Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Losing weight.  (Read 6424 times)

Dennylou48

Losing weight.
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:49:43 AM »

Hi and good morning, is there anyone that has actually lost there appetite going through awful transition, I'm 48, been peri for 3 years with every symptom imaginable and the last month or so just gone off food. If I was over weight I wouldn't mind but am only 8 and a half stone. It's starting to worry me, please tell me this is a peri symptom.

saffy123

Re: Losing weight.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 02:08:08 PM »

Hi Dennylou, when I had very bad anxiety in the beginning (peri) I really didn't feel like eating at all, never felt hungry... I lost over a stone and looked awful. Once the anxiety was more controlled I gradually started to put weight back on. Now I have a job to keep it off, determined to keep to a size 8.
I do think its worse when you are already small, I did get very paranoid when the weight kept coming off so I know how you feel xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 03:59:12 PM »

I do think that our whole metabolism gets mixed up when the meno hits.  It's worth having a good look at what you eat as well - are you deficient in anything e.g. B12?   B vitamins are vital for stimulating appetite.  I think the same principles apply to loosing weigh as trying to maintain our weight - if you need to loose weight then you simply need to eat less and concentrate on eating high nutrient foods and if you struggle to maintain a good weight then you need to be equally disciplined about eating well even if you don't feel hungry.
BEing low in Vitamin D, Omega 3 and even minerals like magnesium can bring fatigue and low mood - so it's worth looking at what you eat to see if you are getting enough of these things - we often think we have a good diet but many of us don't get the balance we need.
If you are struggling with meno symptoms then it's well worth considering HRT - at 48 HRt may be just what you need.  Dg x

Meg

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »

Dear Dennylou

I lost a lot of weight when my periods stopped at fifty.  It really scared me as I was a little bit overweight from probably my mid thirties until menopause and now I am pretty scrawny and my appetite has changed so that I just dont feel hungry except maybe late on at night or early hours of the morning. You are not on your own and with me I feel that it is hormones.

Meg

jorainbow

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 05:14:41 AM »

I could have cried when I read this (which is not unusual!) as I was beginning to think I was alone in this. I have little appetite and also my tastes have changed completely. I prefer sweet things. I also have increased anxiety which I know causes problems but it's such a change I was getting worried.  Vicious circle.  I'm adopting the little and often principle.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 05:59:07 AM »

Hi Dennylou

It comes at us from all angles doesn't it?! These hormonal changes can wreck havoc with our metabolism. I was always tiny but put on approx 4 stone in each pregnancy, with HRT and also with a horrible migraine prophylaxis which affected by metabolism. I looked liked the Michelin Man each time, everyone thought it was hilarious given my normal size and skinny ankles and wrists!. After each episode the weight fell off me again. I have a pal who barely put on weight in pregnancy and now struggles to maintain her weight too. We are all so different.

I'll echo everything the wise ladies have already said about ensuring that your diet is balanced and not lacking in any of the essential minerals and vitamins. Do you feel well in your self, do you think you may be brewing something? That can affect our appetites. Sometimes anxiety can make people lose weight: do you feel that is possible for you, have you experienced this before in your life? Another thing of course is that our appetites are sometimes affected by the weather: we seem to eat less with the heat and more with the cold.

If you feel anxious about this why don't you ask your GP to do some bloods, they will always investigate unexplained weight loss? It would also put your mind at rest.

How about spoiling yourself and preparing some of your favourite dishes to see if they can ignite your appetite? Haha, Saltimbocca, Bouillabaisse, I've got to stop this, I'm supposed to be losing a few pounds at the moment!!

I wish you well, this pesky meno journey can be a real challenge! x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »

Hi Dennylou

If it's just for a month (the loss of appetite) then probably nothing to worry about (subject to what the others say about making sure you are not deficient in key nutrients), and you haven't lost any weight to speak of - but if it persists I would definitely consult your doctor just to check that all is well.

I had a period of a few weeks when I went off my food and lost some weight but I put it down to a dodgy Thai meal upsetting my stomach and some residual bug perhaps ( I assume it was that) - and my appetite is back to normal - but it lasted for much longer than I would have expected.

Hope you feel like eating again soon - when I was off my food I tended only to want carbs and bland protein!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »

I don't eat properly when anxiety hits.
When I took The Pill my sense of taste/smell altered although I was unaware at the time, I could smell garbage all the while but when I stopped using it as a contraceptive, I could smell the roses  ::)

HORMONES  >:(  ::)