Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Frozen shoulder  (Read 37774 times)

panda762

Re: Frozen shoulder
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 09:51:32 AM »

The pain doesn't go down the arms, it's more localised (under my armpits and inside the joint - and just above the joint). I did originally assume it was linked to the arthritis in my neck (C6/C7) but it really is a 'different' type of pain and doesn't respond to heat (unlike the arthritis).

The severe pain (the sort that stops you in your tracks and then makes you nauseous for a few minutes afterwards) happens when I reach/stretch the arm out/up/behind.

The gnawing ache is present 24/7.

Yes, washing my (long) hair, hanging laundry, unhooking a bra, reaching a high shelf.... all problematic.
Also, oddly enough, the small movement of pushing a xmas card through a letter box last week was excruciating!

Don't actually feel unwell with it (other than utterly miserable and all the general meno symptoms).

I don't believe the pain meds are working, but will continue to take them until my follow-up appointment.

x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »

What doseage of pain meds are you taking?  I would speak with a pharmacist for advice tomorrow as it's 'that time of year' !

Trey

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »

Really good point, Taz, on not feeling well.  I completely forgot that and my friends did feel lousy with pmr.

panda762

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 02:44:33 PM »

The pain meds are:
Solpadol (co-codamol) 30mg/500mg caplets...2 tablets 4 times a day  :o
Naproxen 500mg........1 tablet twice a day

Also on statins (high cholesterol), omeprozole (no gall bladder) and calcium channel blockers (high bp)

HRT: Evorel 75 patches
Testo implant (100mg)

Yes, I do have one of those tablet trays with the different compartments  ;D

x

panda762

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »

Ugh - NOT the news I was hoping for :(

Bloods came back within the 'ok' range. Diagnosis "Looks like it might be frozen shoulder"...

Got to go back on the pain meds I stopped taking cos they didn't help (!) and have been put on the waiting list for long-term physio (oh joy).

Got a leaflet on shoulder exercises: "Using your good arm".... WHAT good arm?! (Both affected).
"Hold a roller skate in your hand and run it up the wall"..  :o

Was hoping for some steroid pills or injections.

2013 sucks so far  :(

xx

Js

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 07:34:50 PM »

Hi panda

I had frozen shoulder a couple of years ago I was diagnosed because all of a sudden I couldn't raise my arm up and pull it back I tryed to push it hard but wouldn't go then it hurt but unless i did that I would not  get any pain anyway went to docs he sent me to physio for about 4 weeks had to do the exercises at home but didn't make any difference had to have a cortisone. Ejection inthe end and it worked they injected into  the shoulder and didn't have any side effects and felt fine afterwords and after 2 weeks  could move it again with ease  I didn't have any blood tests though  I even had a X-ray on my shoulder but showed nothing . Been ok since

Hope you can get some relief soon panda

Js

Trey

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »

This from our national institute of health

Signs and tests

Lab tests cannot diagnose polymyalgia rheumatica. However, most patients with this condition have an elevated sedimentation rate (ESR), a blood test that can show certain kinds of inflammation.

Other test results for this condition (as well as for giant cell arteritis) include:

Abnormal proteins in the blood

Abnormal white blood cells

Reduced hemoglobin and hematocrit

Signs of anemia

These tests may also be used to monitor patients' progress.

Just in case you don't get relief.  Good luck.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 09:11:11 PM »

My Mum was advised to lean forwards from the waist with the affected limb flopping forwards then do a'pudding' mix movement - as far away from the body as pain would allow.

Can you ring the physio dept and ask for some exercises - they may have a cancellation.  It might be worth while getting a private appt. or booking in to see the Physio at the Gym or Rugby Club

panda762

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »

Js - thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a 'quick-fix' (injections) but that's not going to happen :(
Ironic that the GP said I had to 'push through the pain' and yet on the leaflet it says 'if it starts to hurt then stop!' (I'm not a martyr - I'm not pushing through THAT kind of pain).

