell them: his parents for 9 months after and mine almost a year since I found the lump.  That way DH and I dealt with the situation on a daily basis without having to reassure members of the family, I really could NOT have dealt with their emotions at that time.  I was busy anyway having surgery, consultations, radiation therapy and follow up.

Have a huge <  GRUMPY > and make that list to take so that you have your worries answered.  Good too that you have a dedicated Nurse.

Meggie

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »

Hi Grumpy

It's good you kept checking yourself as many do not.  I have cysts in each breast which are deep and close to the rib cage and heart so a biopsy cannot be carried out.  I have annual mammogrammes and echo-gramme and the size of the cysts haven't altered.  Hope this makes you smile but after the mammo I look like madonna in the pointed bra ..... got 38G boobs !!!

Hope you get it all sorted soon - thinking of you - stay positive.

Meggie

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »

Hi Grumpy - just wanted to send you this..... :foryou:

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »

<wave> Meggie - nice to see you on Board!

How are you today Grumpy?

grumpy2008

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »

Hi, I'm feeling a bit better today... well, I was better earlier but the panic comes in waves  :(.

I felt well enough to pop into work and explain to my boss what was happening and she was extremely supportive and I've been told to take whatever time I need.

My hubby stayed at home today - he's tired too - and a close friend came round this afternoon for a chat, which was lovely.

But I'm exhausted now and unfortunately read something on google that set my anxiety off again. I should know better than to do that. Actually I was looking up the consultant at the hospital (he gets a very good rating) and read something about survival rates that I'd rather not know at the moment  :'(. It's not taking much to knock me back, I guess it just takes time.

Meggie, your post made me smile, thank you! I'm quite flat chested so I'm always amazed they can even do a mammo on me...  ;)

Thanks again for all your lovely comments :)

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »

Your Consultant reads well, that's one thing less to worry about.

Make sure that you are healthy when you go in for the surgery, i.e. well rested, you have eaten as well as is possible and keep hydrated.  If possible you and your husband should walk, gently, together.  No need to talk.  Simply be.  Make this your time.  Make you the person who doesn't become one of those statistics, which is what they are!  Positivity is difficult as the fear and worry can be over-whelming.  Have you spoken to your breast nurse since your appt.?  Perhaps ringing for a chat and a little reassurance?

Keep away from GOOGLE ;-) alghouth yesterday it was Irish dancers all the way across the page  ::)

:hug:  new nightie - make sure that it can be buttoned up/down the front as lifting clothing above the head might be impossible after surgery.  You may be sore or stiff, you may have a drip and drain to contend with: and it is quicker to undo a few buttons when the Doctors do their rounds as they often arrive suddenly ::).  It is easier to pull a nighty round the body rather than struggle with it on and off  ;).  New flannels, soap, best slippers, iPod in case you can't sleep ........ show DH where your clean knickers are, how to wash the nightie - it's hot in hospitals so you may need at least one change a day  ::) - new toothbrush and paste, leave a list of 'phone numbers for those you wish to know you are in/out of hospital.  Buy in dog/cat/budgie food etc. and hide a few treats for DH to find i.e. under your pillow ......... I don't know whether you need loose change these days for the 'phone or whether it's a by the bed phone which is charged at the end of your stay ...........
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:09:24 AM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »

Good tips there CLKD. As for the phone -  most wards now allow mobiles.

Taz x

grumpy2008

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 08:20:21 PM »

Thanks for the useful advice :). I'm using relaxation tapes in an attempt to keep my stress levels down. It all just keeps popping into my mind unfortunately :(. I'm trying to keep a sense of perspective but it's hard.

The nurse told me that the lumpectomy would be done within a day, and they would have me home by evening! She said it improves the healing process and they've found it to be very successful.

I'll know better what I'm dealing with after my next appt...

Taz2

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »

That's good news Grumpy. A lumpectomy is usually done as a day case - well it is in our hospital anyway.

Taz x

grumpy2008

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »

Taz, I'm hopeful that will be the plan... I do remember she told me that very clearly, to reassure me. Some of the rest was a blur however!

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 05:11:01 AM »

I have a small scar above the r nipple - there was little physical pain after Surgery.  It was sore.  Of course. I had one running stitch with a knot and a white bead at each end - Idid askwhy it wasn't a diamond  ;)

grumpy2008

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »

Did you have further treatment, CLKD? It's ok if you'd rather not talk about it... I was just wondering... perhaps I'm getting to the stage of being able to think further ahead.

I've just had a call to say my results will available tomorrow so my appointment has been brought forward to tomorrow morning  :-\. My consultant has hurried the pathologist, apparently, because he's knows I'll be anxiously waiting.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16