Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sciatica  (Read 9401 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sciatica
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 12:45:41 PM »

My sciatica is caused by not bending down when putting dogs' leads on …….. leaning over which I am not built to do so need to bend  ::)

I have low back pain too ……….. right in the small of my back, I've been sleeping deeply ……….

margaret

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »

Just been to the chemist and he's given me some tablets called Paramol, you can only take them for 3 days.  I can't take anti-inflammatory drugs as I have high blood pressure.  Keeping my fingers crossed they do some good. :)

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »

What's in Paramol?  What's the dosage?

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 12:41:06 PM »

I think Paramol are paracetamol & codeine and they are the strongest pain-killers you can buy over the counter.  My hubby and I have both used them in the past and they do work well or at least did for us.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »

:thankyou:  so it's the codeine that is the risk!

rosebud57

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 08:47:12 AM »

You could need some physio.  I put up with the pain for months then my doc sent me to have some physio and I was very surprised to find the root of the problem was at the top of my spine (between the shoulder blades).  I had two vertebra out of kink and that was throwing the bottom of my spine out and compressing the sciatic nerve.  Was booked for six sessions but only needed four.  The last session I had to lay face down and the vertebra were push back in place ( a bit scary).  Still do the exercises I was given from time to time but would not leave it so long if it came back.  Backs are complicated things and GPs are not experts.  Worth going private if he won't refer (about £25 per session).

Rowan

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »

Totally agree with what rosebud57 has said, I use to go to a therapist who does acupuncture, massage and manipulation, I  lay on my tummy and she would trace my spine and gently using a towel press any vertebrae back into position.

I have not been for a few years because of distance, but I think its time I did.

Back pain is not well managed on the NHS, but they are beginning refer patients out to alternative therapists for acupuncture etc.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »

Back pain is caused because we evolved standing upright  >:( - none of our near relatives do this!  Back pain is incredibly difficult to diagnose, treat and get the patient to maintain an exercise programme in order to keep the spine supple.  Like everything else, once the patient begins to feel better, any exercise regime is forgotten  ;) ......... even a bad pair of shoes can make a HUGE difference to how a person walks = compensation of the spinal column - I often want to stop women in particular in the street and advise them to get better footwear  :-\  :-[ - looking good or buying cheap sandals for the Summer ain't the way to treat our skeleton!

I slept throughout last night without any sciatic pain nor did I have the burning thighs ......... dreamt a lot though!

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »

I have arthritis in my knees and asked a physiotherapist if wearing heels would make any difference or do more harm. He said it would not harm them at all.
I generally wear shoes with heels albeit small ones these days.

I did used to totter about in ridiculously high heels when I was younger.....a lot younger  ;D. Can't manage them at all now.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 03:06:50 PM »

A small heel is supposedly good for posture, but not more than 2" high.  Remember stilettos  :-\ - I saw a bloke in some recently  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 08:22:23 PM »

:lol:
Takes all sorts I guess.

I saw Johnny Depp in town today. He was dressed as Captain what's his name and riding a three wheeler motorbike with a trailer that was done up like a galleon. I have not quite figured out what he was doing.

Honeyb
x
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:23:58 PM by honeybun »

margaret

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 02:14:17 PM »

Hi Ladies,

Paramol not doing the trick, still got pain, I'm going to the docs in the morning, someone suggested getting a muscle relaxant I'll try anything I've had this going on for nearly a month now :'(

Maryjane

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »

Hi Margaret after six weeks of physio x once a week, and daily exercises lasting half an hour, I went to physio today and my Sciatic pain has gone.

Sciatica generally comes from the piriformis muscle hence the need for stretches and exercises, the piriformis becomes contracted and the sciatic nerve gets irritated.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:34 PM »

Oh Jonny Depp  :-*
Pages: 1 [2]