Trey - had ESR, blood count, liver profile, bone profile and several other tests but the only test that was slightly 'abnormal' was thyroid (!) which will be re-tested early March.
Thanks for the list though, I'll certainly bear it in mind if the physio doesn't help :)

xx

panda762

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »

CLKD - at the moment I'm not entirely sure where the physio will take place - I have no paperwork as yet (other than a GP surgery leaflet). Unfortunately, finances won't allow for any private treatment so I'm at the mercy of the NHS....
Reading your pudding mix comment has made me realise what one of the descriptions actually means (thank you :) )
Made more sense to me than (quote) "Standing with legs apart and leaning forwards, circle affected arm, gradually winding up and then down..."

xx

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »

My NHS physio appointments usually come through within two weeks. I found their service to be excellent and it is good that you are actually being offered it as some GP's don't seem to realise the benefits of physio for frozen shoulder. You are really unlucky to get it in both shoulders at once Panda - although a mate of mine who had it in one shoulder for a year and then within two months of finally getting better developed it in the other one did say that perhaps she would have preferred to get it over with all in one go! She found physio helped together with painkillers but was signed off work for six months each time.

Taz x

Trey

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 09:44:17 AM »

A new neighbor had surgery for severe shoulder arthritis and now, six months later has arthritis in her other shoulder from using it so much while the other was healing.

Panda, my medical mentor said to always look for the simplest answers first as 99% were, so I'm betting it is frozen shoulder and hoping ypu'll get relief with your physio.

Firewalker50

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »

Hello Panda

Chiropractic would also be an option to consider.   From experience problems with shoulders, necks and tingling fingers, painful arms etc. arise from mis-aligned skeleton.   However, that said, I notice that you are not in a financial position to pay for that.   I have direct experience of frozen shoulder and horrendous pain in my neck being released by adjustment in lower back.  I do appreciate your situaiton may not be mine - I am simply giving an alternative perspective.

With regard to Physiotherapy, some practices and areas have a Self Referral System.  I can do that in my area.  I don't know if you are aware of that or if you can/cannot self refer.   Here is the NHS link that also refers to it, although you would need to contact your local Primary Care Trust.   I have no idea if it would speed things up for you or not.

If you are working, there is also a service provided by NHS which is designed to keep you in work.  You contact them directly and they allocate you a case manager and speed things up.   If you are working and would like a number at least to enquire if it is available in your area, let me know, by PM or otherwise.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Physiotherapy/Pages/Accessing-physiotherapy.aspx

It sounds so challenging for you; no doubt the pain will be bringing you down.  I hope you get some relief soon.

Fx

panda762

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »

Taz - I've had physio on the NHS before. Once was a few years ago when I had 6 sessions to try to alleviate neck pain (they should've given me the MRI before the physio as the exercises made my osteoarthritis worse). I then had physio last year for severe/chronic lower back pain (possibly a trapped nerve) but after 6 sessions I was in more pain than when I first went there. I'm really not looking forward to more physio but am trying a few exercises at home in the hope that I can ease it myself while I wait for the appointment x

Trey - I agree in this instance. Frozen shoulder was what my boss suggested when I told her my symptoms (she's experienced it before) and was the first thing the GP said x

Firewalker50 - I saw a chiropractor for neck pain many years ago but it cost me all my savings and the relief was only ever temporary. I did, however, ask my GP about an NHS referral and was told (in no uncertain terms) they won't fund 'alternative therapies'. Thank you for the link (I will check it out :) ) x

Thank you lovely ladies for all your replies. Much appreciated  :thankyou:
x

Update - Physio was booked for 21st Feb, then the hospital rang to cancel it and the next one they could offer is 7th March :(

Had to come off codeine (too many issues) and have also now had to come off naproxen (temporarily, due to my second stomach bug of 2013!) so the only pain meds I can have right now are paracetamols (great!!)

Been trying to use my left arm (right one was initially painful but seems to have fixed itself thank goodness) but it's just getting more and more painful. It really is getting much worse despite my attempts at home-physio.

Not 100% certain I'm going to last until March 7th without going back to my GP and begging for an injection.....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:28:47 PM by panda762 »

Cupcake

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »

Ah "frozen shoulder", it's what GP's say when they haven't a clue what it is. If you are getting pain in both shoulders then it's 90% certain that it's referred pain from the spine. Are your neck movements full range?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6