Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Frozen shoulder  (Read 37419 times)

Taz2

Re: Frozen shoulder
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »

If you are diabetic then it is common to have it in both shoulders.

Taz x

Night_Owl

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »

In my early 40s when I was peri and didn't know it - estro levels were dropping - I had right frozen shoulder then it healed only for the left to start up.  Each lasted about a year.  Total agony, limited arm movement.   Initially I had 6 weeks of NHS physio, she recommended and sold me a Tens machine which I used all the time for relief.  Acupuncture helped somewhat. 

Hope you find some relief, it's the pits.

Night_Owl
x

panda762

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »

Cupcake - although initially I had pain/stiffness in both shoulders/armpits, thankfully my right side got better (I'm right-handed and obviously use that arm more), and it's currently just my left one (famous last words). I haven't had a full range of neck movements for about 5 years (osteo-arthritis between C6/C7). x

Taz - Not diabetic thankfully. x

Night Owl - Thank you :) I haven't had oestrogen levels tested (am on Evorel 100 patches). I have a Tens at home (have tried it on various pains in the past without success) but at the moment, as you know, the pain is so bad I can't bear the thought of trying anything on it that might make it even worse. Have done acupuncture for various things but it's never really helped. x

Gone back on naproxen (500mg twice daily) but to be honest it's not making much difference.
I've never known pain like it :(

xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 08:10:02 PM »

Deep in the joint
Continuos or background
Difficult with movement
Difficult getting comfortable in bed
Keep up with the Naproxin if you are able to tolerate it, building up a level of pain relieve might help.

panda762

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 09:39:35 PM »

The pain feels like it comes from somewhere deep in my armpit/joint. It's a sudden pain that takes my breath away and makes me feel instantly sick in the pit of my stomach.

If I don't move my arm it doesn't hurt. I can lift it (carefully) in front of me and upwards/downwards, but the minute I turn/twist it (ie: try to reach for something to the side of me or unhook my bra) it's agony. Laying on my left in bed is an issue, even when propped up with pillows, as it gets too painful and keeps me awake.

I'll continue to take 1 x 500mg Naproxen morning and night. I have a GP appointment 11th Feb (couldn't get one sooner - NHS for you!) when I plan to ask / nag / beg my GP for an injection. Of course, I doubt I'll get one on the day and am likely to be shoved on the pain clinic waiting list, but we shall see....

xxx

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 05:29:28 PM »

NHS - I got an appt. within an hour for DH last week.  When I was poorly 2 weeks ago the GP dipped my wee sample and rang back within 2 hours. 

honeybun

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »

Don't build your mind up that an injection will help.

My BIL has a shoulder problem and has been in terrible pain. He had a cortisone injection last week and it has made no difference.

Sometimes it just takes time which is no help at all. I had a frozen shoulder ten years ago and its still not right. It locks up on occasions and I can't sleep on that side.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »

Frozen shoulder will heal itself in about 2-3 years - that is, if the patient sits absolutely still.  However  ::) we breath which is enough to aggravate the joint  :-\

Depomedrone/steroid injections can act as a lubricant like WD40 but sometimes it makes no difference at all. 

panda762

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »

CLKD - I live on a huge housing estate with nowhere near enough GPs, so there's always a wait. You can 'try' for an 'emergency' appointment on the day but you have to ring at 9am.....and keep ringing until you get through (not always practical when you're ill).

Honeybun - Trying not to get my hopes up. I had a successful steroid jab 20 years ago when I broke my tailbone  :o but last year when my pain consultant injected my SI joint there was no improvement in my back pain (although I'd already told him it wasn't my SI joint that was the issue but he wouldn't listen).

Over the years I've been through most NHS painkillers, the most recent was codeine (which I stopped after nasty side-effects). The ONLY thing that's ever helped my neck/back pain was when I've had morphine for various operations, but they obviously won't let me have that on a daily basis.

Just have to see what my GP says on 11th....

Trey

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »

I had a frozen shoulder six months and then had acupuncture with a Chinese DO (samed as medical doctor in US) and got complete relief after about six treatments.  Still am amazed.

Firewalker50

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »

Hi Panda.

Hope your pain is less today.

Thinking about what Trey has said, perhaps if you can get a good physiotherapist who offers acupuncture you would get the best of both worlds (sorry if you have mentioned that and I missed it already).

I cannot imagine what it must be like living with that pain all the time.

Fx

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »

I can: I have: it's awful, tiring, never ending, worrying  :-\

panda762

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »

I've tried acupuncture in the past for back pain and it really didn't help (it's obviously a very individual thing). Can't get it on NHS where I live in any case and I've now used up all my savings on alternative therapies :(

Booked to start physio in March (!) so will see how that goes...

Just wish I could put my jumper / t-shirt / coat on without struggling, and to be able to lie on my left side in bed would be nice...

xxx

Rowan

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »

panda762 you have probably exhausted most the alternate methods but have you seen this website http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/articletile.asp?article=55&section=16&tile=1

I really sympathise with your pain and frustration in getting some relief, especially with not being able to get comfortable at night in bed.

Wish I could be of more help, have you searched on youtube for "frozen shoulder" they often can give insight to the problem and solution. I have read the condition goes through three stages and takes about two years to resolve. It does appear to start in neck and lower skull.

As I said I really wish I could be more helpful.

Trey

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6