Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 63 out now. (Spring issue, March 2021)

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Not sure about going for a mammogram - advice please  (Read 17660 times)

Gig

Re: Not sure about going for a mammogram - advice please
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2013, 08:38:22 AM »

Thank you CKLD.

I really want to look into this more closely for 2 reasons: health of course and cost.

My gynae suggests mammos every 2 years for women on HRT.  he suggests alternating the NHS mammo with a private one.  In practise this hasn't worked for me because I am being recalled under the NHS system only 15 months after my last private mammo, and have refused them. ( Maybe you can re-scheduale??)

This means I am paying for my mammos and it costs me around £200.  I don't begrudge this if it's once every 2 years ( and assumed it was a potential life saver)  BUT if what some of you are saying is that it won't show up any lumps unless they are an inch in diameter- then what is the point? ( for me or any woman?)

I understood until reading this forum yesterday that the whole point of mammos was to pick up tiny changes and lumps that were too small to be felt ( as borne out by my neighbour's experience.)

I also understood that the most common cancer is DCIS - accounts for 80% of cases- and that this is ONLY found by mammos.  Which would seem to be a good reason for having them.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:30:19 AM by Gig »

CLKD

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »

Some lumps will show on mammogram.  So of course it is important to weigh up how worried you are if you don't go for regular scans.  I had a letter recently to go for the NHS re-call but as I had a mammo in October I was advised to re-schedule this year and see if I can get an appt..  As the 'van' comes to me next Spring I might opt for an appt. there instead of at the Hospital itself.
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Gig

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »

so the link to the US site where it says lumps under 3cms don't show, is not really accurate?

CLKD

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »

It depends on how old the Research is/was, who funded the Research etc..  If in doubt, have a word with your local X-ray Dept..

Firewalker50

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »

This subject is very topical for me, so I appreciate the variety of posts and information so far.

I have been called for a mammogram on 2 April.
For the first time, I am questioning whether to go or not.  Generally I would just go along.
My friend's cancer was picked up early with a mammogram.
Yet I also understand those that are missed and those that are mis-diagnosed or treatment applied causing other problems.   I do not know the 'absolute' facts but there is enough concern being rasied about mammograms and the positives - v - negatives, to make me think carefully.

Part of me does not want to know  because I am not sure how I would want to treat it.  I realise that is 'head in the sand' approach which is unlike me.   Is that new information, or a menopausal change of approach?  who knows.

I am interested in the Digital Thermal Imaging.   

So, having considered all of that I am going to postpone the scan and feel that is right for now.
I will re-assess and explore the Thermal imaging first.
I may indeed go back for the mammogram but that does not feel right for now.

Thanks for your experiences and thoughts.

Fx

CLKD

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2013, 10:25:25 AM »

I thought I would be the sort of person who would bury my head in the sand and shout "Oh not cancer!" - but I had good support from our GP, my husband, the Surgeon and his Team plus the Oncologist; we didn't tell anyone except those who needed to know.  I got on with appts., check ups, radiation treatment; I don't look at the tatoos and think 'Oh I've had cancer'.  It was diagnosed, dealt with, sorted - and as the years went by, forgotten about.

Firewalker50

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »

Thanks for sharing that CLKD.  A different perspective for me.

Fx

CLKD

« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »

At the time it was a HUGE issue for DH and me.  He never did tell me how he felt about it all, told someone else who told me  ::)  ....... sometimes the worry about issues are easier to deal with when confronted with them.  I felt that whilst I was undergoing treatment I was getting rid of any nasties remaining in my body.

I don't think leaving an appt for 6-12 months makes much difference if there is no relative history.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]